inlesco

Collecting player kills / other info during a campaign?

I fondly remember collecting player kills was standard campaign feature in OFP / OFPR.

My Q: is there any built-in functionality to get this going in official / user campaigns in Arma 3? I was searching for something like this, but to no avail. The only thing I found was the leaderboards for trials / races.

A simplistic table like this - http://i.imgur.com/zlvii2O.jpg- should be enough for a start.

P.S. TBH, sometimes checking out your own stats is a motivator large enough to get you playing a campaign one more time :)

( In Arma 2 / A2CO, there was no such functionality either, but I remember King Nothing, one of the most prolific mission makers, integrated a stats system (covering your teammates, too!) into his awesome campaign, The Forgotten Few. I loved every second of it. )

Im working on something like that that you can use in any mission/campaign but thats a nice reminder of the OFP dialog

Save all necessary data to the player's profileNamespace, then build a dialog around that.

If the missions are run in a proper campaign environment, I'd advise to use the campaign space.

If the missions are run in a proper campaign environment, I'd advise to use the campaign space.

Ah, was unaware of that option, and tbh, have zero campaign creation experience :p.

Ah, was unaware of that option, and tbh, have zero campaign creation experience :P.

The major advantage this has is that the variables cannot be overwritten from outside of the campaign. Also, if you set and saveVar something like var = 1 in mission A, var = 2 in mission B, and var = 3 in mission C, the value will be back at 2, respectively 1, if the player reverts or replays mission A or B. With profileNameSpace, you'd only have the latest value available in every mission, regardless of how far the player reverts back.

The major advantage this has is that the variables cannot be overwritten from outside of the campaign. Also, if you set and saveVar something like var = 1 in mission A, var = 2 in mission B, and var = 3 in mission C, the value will be back at 2, respectively 1, if the player reverts or replays mission A or B. With profileNameSpace, you'd only have the latest value available in every mission, regardless of how far the player reverts back.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

How do you access camp. variables outside of a campaign's mission? Is their scope global?

Or did BIS simply export all the data to a file and created a dialog with it in the main menu?

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

How do you access camp. variables outside of a campaign's mission? Is their scope global?

Or did BIS simply export all the data to a file and created a dialog with it in the main menu?

You cannot, that's the point of it. Within the campaign environment, a previously saveVar'd variable becomes a global variable in all following missions. But it's impossible to access these outside of the campaign.

You cannot, that's the point of it. Within the campaign environment, a previously saveVar'd variable becomes a global variable in all following missions. But it's impossible to access these outside of the campaign.

Alright, so any idea what kind of a workaround BIS made for this?

Alright, so any idea what kind of a workaround BIS made for this?

Why would they create a workaround? They're probably just using these vars within the campaign environment as intended.

Why would they create a workaround? They're probably just using these vars within the campaign environment as intended.

I'm referring to the table drawn outside the campaign (check the OP's screen). Since the vars are out of scope, I assume they're written to file or smth. (Or there's smth I've misunderstood)

I see. Yeah, that seems to be outside of the missions as well. I don't know if that is still possible in Arma 3. Or could one mod the campaign menu as well?

I see. Yeah, that seems to be outside of the missions as well. I don't know if that is still possible in Arma 3. Or could one mod the campaign men as well?

What do you mean by "campaign men"? Thought it's a typo, elaborate please :D

What do you mean by "campaign men"? Thought it's a typo, elaborate please :D

Duh, it's a typo. :D I meant campaign menu.