Sign in to follow this  
brsseb

Addon causing scenery to flicker/disapear

hi

Ned help with my heli model. its almost done, but some strange problem is making it look pretty bad ingame. Here is an example:

Normal shot from Nogova:

before.jpg

Same shot, but with my addon infront. Notice the missing buildings and threes:

after.jpg

(if above images dont work, try the main dir. The pics are called "before" and "after": picture root)

Can anyone tell me whats wrong? Ive got all the neccesary LODS ("0.000", Geo/Frie/Hitpoints/Memory/Landcontact ,you-name-it). It flies good and looks otherwise not to bad.

Any help welcome!

Hi, that problem often happens to my addons - I think it is when u make the geomotry LOD bigger than visual LOD, to stop people walking through walls. Might not be to do with that, but I know what problem u are talking about. Dont know a solutiuon, but I dont really mind that problem personaly.

Hey I didnt notice it was that bad - normaly for me only like a tree or so disappears - not an entire building

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (A.W.O.L @ Oct. 30 2002,15:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi, that problem often happens to my addons - I think it is when u make the geomotry LOD bigger than visual LOD, to stop people walking through walls. Might not be to do with that, but I know what problem u are talking about. Dont know a solutiuon, but I dont really mind that problem personaly.<span id='postcolor'>

Cant be. The size of structues in the Geo lod doesnt have to be smaller that the visual one. No way. Proof: Im most heli addons the main rotor (thin, long blades) is presented by a big flat box that covers the entire spin area (meaning its 10 times bigger than the actual rotor). So that cant be it.

But a welcome sugestion, anyway. More help needed. anyone??

brsseb

very strange a entire building disappears wow.gif

hey brsseb are you gonna make a helicopter tutorial after you sorted your problem m8 wink.gif

Of topic man brsseb you are just like hudini you have hocus pocused the entire building biggrin.gif Hope someone can help you maybe Suma

Make a View geometry lod of your res lod.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SFG @ Oct. 31 2002,02:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Make a View geometry lod of your res lod.<span id='postcolor'>

Ahhhhhhhh!

V helpful. Yup, it works.

Prospero

wink.gif

Edit: Keywords: view geometry flicker disappear disappears disappeared LOD LODs opaque transparent invisible see through see-through vanish vanishes vanishing flash flashes flashing wink winks winking alpha channel mask masks masked smoke clear behind wanking oooops....;)

etc wink.gif

Make a view geo of res geo? Why? Not all heli addons have that?!?

I`ll try anyway..and yes Im working on that heli tutorial and I wont release it before this this problem is out of the way.

you can also add property "canocclude" with value "0" to the model to totally disable occlusion culling (hidden object removal) from the model

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ Oct. 31 2002,13:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">you can also add property "canocclude" with value "0" to the model to totally disable occlusion culling (hidden object removal)  from the model<span id='postcolor'>

Thankz for all responze people. Its working now, no flickering.

nice.jpg

I made a view geo out of the res geo and now it works. Mind telling me why, someone? Because that solution makes no sence to me smile.gif.

Editing the property canocclude cant be a good solution. The game SHOULD do hidden object removal to increase performance. And disabeling it half-vay, like 0.4 or something is not good for anything but threes, right? So AI can see trought leefes and light bushes.

But can someone tell me why the view geo trick worked? Ive learned that Geometry is just used for collision detection and for the physics. And with the "View" in front it makes no sence.

brsseb (chopper tut en ruote)