Sign in to follow this  
FSPilot

Army under fire for "sniper" video game...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Oct @ Nov. 02 2002,03:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif4--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FallenPaladin @ Nov. 01 2002,19wow.gif4)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Oct @ Nov. 01 2002,17:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">well whats the difference in AA and OFP? if AA has to go, wouldn't it be logical for OFP to be removed as well? sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Why? It`s been made by a tzech firm, the US Army isn`t using it as spyware against you and you can play all sides!  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

well being devloped in another country would have little to do w/ it. if these people have it there way, and remove AA than most likely ofp will follow too.<span id='postcolor'>

I just think there is no american interest behind the creation of OFP. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FallenPaladin @ Nov. 02 2002,09:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Oct @ Nov. 02 2002,03:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FallenPaladin @ Nov. 01 2002,19wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Oct @ Nov. 01 2002,17:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">well whats the difference in AA and OFP? if AA has to go, wouldn't it be logical for OFP to be removed as well? <!--emo&sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Why? It`s been made by a tzech firm, the US Army isn`t using it as spyware against you and you can play all sides!  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

well being devloped in another country would have little to do w/ it. if these people have it there way, and remove AA than most likely ofp will follow too.<span id='postcolor'>

I just think there is no american interest behind the creation of OFP.  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

hmm we are on two differnt perspectives here, your comparing of U.S. army interest in games, while im comparing tword the more relistic violance and comparisons of the two lunitics involved in the DC killings and weapons often found in games that have been linked to real life murders.

True, there are two discussion lines in this tread. One that deals with the use of a game as recruiting tool for an army and another one that deals with the influence violence in games has on kids (and the problems their parents have with that) .

To satisfy both points:

1. I don`t have problems with games made by any army, as long no recruiter knocks on my door. But only if the game is well made. The morality problem some people have with that is understandable, but I can live with that. Don`t think the US army will carry me out of my room, they sure don`t force-recruit any germans  tounge.gif  wink.gif

2. People that blame games to be responsible for murders are just stupid. I`m playing since I was ten and I haven`t killed anyone in the last thirteen years. And I don`t feel I missed something. I`m rather peaceful   biggrin.gif

People that go out and kill someone accordingly to a game... I think the chances for that are 1 to 10.000 !!

When that sick guy here in Erfurt shot the people in that school, everyone here in Germany was blaming games (especially Counterstrike) and shooting clubs. The media even said, he trained on a special map he made for CS!!

And finally the police found out, he didn`t even had CS!!!

So much for that...

*sigh*

I just hate it when dumb parents act like this: Protect our children, cry cry cry, blah blah blah, my kid is being trained to kill, cry cry cry, blah blah blah.

Stupid idiots...

You all want to know something REALLY scary?confused.gif

Monday, an army recruiter is coming to my house! EEK! wow.gif

Hurry!! Logon AA and teamkill anybody!!! If you play too bad, the recruiter will know that you are a terrible wannabe-soldier and leave you alone!

H U R R Y ! ! ! tounge.gif

These parents don't want to raise their kids,  they want society to raise their kids.  That is why they want to deprive everyone else of these games.  They can take the game away from their kid if they feel it is not appropriate, but where do they get off telling other kids who can handle these games to give em up??

Exactly PitViper, a responsible parent can monitor and control their childs activities, including which games they play.

Those who use the excuse "we can't watch them 24 hours a day" are just plain lazy or stupid. Applying that logic, they would have someone else be in control of what poisons and medications are in their house, to stop kids getting at them.

Is that realistic? Of course not...it's up to the parents to see that toxins are out of their childrens reach.

Same with computer games. Period.

So you guys really believe that computer games can affect a kid? A kid that's a sniper in OFP can transform into a serial killer who shoots real people for fun?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FallenPaladin @ Nov. 01 2002,07:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How should you be able to train killers on a PC?

How could someone who never had a real gun in his hand be an excellent sniper, just by learning to shoot in a game with a mouse in his hand?<span id='postcolor'>

No! biggrin.gif

Man, i bet it's pretty frustrating when you can't hit shit with your M21 in real life. And what a crappy scope too, one thing is for sure. That sniper guy did NOT play OFP...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Nov. 02 2002,18:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So you guys really believe that computer games can affect a kid?  A kid that's a sniper in OFP can transform into a serial killer who shoots real people for fun?<span id='postcolor'>

Personally, no. But if these jackoffs are so concerned that it will do this to their kids, then they should show enough responsibility to keep their kids from playing them.

I would rather these morons were explained that it their responsibility to keep things that they deem dangerous or inappropiate out of their childrens hands, than see these type of games banned from stores and be unavailable to anyone.

Personally, I don't think computer games would cause anyone to turn into a psychopath, much less train them with the skills required to kill people.

Sure, in some rare cases, they may be the trigger for some already unstable individual to go out and start killing, but then again it is just as likely that anything else could have set these people off: a TV commercial, a song, getting a bad burger from McDonalds etc.

For instance, the "Son of Sam" killer claimed a black labradore told him to kill...should all dogs be banned? And the "Night Stalker" killer said that an AC/DC song told him to go kill.

The point is these people were obviously already mentally ill and unstable, you can hardly blame the triggers for their condition.

As you can see, this type of media hype really pisses me off.

"training new snipers"

There's difference in just calculating lead and range in OFP to doing it in real life. Smoothly leading with a real rifle over ranges of 400 metres is a bitch and not many people can do it. I've fired at moving targets (paper thingys, i'm not tough enough to be a grunt! lol) on the range and it's quite a bit different from just moving the mouse.

If anything OFP should teach you not to join the military because you die! I think that was the intended pupose of the game by BIS

I haven't played AA but i'm sure it's not about getting a rifle and going on killing sprees!

But then again i don't think guns should be widely available to the public in America. I'm still proud at the fact that our police don't have to walk the streets with firearms.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jinef @ Nov. 03 2002,08:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But then again i don't think guns should be widely available to the public in America.<span id='postcolor'>

You know, your country (Great Britain, I assume) is the reason we carry handguns.

if kids aren't allowed to play video games with violence, they'll still play their own real-life violent games, such as cops and robbers or army men. lol can you believe a kindergartner got expelled from school for pointing his finger at another student while they were playing cops and robbers on the playground?? society these days!!! anyway, kids (particularly boys) LIKE playing around and shooting each other. i cant think of a single guy who hasn't, at one point in his life, played a game with his friends where they pretend to kill each other in one form or another. yet, even though all these boys were brought up playing such VIOLENT games (like pointing those stick-guns at each other and saying "bang bang your dead"), the vast majority of them turned out ok in the end. its amazing how that works isnt it? biggrin.gif

.......Someone mentioned Patriotism.......after 9/11 every house in the god-damn-world had flags ouitside. Nothing is wrong with that, but shouldnt we of had flags anyways? I mean it shouldnt take 2,700-something people to die to make us realize that its good to be patriotic.

Same with FPS's........Just because one little f*cked up guy wanted to kill 10 ppl with a sniper rifle doesnt mean he played Silent Scope(Thats the most unrealistic Sniper game BTW). What it does mean is hes one f*cked up guy that likes to kill ppl, and thus get busted after his spree. Come on America. 1,000,000,000,000 gamers cant be wrong, dont balme the .000009% of them that go haywire on videogames......

AMEN. lol

There is something fundamentally wrong with our society that causes this stuff to happen, but it is not video games.

Really I think video games could help decrease violence somewhat: Instead of people taking their anger out on other people, they can take their anger out on the stupid AI in a game.

"Someone mentioned Patriotism.......after 9/11 every house in the god-damn-world had flags ouitside. Nothing is wrong with that, but shouldnt we of had flags anyways?"

not really, true we don't have a country to be patriotic about.

But there's something more patriotic in having subtle pride instead of overt flags all over the place.

i went to New York in the summer to see some relatives and although New York is going to have more flags obviously, i still felt that it was overdoing it. on a twenty minute trip i counted over 400 flags!

btw there is 2 known Welsh flags in New york. One on a shop somewhere near central station and one on my closest relative's house. Go Wales!

I think that there is indeed a connection between computer games and real violence. However that doesn't mean that there is a cause-effect relation between them. On the contrary I think that they are both part of the cultural phenomena that is glorifying violence. I think it has also a lot to do about the change of generation. In 60'/70' it was sex and drugs. In the 90's it's violence. A form of a youth rebellion that leaves its traces in society.

Having said that, I also think we must learn to separate culture induced violence and "normal" violence that springs from nomal human behaviour. We will always have homicidal maniacs and people will always kill each other regardless of the culture base.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Nov. 03 2002,14:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In 60'/70' it was sex and drugs.<span id='postcolor'>

wow.gif OFP==Operation Flower Power