joostsidy

Has terrain lighting changed slightly or need new monitor?

The last few weeks I feel that terrain lighting has changed slightly for both Altis & Stratis. The hot hours (zero clouds, noon) don't look as sun-baked to me as earlier (less yellow in lighting?).

Haven't touched my monitor settings. Maybe the screen is just 'worn' or something. Posted here to see if I'm crazy / need new monitor.

Have you updated your graphics drivers recently?  Reason I ask is with every new install of NVidia drivers, it resets the damn "Output dynamic range" setting to Limited, which is not good.

Just throwing out ideas at this point.

You need an excuse to buy a new monitor !  :o

Or are you married ? 

I certainly get the screen is getting old, will need a replacement.. line..

If that's the case. :P

I'm not married, I divorced three times, each time my wife left me because of my severe Arma obsession ;-)

ok not true, also not true wanting a new monitor. Actually I like my current one a lot, especially the colors, but its five or six years old (is that old?)

I posted here because even if it's a minor thing, I'm very aware of it. I've created a lot of missions and for the most of them I put the time on afternoons and almost no clouds, because I like the look. I realize

though, that for realistic missions this is a bad choice because it's broad daylight and very hot in RL. So I play a lot with the settings lately to find other atmospheric settings for particular missions. But when I wanted to

return to sun-baked Stratis, it looks a bit different..

I haven't updated any drivers recently, so I'll definitely try that.

@Kridian

it resets the damn "Output dynamic range" setting to Limited, which is not good.

Where can you find this option? I didn't see it in Nvidia settings nor Arma3 settings.

@Kridian

it resets the damn "Output dynamic range" setting to Limited, which is not good.

Where can you find this option? I didn't see it in Nvidia settings nor Arma3 settings.

http://steamcommunity.com/news/post/524998195435650991/?insideModal=1

https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/36co2x/nvidia_gpu_users_using_hdmi_output_youre_most/

NVIDIA maybe has fixed the "Output dynamic range" thing in their latest driver or something. I also can't see the Output dynamic range option anymore but with older drivers I saw it.

It's still there with the latest nVidia driver (355.82).

nvidia_output_color_window.png

Sneaky bastards. Well I'm good with my shitty monitor and limited range display but that's sneaky changing where that before was.

@kridian

Updated my drivers and looked into the full dyn.range options. Didn't make a difference though.

I did realize one thing. A couple months ago I got a whole new computer with different graphics card (GF 970). I'm using my old monitor though.

There is a slight chance that I haven't been playing 'sun-soaked' scenario's since then (since I was creating missions with different weather). Change of graphics card could at least account for the difference I guess.

With that in mind I've been playing with Arma's brightness and gamma settings. I've turned brightness to the max and gamme a few 'ticks' lower. I hope if I fiddle with it some more I get to good values. It's all really subtle unfortunately, you can

go from too washed out to alien-planet-hard lighting and shadows easily.

Why do you have your resolution at 1080p hd setting, and not PC resolution? If you put it on PC 1920x1080 you get full dyn.range automatically. The UHD and non-dyn.range settings are designed for tv's I got from the short research I did.