Sign in to follow this  
vonoben1944

Creating new charactermodels

I know we cant create new animation, so it would be very interresting to know how to add or edit charactermodels? Can it be done? Is there a way to do this without screwing up animation?

I am sure the animations just need points defined in the p3d file to work, as the engine will most likely be able to animate them itself, for example in the cpp if the addon inherits things from soldierWB, etc.

Notice how character animation uses rigid parts. It's just like vehicles, except the parts are connected with polys on the characters. I guess you'll define each part by poly selections and in another LOD you put vertexes where pivots for each part will be.

I wonder if this will work on characters in different scale?

It depends on whether the animation system uses pivot rotation or goal translation... can you tell us bis?

If scale is possible:

Kids

Trolls

Godzilla biggrin.gif

Godzilla.. Can you picture Godzilla taking a knee? How about going prone and crawling along the ground? He'd also be able to salute, do a pushup and all the other things..

Definately worth it! smile.gif

Konyak

Hmmm....Dont see how its not possible. But i think we might need someone from BIS' opinion

You can create new character models, but the models will be animated using default human skeleton and default human animations. If you will make the model that is very different in size and structure, the results will probably be very strange. If you will make human-like model (or only different version of human), it will work.

Even creating human character is not easy. If you want your character to be skinned properly, many points have to be included in more selections (this bounds them to multiple bones), and you should also assign them bone-weighting coeficients.

Thank you! I have reason to believe we will get deeper into this as we grow more experienced with this tool.

On the topic of model sharing again, it would be cool if we could share our human models, even have a base soldier which we could modify to the type of soldier we want by adding various equipment, etc. ...I may just be dreaming though tounge.gif

Wow.. so I was right. I messed around with the soldiers before having my computer crahsed, too!

-- Short Break---

BTW: I WANT NEW UNLOCK CODES !!! tounge.gif

--- End Break ---

Okay, contunued..

For exemple I took the ski glasses of the western tank crews and put them on normal western soldiers, slightly changed the helmet and deleted the backpacks - and voila: I had a Israeli Shayetet SpecOp biggrin.gif

So remodelling existing characters worked perfectly, although I think that the textures could be a problem! The demo character models seem to use many more different textures then the actual final charcter models! Is their a chance you might release the actual character models as a "editing basis" for us?confused.gif