Yuval

How to make a fictional satellite map.

I am really stuck. I'm pretty much past the heightfield and mask layer in L3DT but the way L3DT does the texture map isn't good for me. I need a way to create a really good sat map (such as Taviana for example). How can you make a good satellite map?

L3DT simply sucks at textures.. You can't make textures smaller because they look ugly.

Use Google or Bing maps, if your terrain is a desert then take an image of a desert, for a forest area find some trees, your roads can be drawn on by hand.

If your terrain is big then maybe use 3rd party apps to save sticthing the images together, Universal Map Downloader is good but depending on the resolution you might need the pro version, It has an app to stitch images together or Terraincognito is free and does great resolutions.

My terrain for example is a real life place but i took the airport from Ibiza, look in the South-West corner http://i.imgur.com/wnhZerU.jpg
It fits perfectly as the scale matches

• Like 2

Started working on the sat map on L3DT. Got a better hold on how things work. The mask layer is very efficient in creating sat maps actually. I guess I should first create a sat map and then a mask map

You can use the L3DT mask as well, I simply imported that mask set up my layers.cfg to use the correct colors & textures.  then you can tweak the mask in Photoshop a little to suit.

• Like 1

You can use the L3DT mask as well, I simply imported that mask set up my layers.cfg to use the correct colors & textures.  then you can tweak the mask in Photoshop a little to suit.

pretty much how i do things too!

We started with the sat and trimmed the height data to match perfectly, PS has a tool to generate a mask from a sat, I forget what it's called as i don't do images, generating the mask from the sat allows fields to have different textures when moving through them.

There's probably other ways, what ever suits you best :)

Use Google or Bing maps, if your terrain is a desert then take an image of a desert, for a forest area find some trees, your roads can be drawn on by hand.

If your terrain is big then maybe use 3rd party apps to save sticthing the images together, Universal Map Downloader is good but depending on the resolution you might need the pro version, It has an app to stitch images together or Terraincognito is free and does great resolutions.

My terrain for example is a real life place but i took the airport from Ibiza, look in the South-West corner http://i.imgur.com/wnhZerU.jpg

It fits perfectly as the scale matches

You can also use THIS free tool to extract hd satellite images and then build your image using gimp or PS as Richie said above...

;) 

• Like 1