sic-disaster

I made a video tutorial series for the Eden Editor

I hope this is a suitable place for this thread. If it's not, feel free to move it to where you find it to be more appropriate.

So I've recently decided to try my hand at doing some commentated videos for ArmA 3, and after doing a 2016 review of the game as it stands now, I felt inspired to do something more that might be of a bit more use to the existing ArmA community. Having made several scenarios in the editor already, every once in a while I get questions about how I went about making them. So I figured that a video series would be the best thing to create!

In this three-part series I show you how to set up a 'Steal the car' scenario from start to finish, with explanations of how to set up triggers, create briefings, custom sounds, tasks etc.

In addition, I have uploaded the mission folder so people can have a look at the mission from within the Eden editor itself. That mission folder can be downloaded here: 

https://mega.nz/#!SkhmDAZL!yxqeWXCYEtobCO4Ipd6REoRwPwZaYDJuTWXshmMZtlw

If you just want to play the mission I created, you can find it on the Steam Workshop here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=642916921

And finally, here are the three tutorial videos:

And finally, if you have another hour to spare and want to watch my opinion on ArmA 3 as it stands now, here's my review video as well:

• Like 11

Well I hope you included instructions on how to make a mission title, because 98% of mission makers on the Steam workshop seem completely%20incapable%20of%20doing%20that

• Like 5

Well, my missions don't suffer from that so if people follow along, theirs shouldn't either  ;)

Thankyou for your contribution sic,well done.

• Like 1

Thanks sama. I appreciate that. I might do some more videos like this in the future.

Cool man,

Always good to see some video tutorials!

• Like 1

Thanks heaps SIC.

Outstanding work!

Loved it.

Helped me unlock some of the mystery and got me well down the path to making my first mission.

Great tip about making sure objectives work before "dressing " the mission, and I guess it 

re-enforced for me the need to have a plan or story before getting too deep into the what goes where part.

Have only watched the first one so far and it has been immensely helpful.

Thanks again! 

• Like 1

Thank you for videos. It's always fun learning new stuff and video tutorials really helps a lot!

• Like 1

I'm happy to hear it's helping a lot of people :) I might do some more in the future, but personally I'm not very deep into scripts etc., at least I usually have no clue HOW they work, just IF they work. But as I figure out more and more stuff, I'll try to make some videos about them. 

• Like 2

This is not exactly a tutorial, but a behind the scenes look at what Operation Flaming Eagle looks like, which is the most complex mission I've ever made. It cost me about 25 hours to do. Let me know what you think and if you'd like to see more videos like this!

• Like 1

Let me know what you think and if you'd like to see more videos like this!

Another enjoyable watch dude, and just as interesting to see "behind the scenes" as it is watching you build a mission in real-time. ANY kind of tutorial with Eden Editor as the backdrop will always help piss-poor mission-makers like myself garner little nuggets of info......keep up the good work man!

• Like 1

Thanks mate, I'm glad you enjoyed it! I wasn't sure if this idea would catch on, because it could be educational but it's not quite meant to be a tutorial, because there's too many interactions to really explain. It took me 25 hours to figure out after all, and to try and retrace my own logic a month or so later AND explaining it logically and coherently is rather hard haha. So I thought maybe people would think "What's the point?"

Another idea I've had that I might try out in the future is to make a video series that sits somewhere in the middle of a tutorial and this video, where I basically make a mission but one that might not be so 'step by step', since I might have to figure out some things as well as I go along. That would be a lot more educational than this I think, but doesn't require me to be perfect. Of course I'd put in some breaks while I figure things out, but most likely some trial and error would be required.

• Like 1

I made another behind the scenes video, this time of a mission that is a lot simpler in it's setup. Hopefully that will make it easier to follow and be more helpful in that regard:

• Like 1

It's been a while since I did any ArmA 3 related stuff but it's time to get back onto that horse. I started a new video series for the Eden Editor which is going to result into a playable mission for everyone to enjoy. This video is not a tutorial exactly, though this mission is simple enough that I can move forward with some speed and without too many mistakes. This series is not intended to be a step by step how-to, but it is definitely educational as you get to follow along my entire thought process in creating the mission. It is however also meant to be set up in such a way that I can make a mistake and figure things out as I go along.

So without further ado, here is the video. Please like and subscribe if you wish to see more! :)

The most important part of making a mission: playtesting, and iterating on our findings!

I hope this is a suitable place for this thread. If it's not, feel free to move it to where you find it to be more appropriate.

So I've recently decided to try my hand at doing some commentated videos for ArmA 3, and after doing a 2016 review of the game as it stands now, I felt inspired to do something more that might be of a bit more use to the existing ArmA community. Having made several scenarios in the editor already, every once in a while I get questions about how I went about making them. So I figured that a video series would be the best thing to create!

In this three-part series I show you how to set up a 'Steal the car' scenario from start to finish, with explanations of how to set up triggers, create briefings, custom sounds, tasks etc.

In addition, I have uploaded the mission folder so people can have a look at the mission from within the Eden editor itself. That mission folder can be downloaded here: 

Good job!

Really Admire your effort ;)

Thank you so much!

Thanks, I appreciate that kathykit!

Someone on youtube requested another video so here it is: a video on creating a custom .sqf so you can have a cutscene later on in the mission.

• Like 1

Great man. There's a shortage of video tutorials on arma 3. Do you have any scripting experience in SQF? Just getting started in SQF, and would love for more video tuts on that.

• Like 1