Sign in to follow this  
PSC

Sizes in oxygene?

Actually it is not really a question, but a realisation. I've placed my BTR-80 in the editor next to the BRDM 2 and took a look at it. This is how it looks:

compared_sizes_hehe.jpg

It (the BTR-80) looks pretty small next to the BRDM 2. So I checked the real life sizes from both of the vehicles, which are (aproximately):

BTR-80:

lenght: 7,5

hight: 2,4

with: 2,9

BRDM 2:

lenght: 5,7

hight: 2,3

with: 2,7

In Oxygene the BTR-80 looks like this:

size_on_grid.jpg

If one grid unit is 1 meter in the game, the BTR-80 should be well proportioned (even a bit too big, 50 cm wink.gif ).

But in the game, next to the BRDM 2, it looks pretty small. Especially the wheels. Even if the sizes of both the vehicles are correct. Did someone of you once see a BTR-80 next to a BRDM 2 in real life, and can confirm that it is like that?

I'm just curious about that. That's all.

Till later, PSC

i always use a soldier in oxygen and look on a real photo where a soldier stands next to that model

PCS! I'll send you the LOD1 of the OFP's original BRDM, so you can adjust the sizes! Just give me your mail...

As you write yourself, the BTR-80 should be 2 meters LONGER and at least 0.1 meter higher! Judging from the picture you need at least 2-5% of scaling, but you rather wait for my mail with the BRDM model...

FlipeR

I think maybe the BRDM in-game is a little oversized. Its my impression anyway since I had the opportunity to stand next top a real one a couple of weeks ago.

I took a look at some real life pictures of both the vehicles again, and I've come to the conclusion that the BRDM is a car that is big, but looks small. These pictures I've used as referrence (I've noted that the BRDM on the picture has a turret, which the BRMD in-game does not have):

btr-80_vs_brdm-2,jpg

Due to that, I've resizesd the BTR-80 again to make it look more real:

sizes_2.jpg

I think it is ok now.

PSC

That looks pretty good to me. Looks like it matches with the pics just right biggrin.gif Nice work man, can't wait to play with that little diddy

Yes it looks real nice. I guess in these cases the rule is: When it feels right it is right.

(I cant really understand why BIS choose to make a brdm without turret. Vehicles with guns are just so much more....useful in-game.)

Hmmm I think it is still too small!!! It seems to me that the right size is about 115% of the original one (not the lates resized model)! Try that PSC....

FlipeR

Ok, I've got a new question, but I don't want to open a new topic. The question is: Does someone know how to change/affect the draft/draught of a swimming vehicle?

I tried to affect it by increasing the mass of the vehicle in geometry LOD. But it seemed to me as if it did not work (maybe I'm wrong with that).

btr80_in_water.jpg

On this screen you can see how it looks at the moment. But it needs to sink deeper into the water to look more realistic.

PSC

Don't know if this will help, but I experimented with the zodiac (not my best example), by selecting the lower half of the boat while in geometry lod and increasing the weight. This effectively lowers the center of gravity.. the blue cross.

Worth a shot.

Cheers

Klink

I've doubled the mass of the vehicle again, just to be sure that this is not the reason, and tried to lower the CG (center of gravity) the way C. K. (Colonel Klink, not Calvin Klein!wink.gif) suggested. Both of the methods did not show any influence on the draught.

Any other suggestions on how to solve this issue would be apreciated.

Till later, PSC

Hmmm. Still a problem. I know that in order for the sub??? to work I had to make it a waterline ship.. but I don't think you want to go that way.

Question: did the m113 in the demo float. I'm not sure if that will help or not.

Sorry the other suggetion didn't work.

Cheers