Sign in to follow this  
sharpie7051

Eden random start position by grouping team leader to empty marker

Hi everyone, so I've ran into a problem with the new Eden update. For a lot of my missions I like to set up random start locations around the map for my missions and to do this i just drop a much of empty markers on the map and group (not sync) these markers to the team leader of a group. Now with Eden, my team mates don't start at the random location with their group leader, instead they start where they are put on in the editor. With the old 2D editor, as long as you put teammates to start "In Formation" they would always start in formation regardless of where the team leader started, making it very easy to create missions with a random start location every play through. Also before someone suggests this, I am aware that right clicking on units and going to "Transform" there is an "In Formation" button that snaps units into formation; this doesn't work the same way as it did in the old 2D editor and doesn't make units automatically start in formation. 

So my question to the community is since the Eden editor was released how can I accomplish this? 

Thank you and I really appreciate any help on this, 

That sounds like a bug. The easiest way would be to teleport your teammates after the mission has begun.

Thank you R3vo, its been my temporary fix for this by using MCC to teleport the rest of my team to my location. Unfortunately it breaks a core part of my mission as I don't spawn with a map and opening MCC to teleport my team to me gives away my location. haha

Its definitely a (one of many) bug, even if you set a large placement radius on yourself as a group leader the rest of the squad dp not spawn at your position.

Place a soldier on the map

Place markers on the map

Select the soldier, right click and select "Random Start".   Now draw a line from the soldier to the first marker.

Repeat for each marker.

Unfortunately the Eden editor did not come with a manual.  Watch and see this same question asked many times over.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes we know that method works for random starts for a single unit but what I was pointing out is that any team mates grouped to the squad leader don't begin in the random start with the leader. Instead they start wherever they are placed in the editor.

Also just FYI you can select all markers you want to have a random start location and right click, and select "random start" and it will group all markers; so you don't have to do it for every marker anymore.  :D  :D Also if you have a bunch of things on the map  that you select when highlighting your markers, you can right click and under "Edit" I think it is you can select "Select all like objects" so it will filter out all other objects to the specific type you want. 

Also just FYI you can select all markers you want to have a random start location and right click, and select "random start" and it will group all markers; so you don't have to do it for every marker anymore.

That works also for syncing ;) Very handy

//leader's init line
{vehicle _x setpos formationposition _x} foreach units this;

then you just randomize the leader's position using map markers

• Like 3