Sign in to follow this  
Blake

The directspeak channel in ofp

The directspeak channel is fun to use in Multiplayer but the volume is way too low to work well. With large squads even group chat gets very 'noise'polluted' quickly as people talk to each other.

It would be cool feature to have some kind of yell mode for directspeak channel so you could shout to your teammates from realistic distances, like 50 meters away and still be audible. How about adding a special 'yell button' which could be pressed and then the voice would be louder on the directspeak channel.

Just a thought...

Why would everybody use that yell option then - there are instances you really don't want to yell but talk with normal voice or whisper as enemies would hear you smile.gif

I think it's possible to make AI react to direct speak voice so it could be really cool.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blake @ Nov. 04 2002,15:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think it's possible to make AI react to direct speak voice so it could be really cool.<span id='postcolor'>

That would be something!

Do you know if DirectSpeak sound actually plays from the talking Players position? Or is it just mono stuff?

I agree, the concept of a Direct Speaking channel is great, but in practice, it doesn't work very well because the volume is way too low. I'd say it has to be at least twice as loud to be useable.

I wonder what the setup is under which BIS developed and tested that, because I'm sure it worked in a satisfactory manner for them, or they would have tweaked it further.

I would like a directspeak channel only if a proper communications system is set up. that means only those with radios (commanders, one per squad and vehicles). Then squad leaders would get orders over the radio and then us directspeak to give orders to squadmembers.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PitViper @ Nov. 05 2002,13:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I would like a directspeak channel only if a proper communications system is set up. that means only those with radios (commanders, one per squad and vehicles). Then squad leaders would get orders over the radio and then us directspeak to give orders to squadmembers.<span id='postcolor'>

Yea, but we are talking about direct speak... everyone has a voice, even a Private. (believe it or not) tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Nov. 05 2002,15:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PitViper @ Nov. 05 2002,13:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I would like a directspeak channel only if a proper communications system is set up. that means only those with radios (commanders, one per squad and vehicles).  Then squad leaders would get orders over the radio and then us directspeak to give orders to squadmembers.<span id='postcolor'>

Yea, but we are talking about direct speak... everyone has a voice, even a Private. (believe it or not)  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

yes.. but the volume should be based on the distance from the leader. like in reality smile.gif

Since OFP doesn't support voice comms in Sockets, our squad has played with Directplay netcode which is also good since we have very fast server and can take 20+ players easily.

Next patch should include some voice comms options like command in the editor to disable certain radio channels from certain players etc. Imagine two squads and one guy in each acting as 'voice comm' radioman and others could only use only direct speak to talk or shout. Would be very immersive and radio guys could really be useful.

Situational awareness is sometimes too high in OFP...

Voice comms with or without sockets is still worth developing more I think. The group/vehicle channel systemi is already quite novel and is worth closer look.

I understand that most people who play on public servers will never have the option to use voice, but situation is entirely different on private servers.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blake @ Nov. 07 2002,01:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Next patch should include some voice comms options like command in the editor to disable certain radio channels from certain players etc. Imagine two squads and one guy in each acting as 'voice comm' radioman and others could only use only direct speak to talk or shout. Would be very immersive and radio guys could really be useful.

Situational awareness is sometimes too high in OFP...<span id='postcolor'>

this is what I'm talking about. sorry about the misunderstanding.