opteryx

Satmap Size for Huge Terrain

So I'm playing with the idea of making a map the same size as the Asia terrain from ToH, it's supposedly 4096x4096 with a 30m cell size, that makes the entire map 120km x 120km. Now obviously this is gonna need a huge satmap. I'm thinking of trying a satmap that's 51200 x 51200px. Will this dimension work? Back in Arma 2 I had a terrain with a 25600px satmap and that worked.

Thoughts?

So I'm playing with the idea of making a map the same size as the Asia terrain from ToH, it's supposedly 4096x4096 with a 30m cell size, that makes the entire map 120km x 120km. Now obviously this is gonna need a huge satmap. I'm thinking of trying a satmap that's 51200 x 51200px. Will this dimension work? Back in Arma 2 I had a terrain with a 25600px satmap and that worked.

Thoughts?

The good thing about terrain builder is that you can split the sat map onto 4 chunks and import them each individually. Reducing the size of one solid import which also makes it easier when you need to edit sections of the sat map

I've been thinking of doing that, but I would still have to make one huge satmap that I have to spilt up. Is there any information on how to import multiple satmaps in TB?

Is there any information on how to import multiple satmaps in TB?

It's pretty much the same as importing one sat map, you just have to change the northing / easting to the correct offset for each tile to line them up. The offset would be the size in pixels for each tile.

Say you had 4 tiles of 5120x5120 then bottom left would be 200000 - 0, bottom right would be 200000 - 5120, top left 205120 - 0 and top right 205120 - 5120

• Like 1

I've been thinking of doing that, but I would still have to make one huge satmap that I have to spilt up. Is there any information on how to import multiple satmaps in TB?

I'm not sure if there's a lot of info on it. It's really not too complicated. You need to create four map frames each on offset according to the size of the terrain square. Then import each section of the terrain into that mapframe.

I used global mapper to export my terrain and sat map into four squares.

Thanks for the info guys! I will be making the satmap by hand because there isn't really any quality satellite images that size that are good enough.

Thanks for the info guys! I will be making the satmap by hand because there isn't really any quality satellite images that size that are good enough.

Bing has good one's, then use global mapper to line it up.

So I've just spent 12 hours and it basically failed...

https://s31.postimg.org/riixcoiqh/sat.jpg

At first I tried to make a 51200px satmap, but that grinded my computer to a halt so I went for the splitting up the satmap, applied all the same values to the individual quadrants, but it looks like the auto-tone I applied messed up the seamlessness.

Any ideas what do to?

I hope someone proves me wrong but I don't think there's an easy fix for that unless you know your way around Photoshop or another image editing program and even then it would be quite some work.

-edit

Have you tried without applying the auto-tone you mentioned?

I think I might have a workaround, but it's gonna take many hours so I'll have a go at it tomorrow.

Really wish photoshop could handle huge textures better.

I think I might have a workaround, but it's gonna take many hours so I'll have a go at it tomorrow.

Really with photoshop could handle huge textures better.

If you have other hard drives in your pc, set photoshop to use them as well. It helps a lot!

Okay, so I've gotten to the point where I wanna generate layers, but when I tried to do so it only generated layers from one of the four sat/mask tiles. How do I get it to generate layers from all four?

Okay, so I've gotten to the point where I wanna generate layers, but when I tried to do so it only generated layers from one of the four sat/mask tiles. How do I get it to generate layers from all four?

You need to create a mapframe that encompasses the whole terrain. I have a feeling you initial mapframe only has the lower left square encompassed?

The terrain I imported fits perfectly under the four sat/mask rasters.

pic

The terrain I imported fits perfectly under the four sat/mask rasters.

pic

Can you show pics of the mapframe setup

looks good Opteryx,  :)

(if you have the famous Bottomline Bug,

change the Surface mask tiles size to 1024x1024 or 512x512px.,

this make the bottomline Bug maybe smaller.

With this size of a terrain this lovely Bug its sure a few Kilometers wide. :o )

Okay, so I got layers successfully generated and converted to .paa, but buldozer hangs up on "painting the ground", it's been like that for 40 min now and nothing is happening. Suggestions?

That's why I was suggesting splitting the terrain up in quarters. For a terrain that size I would expect it to take upwards of a hour or more. I tested a large 40k terrain and it did for me

i suggest to use a low satmap until you finish your island and when you rfinish your project , crunch the final hires satmap. I had the same problem with my island and now i use low satmap (quick load for buldozer)

So are you guys seriously telling me that when BIS developed ToH they came in the morning, fired up buldozer and just sat there for an hour waiting just to start editing the map? There's got to be a faster way, I mean the ToH map fires up within a minute ingame, why is buldozer so slow?

Well they are not using the same software. And I'd be willing to bet they have the terrain split into 4 sections for faster loading time

i think because it is for the public and not for developers....   :)

btw.... why you need hires sat for editing??  crunch the hires for a test to see it ingame , and when your island is ready  finish it with hires...... 

with hires You will have problems even with crunch times.... with low res i have my island ready in 148 secs average time. When i test my island with the hires the time of the crunch is too longgggggggggggggg. not worth it ......

So if I split the terrain in 4 parts, does it load all 4 of them, or just one quadrant in buldozer?