Sign in to follow this  
Timmothias

Some questions

i posted these at the ofpec forums, but no responses yet. so i'll post here too. its just a bunch of questions i have about o2 and ofp modeling in general.

1) is each square on the grid equal to 1m x 1m?

2) about how big is an OFP person in oxygen. if the answer to question #1 is "yes", then how many meters high and wide is a person.

3) i don't understand Resolution LODS completely. is it the higher the number, the more detailed the model? also, i heard that the max number for res. lods is 12.000, is this true? also, are there set numbers i have to use for the LODs, or can i just put 5.673 and 2.465 and OFP will automatically use them whenever needed. also any other tutorials or tips you could give me would help.

4) still looking for a free 3d modeling program you guys use; so if you could recommend one it would help a lot.

5) any function or tool in oxygen i can use to level the model exactly with the ground? i dont really wanna approximate and then have a little space between the ingame model and the ingame ground.

6) i dont see these normals i keep hearing about. do i need to create them, or should they automatically come when i create a face?

1. Approx 1m

2. dunno.... d/l demo models and cut and paste selection :proxy:cargo or driver from jeep it will show you a triangle that will give you an idea of height. It should throw a driver model into the viewer as well I think..?

3. Lower the resolution the more detailed. There appear to be no defined numbers but don't quote me on this. smile.gif

4. Its going to sound like Im being funny but O2 is pretty good (and free) Otherwise Milkshape3D is okay but it becomes a pain to convert files so that O2 can read them.

5. Don't know

6. File options - normals check box.

yea, i think O2 is a pretty powerful program. it just has the weirdest interface i've ever seen. usually, hotkeys aren't really necessary to use. in O2, thats what they seem to be, because there are a lot of things i know there are hotkeys are, but no way to access them via a menu or something else.

oh yea, one more question:

any way to create a vertex at a certain set of x,y,z coordinates? i want something a little more precise than just point and "insert"

If you click on a vertex that exists on the plane where you want the new one.... and have x or y locked, then

Shift - RMB and drag will make a vertex wherever you let go of the mouse, even though it looks like you are moving a vertex.

You can set a vertexes position by selecting it and Points -> Properties. There is a x, y, z coordinates box there but it would take a lot of time to do anything

Shift RMB and locked planes is the way to go.

http://www.anim8or.com/main/index.html i was having a kfdata error but found a link to this site import your 3ds models here and click options/debug/dummy kdata/then click objects /export o2 opens this so you can model outside o2 also tutorials on this site hope this is of use. good beginer software is blender which has loads of tutorials from beginer to advanced but this only exports in dxf available here http://www.elysiun.com and to convert dxf to 3ds you could try this site http://amapi.idevgames.com/ this is also a modelling program (but i find blender easier to use) which is also free but i cant find as many tutorials on this pain in the rear but its possible to get it into o2 (eventually)and its all free

thanks a bunch everybody. expect to see a killer mission coming out of my "office" wink.gif soon.

ok, about the normals, i check the box, and still see nothing. when you create a face, what direction do the normals default to? maybe i can find em there. if not, any other ideas?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (scousejedi @ Sep. 15 2002,23:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">2. dunno.... d/l demo models and cut and paste selection :proxy:cargo or driver from jeep it will show you a triangle that will give you an idea of height. It should throw a driver model into the viewer as well I think..?<span id='postcolor'>

where exactly do you find these demo models?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

1) is each square on the grid equal to 1m x 1m?

<span id='postcolor'>

It is equal to 1m x 1m, not just approximately

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

2) about how big is an OFP person in oxygen. if the answer to question #1 is "yes", then how many meters high and wide is a person.

<span id='postcolor'>

Between 1.7 and 1.8 meters tall

3) i don't understand Resolution LODS completely. is it the higher the number, the more detailed the model? also, i heard that the max number for res. lods is 12.000, is this true? also, are there set numbers i have to use for the LODs, or can i just put 5.673 and 2.465 and OFP will automatically use them whenever needed. also any other tutorials or tips you could give me would help.

<span id='postcolor'>

The numbers tells you at what distance OFP switches from one LOD to the next. The first one, (lowest number, highest detail) always starts at 0.000 so the number you give it tells OFP when to switch to the next one.

1.000 means that after 100 meters it switches to the next one.

2.000 means after 200 meters.

0.200 means after 20 meters.

There is no max number, but you can't really see the models beyond 16.000

4) still looking for a free 3d modeling program you guys use; so if you could recommend one it would help a lot.

<span id='postcolor'>

asked and answered. Between Anim8or and Wings 3D you're pretty much set. The two tools work quite differently so select the one that suits you best.

5) any function or tool in oxygen i can use to level the model exactly with the ground? i dont really wanna approximate and then have a little space between the ingame model and the ingame ground.

<span id='postcolor'>

Nope. None that the ModMakers have found yet anyways.

If you create stuff from the "Create" menu you have the option of "Align bottom" which will align the bottom of the object in question along the ground/center line in O2.

And if you zoom in and move, the difference won't be noticed in the game. Remember, the grids are 1m x 1m, if you at max zoom have the bottom of your object as close to the red line as possible, that would equal a couple of millimeters in the game, hardly noticable.

6) i dont see these normals i keep hearing about. do i need to create them, or should they automatically come when i create a face?

<span id='postcolor'>

Asked and answered as well.

File -> Options -> "View normals"

check that and you're off.

Also, press F5 to recalculate the normals on your model, it will make them face the right directions.

Cheers, KTottE

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KTottE @ Sep. 16 2002,07:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

3) i don't understand Resolution LODS completely. d give me would help.

<span id='postcolor'>

The numbers tells you at what distance OFP switches from one LOD to the next.<span id='postcolor'>

No, it does not. As its name tells, it describes what detail ("resolution") is each LOD level modelled to. The number has no absolute scaling, it is always compared relative to other models, but it can be undertood as a size of the typical detail LOD level contains (LOD level precision, or error when compared to the finest LOD).

Okay, I was actually getting that info from an old post made in the Oxygen board. Oh well, but it's still Higher numbers = Lower detail, Lower numbers = Higher detail, right?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KTottE @ Sep. 16 2002,12:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh well, but it's still Higher numbers = Lower detail, Lower numbers = Higher detail, right?<span id='postcolor'>

Yes. Note: Acutally both explanation are equivalent, except for scale.