Sign in to follow this  
raptor 6 actual

Another Non-convex question

So, to start off with, YES, I did search first :) .  However, even learning what the convex and non-convex means as far as polygons go, I'm needing help on the interior of a ship....to be specific, the "tank deck". I know of no other way to make this a "convex" shape. It fits inside the hull and I'm trying to make it a separate .p3d to cut down on total poly count in my main hull.

Do any of you have a work around on how to accomplish this? Picture link is attached

Thanks in advance for helping on the Landing Ship Tank (LST) picture available here

You dissect it into pieces (mostly boxes) that are each convex. Just like you would make the interior of a house convex (see A3 samples).

Also, remember to make the shape more simple. Fitting the curvature of the real hull perfeclty would need alot of seperate pieces and also isnt necessary. For buoyancy LOD you need to simplify it extremely (see A3 boat sample).

one more thing here, the side walls should have some thickness, and not thin sheet...

Thanks for reminding me of the sample models. I did as you suggested and broke down the model so as not to have any concave items. However, when running STRUCTURE-->CONVEXITY-->Find Non-Convexities once more, it highlighted just as many verts.

Upon looking at the test car in Sample Models, running the same process, even the sample car ended up with almost every vert highlighted. So, in a way that makes me wonder if I don't have Object builder setup properly, or if it's something else.

Am I looking at this the wrong way by chance?

@PuFu- I will get to that next, thank you.

Am I looking at this the wrong way by chance?

Very likely. Only LOD that contain "Geometry" in the name do strictly require to be convex. In the sample car  nothing highlights in those specific LOD. Resolution LOD can be non-convex.
  • Like 1