Sign in to follow this  
lato190

searching the perfect war game (FPS/RTS)

hello,

im searching for a war game that can be FPS/RTS which includes combined arms and is modable, and with this i mean:
Infantry

cars/trucks/transporters

planes/helicopters/drones

ships/destroyers/carriers/submarines etc
nukes/artillery etc

all of that usable

ofcourse, some might come with wargame red dragon or ArmA, but:
-Wargame red dragon has no carriers, submarines, ABC Weapons (shame as this is an cold war game), cargo planes and no modsupport
-ArmA includes almost all of what i want, but: engine support for ships/carriers is bad and large battles are not possible without fps impact

-World in Conflict has interesting aspects, but naval warfare would possible but wouldnt look great (ships would go through terrain or drive on it) also planes are possible but would look bad too (MW Mod, when they change direction, it looks like they lagging) and WiC is pretty much limited in terms of modding (there is a limit of adding new units)

Battlefield vietnam is the only game that comes in my mind but its dated (which makes it hard to mod/play it on newer systems) and features like flares arent possible

im searching for alternatives, RTS/FPS

Have you tried project reality? It doesn't have all the features you want but you may like it

I think ArmA is pretty much the closest to what you want, despite the shortcomings you have mentioned.

I just dont know any other game with such a broad spectre of contents (also provided by mods).

The other option would be DCS World + Combined Arms DLC which turns your combat flight sim into an ArmA High Command like wargame.

It has ground, air and naval assets (including carriers if Im not mistaken). The Editor is quite good, similar to the one in ArmA. However modability isn't there.

Other thing is that its rather vehicle based, infantry is mostly non existant. But you can set up much bigger battles than in ArmA, and its far more realistic regarding the air combat aspect.

And it requires a lot of time and dedication to get into (as most wargames do).

Then there is War Thunder, it has pretty much anything except infantry and you can play it in both arcade and realistic mode.

As mentioned above, Project Reality is a good alternative for some quick fun.

You might try the Men of War Assault Squad 2 or Call to Arms. They are easy to get into and have a lot of mods, many of which go for realism.

However both naval and aerial aspects are not really represented.

Then there are some real wargames and simulators, but most of them are quite specialized.

Ground based:

Combat Mission series for some very realistic ground battles (both WW2 and Modern).

Achtung Panzer/Graviteam Tactics - same as above (WW2, some cold war scenarios).

Flashpoint Campaigns - Red Storm - 80's cold war gone hot tactical hex based wargame, I'm not a big fan of hex wargames, but this one is great. 

Steel Beasts Pro PE - AFV sim in modern setting. Quite costly.

Steel Fury - Tank/AFV sim in WW2 set on the eastern front, has lots of mods.

Steel Armor - Cold War tank sim (M60, T62)

T72 Balkans on Fire - T72, T55, T34 sim.

Naval/Air based:

Command Modern Air Naval Operations - as the title says, air and naval operations, like the Harpoon series, has submarines, carries and pretty much anything. Ground is rather poorly represented though.

Jane's Fleet Command - a more simple naval title and quite old, but still fun. Has 3D graphics.

Naval War Arctic Circle - pretty much same as Fleet Command.

Dangerous Waters - the most actual simulator for modern submarines, has some great mods adding tons of stuff.

Silent Hunter series - WW2 submarine simulator. Watch Das Boot first, then play it and have a lot of fun.

Lock On/DCS series - modern air combat sim.

Wings Over Europe(Vietnam, Israel)/Strike Fighters 2 - a more arcadey air combat sim, but still a sim with a huge amount of mode.

Il2 Shturmovik series - WW2 flight sim.

As for nukes --> DEFCON :D

• Like 2