tazmania720

Am I doing it wrong?

I have this feeling I am sizing things wrong.  

My .asc is leaving L3DT as a 2048x2048 with a horizontal scale of 10.

In TB, the size is 20480x20480.

I made the mask and satellite image in GIMP as a 2048x2048 and they are in TB as 20480x20480.

Is this correct?  They work in game, but based on some things I have been seeing/reading I feel this is not correct.  Any help would be great.  Thanks.

Your Sat Mask should be 20480x20480, same as the surface mask. The original file needs to be that, so TB don't stretch it and make it look crappy. The heightmap is fine

it is correct 

Apart from he has a mega low res sat map of 2048x2048, when it should be 20480x20480

it is correct 

It'll work but isn't correct, everything on it will be strecthed 10 times because the cell size is 10 meters per pixel.

What Rof said is the correct way to do it, also the mask must also be the same size @ 20480 x 20480

What i would mention though, as a first terrain 20480 will take forever to complete, do a smaller terrain as practise, you'll learn far much more on a smaller first attempt :)

I have a separate, but related question to tazmania's Am I doing it wrong?

Can you shift .asc origin coordinates, and how? (If you can answer this, the rest of my post has been solved)

Here is my predicament:

L3DT's inability to export georeferencing data with .asc

(according to this "georeferencing in L3DT is only supported by the BT, HFZ and GeoTIFF plugins."

Take this situation:

You have your objects, shapes, layers in Qgis or other Gis software with exact real world coordinates.

You have your L3DT edits on your heightmap, which you now must export with coordinates 0,0

When you pull these into Terrain Processor to build create forests, flatten terrain on roads, etc. will your heightmap accept these changes that take place NOT at 0,0?

Also, do all the tutorials suggest mapframe in TB of (200000, 0) because of this limitation in L3DT?

Terrain Processor doesn't read the heightmap when making forests, it just fills the shapes. Your should import you shapes into Terrain Builder first and make sure it all lines up ok, then export the shapes from that and use them files in TP.

If you wanted to change the coords of an .asc file, you can just open it in Notepad++ and change the 3rd and 4th line.

ncols         2048
nrows         2048
xllcorner     200000.000000
yllcorner     0.000000
cellsize      10.000000
  • Like 1