Sign in to follow this  
Aebian

Normal Size of a Boat in ArmA 3?

I'm on it to create a Ohio Class Submarine in ArmA 3. So far I was able to transform my 3Ds Max fbx-creation into a P3D.

But as you might see, the submarine is really big. The small cross at the bottom back of the submarine is the "grid" provided by Oxygen (Object Builder...)

rNrGDgi.png

Don't want to create an submarine that is bigger then Stratis, lol :D

i guess, that  is a wrong section for this post

anyway the max size of a object in arma 3 is 80 m x 80 m x 80 m

The model size issue is caused by 3DSMax using CM or MM instead of meters. OB uses metres. Just scale it back down.

The max practical size has always been 50x50x50m But depending on volume and complexity you can get upto 64x64x64m before problems arise with the geo lods.

You'll have to split out the model into setions then write a script to reassemble it.

Alright, thanks for your posts ^^

@rksl-rock: With the splitting is it possible to have a model that is longer then 64m? Since the ohio class submarines are 170 meters long ^^

Alright, thanks for your posts ^^

@rksl-rock: With the splitting is it possible to have a model that is longer then 64m? Since the ohio class submarines are 170 meters long ^^

Sadly you wont get a working single piece model in game. It will go in, but the geometry collision detection will stop working outside of 64m. The BI devs previously stated that the best size to work with is 50m chunks.

I've had quite a bit of experience with the large objects and there are a number of aircraft carriers out there already. Just illustrate this:

rksl_cvf_wire_1_grab.JPG

The full article is here.

http://www.rkslstudios.info/blogs/wip-wednesdays/27-week-21-may-23-carrier-country

Note re: Zukov's post vs. Rock's: It's been reported that the geometry collision detection (aka what's usually meant by the limit) in A3 got expanded to the 80 meters described by Zukov -- I've seen a model screenshot in the Virtual Reality terrain purported to have full walkability without assembly required, and I believe that Gnat's Fast Sea Frame is scaled 1:1? -- though with how not too many ships come in at under 80 or over 60 you're best off heeding Rock's advice anyway.

Note that you'll want to test the geometry/roadway LOD modeling model so that when the assembly script puts the sections together you'll have no "holes" for people to fall through or aircraft/vehicles/PhysX objects to snag/blow up on... at least, if full walkability is your goal?

Interested why you guys use scripts to assemble it? Ive proxied in my ships to form a whole. All lods intact

Interested why you guys use scripts to assemble it? Ive proxied in my ships to form a whole. All lods intact

If you managed to get no holes in yours that's damned impressive (how many times have we seen jets blow up on carriers in this game) but scripts if I recall allow you to have more detailed animations for parts on the ship sections than what proxying will allow, especially if ship components on sections (proxied or not) need to themselves be animated in complex detail, which I understand to be inaccessible to a "proxy of a proxy".