Sign in to follow this  
HeroesandvillainsOS

4K TV question from someone without PC able to Arma in 4K

Ok so I'm in the market for a new TV. I play my PC on a 1080p TV right now but the television is starting to act up.

This is what I'm confused about. And sorry in advance for what probably seems like a stupid question. I have an i7 6700 K with a GTX 970, which CERTAINLY cannot handle most games in true 4K, especially not at a desirable FPS. Not to mention I'd never even think about playing Arma in 4K with my rig and this is basically the only game I play.

So do 4K TV's automatically or have an option to downsample to a lower resolution . Or would I do that with my in-game settings? Or does my Nvidia Control Panel handle all that? I mean, just about all the TV's in the store are 4K but my games and computer aren't really ready for this kind of upgrade. Not sure what to do TBH.

I'm asking here because Arma is like the only game I play and the only way I use my computer right now. And I couldn't justify any TV that I couldn't play Arma on.

Also, if it's totally safe to buy one, can anyone recommend a model or maybe certain features I should be on the look for?

Wish I could offer some technical advice but Im really new to the whole 4k thing as well and just bought one last week on sale for like $360 -its a 49"LG and man is it absolutely crazy to be sitting in front of this thing compared to my old 'regular monitor 27" I think"

Im running a 6600k at 4.7 and a nvidia 1060 6gb and it runs pretty well. I have all my mods loaded and tho it doesnt feel maybe as split second responsive tight as my old monitor - the crazy "your there" immersion of almost being inside ARm3 is well worth the tradeoff to me.

• Like 1

Wish I could offer some technical advice but Im really new to the whole 4k thing as well and just bought one last week on sale for like $360 -its a 49"LG and man is it absolutely crazy to be sitting in front of this thing compared to my old 'regular monitor 27" I think"

Im running a 6600k at 4.7 and a nvidia 1060 6gb and it runs pretty well. I have all my mods loaded and tho it doesnt feel maybe as split second responsive tight as my old monitor - the crazy "your there" immersion of almost being inside ARm3 is well worth the tradeoff to me.

Thanks man.

But here's what I don't understand. You have a 4K TV. So does that mean you're playing Arma in 4K? I'd be at like 10 FPS if I had to force 4K with my setup.

I'm sure this is probably better suited on AV Forums or whatnot. But Arma is like the only game I care about and I certainly trust the community here. I'd hate to buy one and find out I can't still play Arma in 1080p and I don't have any idea how that's supposed to work.

Yes ingame set to : 4096 x 2160. I just ran the YAAB benchie, set to Standard Preset and left all my 30 mods running (and i mean intensive ones like AI mods, audio and graphical mods) and get a 38 fps average.

Again Im no techie in this area and probably a 970 is not strong enough (for really smooth experience) but damn Arma looks and feels great in a big time way.

• Like 1

Hmmm. Is there any way to force a lower resolution on the TV? What happens if you select 1920 x 1080 in the Arma video settings? Does it run better and look ok?

Hmmm, I just re-ran that Benchie at the 1920 x 1440 and yes it looked like alot more really low LOD building out in the periphery -no comparison looks wise. Performance-wise gained a full 1 FPS :p

Yikes. Sounds like maybe I shouldn't get a 4K TV then.

I'll see how this thread goes and perhaps I'll broaden my search to AV places and Reddit. If I find anything useful I'll post back. I'd have to assume you'd want more frames than you're seeing too.

Without any mods averaging 50 fps at the top resolution. Actually the 38fps/modded doesnt bother me at all but i know many people consider that too low. Luck to ya whatever you decide.

• Like 1

A 4k not, but I settle to play 1080, my pc is:

-I7-4770k
-Gtx780
-SSD
-16 GB
-Win 10

And it does not maintain the 60 fps (I play solo in singleplayer)

My pc exceeds the recommended requirements by a lot and the simulator is unable to maintain the 60 Fps, I wanted to open a thread about optimization but it will not let me, I am new to the forum but not in the saga weapon (operation flashpoint)

Anyone know if they are going to do something about it regarding title optimization?

4 hours ago, SEAL87 said:

A 4k not, but I settle to play 1080, my pc is:

-I7-4770k
-Gtx780
-SSD
-16 GB
-Win 10

And it does not maintain the 60 fps (I play solo in singleplayer)

My pc exceeds the recommended requirements by a lot and the simulator is unable to maintain the 60 Fps, I wanted to open a thread about optimization but it will not let me, I am new to the forum but not in the saga weapon (operation flashpoint)

Anyone know if they are going to do something about it regarding title optimization?

You can ask this in the troubleshooting section, you're spamming several different threads with the same questions.

• Like 1