Sign in to follow this  
glocks999

What are some gpu heavy settings?

i have a strong gpu, but weak cpu, i run the game fine but are their any gpu settings i could put up a bit that wont affect my fps

Pretty much everything in PP & AA, then texture quality. Terrain and shadows on higher settings can be just more of a GPU eater so test those how they behave for you. Terrain detail anything lower than ultra can bring pretty ugly floating in the distance effect if you ever wonder why you see AI and objects floating in the air in a longer distance.

Pretty much everything in PP & AA, then texture quality. Terrain and shadows on higher settings can be just more of a GPU eater so test those how they behave for you. Terrain detail anything lower than ultra can bring pretty ugly floating in the distance effect if you ever wonder why you see AI and objects floating in the air in a longer distance.

i get 70fps with all the gpu settings on ultra, tried terrain detal on ultra dropped to 30fps, shadow dropped me to 55

Go in editor and play with the settings, you have an FPS clock right in the menu, so you don't have to install any other software. Shadows drawing distance taxes the CPU as well, so leave it at 50, put object details to low or medium at most and also the drawing distance keep it at some reasonable settings. I wouldn't go beyond 1,5k for terrain and 500-1k for objects. Leave some room for the AI and physics once you're in a mission. You can play with the AA and supersample if you have the GPU power to have a sharper image.

I've got an i5 4690k overclocked to 4.2ghz, and a GTX 760. On my system the biggest frame killers for me is Objects and Particles. Objects is Standard, and Particles is low. Everything else I can run on high/very high, barring AA/PPAA. GPU runs over 95%, but CPU usage is 55%. It's something you'll have to play around with. Best way is to get one of the benchmark missions and spend a few hours tweaking it to your liking.

One more question. should i use FXAA,SMAA or MSAA for best graphical difference. i dont really notice fps change when using them.

also are particles cpu or gpu intensive? 

One more question. should i use FXAA,SMAA or MSAA for best graphical difference. i dont really notice fps change when using them.

also are particles cpu or gpu intensive? 

Choose between SMAA and CMAA. FXAA is just more blurry. FXAA/TXAA in Fallout 4 were things that almost made me to stop play the game because it looked awful. Thank god there are external programs that allowed to add Sharpen Filter.

And one wonderful thing about Arma 3 is that it has Sharpen Filter slider. Use itto sharpen the image. I really like that.

And you know what's good? You can use MSAA with the SMAA/CMAA/FXAA so you don't need to choose if you use for example SMAA or MSAA. Use both ;) That's also a weird option that many games have so you can't use MSAA with other PPAA stuff but luckily Arma 3 allows that.

Particles are more CPU intensive at least because of smoke particles. Smoke can really bring down the fps easily so you might be better to use the lowest setting there.

Choose between SMAA and CMAA. FXAA is just more blurry. FXAA/TXAA in Fallout 4 were things that almost made me to stop play the game because it looked awful. Thank god there are external programs that allowed to add Sharpen Filter.

And one wonderful thing about Arma 3 is that it has Sharpen Filter slider. Use itto sharpen the image. I really like that.

And you know what's good? You can use MSAA with the SMAA/CMAA/FXAA so you don't need to choose if you use for example SMAA or MSAA. Use both ;) That's also a weird option that many games have so you can't use MSAA with other PPAA stuff but luckily Arma 3 allows that.

Particles are more CPU intensive at least because of smoke particles. Smoke can really bring down the fps easily so you might be better to use the lowest setting there.

OK but I thought that FXAA was PP so calculated by the GPU, whereas SMAA and CMAA are CPU dependent, right?

OK but I thought that FXAA was PP so calculated by the GPU, whereas SMAA and CMAA are CPU dependent, right?

That's interesting.. Is FXAA GPU side ?

I'd be interested to find out for sure, what takes its performance from where, as in, cpu or gpu. Or at least where it takes the majority of its performance from.

FXAA is just the fastest but the ugliest one at the same time because of the blur. SMAA is the heaviest. CMAA is pretty much in the same level as FXAA in speed but it's pretty much the same looking as SMAA. They're all GPU stuff.

These pics only show SMAA x1. I believe there are more levels of SMAA than that. CMAA has only one option and I haven't seen differ much (at all really) from SMAA Ultra.

CMAA_Fig11.png

CMAA_Fig15.png

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/conservative-morphological-anti-aliasing-cmaa-update

Back in the day when the sharpen filter was inside the FXAA, it was the best looking option only because of that. Now that the sharpening filter is separate and you can add it to everything, the FXAA isn't the best anymore.

Interesting. Are there any comparative benchmarks like this for Arma 3?

With ARMA 3, the most heaviest for GPU are:

Particles (smoke and such).

Anything related with foliage (trees and such).

These are what makes the GPU work hard.