Hi Folks,

Been trying to figure out how to use all the various squad commands...

I'm starting to get the hang of it... Two pretty basic commands seem to be missing from the default menus...

When in formation - is there a way to control the distance between squad members ? Spread Out - Close It Up ?

It seems as squad leader - I am always on point - is there away to put one or two individuals out in front a bit - on point ?

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott

Hi Folks,

Been trying to figure out how to use all the various squad commands...

I'm starting to get the hang of it... Two pretty basic commands seem to be missing from the default menus...

When in formation - is there a way to control the distance between squad members ? Spread Out - Close It Up ?

It seems as squad leader - I am always on point - is there away to put one or two individuals out in front a bit - on point ?

Thanks...

Regards,

Scott

i'm not an expert, but there is no direct way to tell the squad to spread or tighten formation.However, putting them in "stealth" mode will make them spread apart a bit. Then to get over the fact of them crouching a lot in stealth mode, you can use this handy copy my stance mod-they will mirror your stance until you tell them to stop.Handy for sneaky situations or if you need them to be up and moving fast-http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=22628

Regarding putting guys ahead of you, try using the echelon left or right command or the "V" formation.

You can also order them to advance or flank left/right, but it's a little more further than just a bit.

I usually send two or more guys who aren't next to each other to flank to get nicely spread out formation on more open terrain.

Hi Folks,

Thanks for your responses...

I'll try your suggestions as see how I can make out...

Been watching a video on arma squat tactics on YouTube and it seems to be recommending the use of a voice control program for this... The menus are truly awkward to use in the heat of battle...

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It takes practice but it's manageable without voice control. I often compare getting good at the squad commands to learning how to play a RTS at a semi-competitive level. 

For the most part, both in combat and stealth modes. The squad will naturally spread out more, due to the need to find their own cover. 

If you need a point man, aka not you. Just order the guy with the best optics to advance. Keep in mind it's about 50-60m he will be advancing, you can put him in combat or stealth mode to slow him down so you can stay in a pretty tight formation.

Hi Silent,

Thanks for your response as well... I'll play around with it... In the video I recently watched - the author was highly recommending C2... I'll download and try that as well... After all these years - I'm surprised the two features I mentioned haven't been included - maybe the new Tanoa might make the need apparent... Close jungle warfare - where you can't see very far ahead - point man is almost essential to avoid an ambush... It can get tedious manually positioning your point...

Appreciate all your insights and help - everyone....

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am very comfortable with controlling my squad members. I use a couple of tactics, none very complicated.

- change formation (select all with tilde key, press 7, press a number for formation)

- use v-formation as default, with you in front

- use line, when you expect trouble, they will be next to you, spread out

- use staggered when covering large distance, they will move in a line behind you, roughly following your path and not get stuck on terrain

- use COMBAT (select all, press 8, press 2)

- when going into COMBAT mode, your squad will move about and seek cover etc.

- switch to AWARE to cover larger distances

- use F1 etc. to select individual soldiers and click on positions to move your soldiers there for very specific control, like covering the corners of a cross roads. Use command view mode (SPACE), to get a birds eye view

- use select all and nr 1, nr 1 to make soldiers return to formation. Use nr 1, nr 6 to make individual or all units stop

- make all units go prone for ambush situation

Just practice until you know the important codes by heart, your squad will be an oiled machine. It's really cool to very quickly point indidual units to different positions and then see them moving out just like you said.

I did all the codes for years by hand tilde-1-1 = return to formation etc., but now I got a gaming keyboard with extra keys that I programmed to do the commands with one push of a button. Good luck!

Hi...

Thanks for the details on your use of the squad commands - taking it all on-board - every bit helps...

;)

I loaded C2 and one thing I noticed - which may or may not be different from vanilla (not sure) - is that C2 has a "Vee" formation with the squad leader in the rear and two forward sweeping echelons with the squad leader forming the anchor - seems to be the best formation available for moving through dense jungles when expecting contact to me... I spend the bulk of my time on Unsung...

Regards,

Scott

Sounds good. V formation is a formation in Vanilla too. It is the opposite of Wedge. In my experience however, using V formation can lead to an early loss of a couple of squad members. That depends on the situation of course (skill level etc.), so I'm curious how that works out in Jungle.

• Like 1