Sign in to follow this  
Spitfire

Vtol script available

Hehehe, well I could spend my time fixing it or I could spend my time finishing ProSphere;)

ProSphere will be released on Wednesday (evening), available from ofp.info

Prospero

Hey what is going on ? Are some good VTOL script is availble for download ??

Hi Guys I've been away from the Harrier for a few weeks, but i did change the aircraft you used in the script mission to the Sea harrier and was very pleased with the results. At the moment the model is undergoing some body refinements (due to some new resources). Also I have added a custom Gear retraction scripts so the wingtip struts fold in the right direction.

I have been experimenting with in addon scripts so with your permission I'd like to try the vtol script from within an addon. The main reason is that if the vtol script can be called from within the addon I can also control the direction of the nozzles at the same time. Also warning sounds, auxiliary jet sounds for VTOL and warning lights can be put in too. This, fellas, is exciting stuff.

Sure, do whatever you like with it. You can even change the script if you wish.

Integrating Prospero's ProSphere controller with the VTOL script has "delayed" a bit but I think I'll play around with the script as soon as I can get some spare time from studies.

A VTOL-script done this way will never be perfect as long as BIS doesn't supply us with means to pitch and bank the aircraft within the script.

If you want to use ProSphere for this (and no, I still haven't gotten around to doing the updated version with sticky surface support), I would suggest something like the following:

1) Design your aircraft add-on as a PLANE, not a HELICOPTER.

2) Remember that no script can set the pitch or roll of an aircraft (at the moment).

3) Have a "VTOL Mode" action available when in the pilot's seat of the aircraft and the engine is on, and the velocity is within suitable limits.

4) When "VTOL Mode" is selected, use the ProSphere scripts to:

a) Rotate the thrust vector forward and aft (w & s) using setVelocity.

b) Rotate the thrust vector left and right to a limited extent (a & d) using setVelocity.

c) Scale the thrust vector (q & z) using setVelocity.

d) Control yaw (rudder) (x & c) using (timed) setDir.

Note that setDir keeps pitch and roll at 0. During use of "VTOL mode" flight, you will always remain level.

This is what is possible with OFP at the moment.

Prospero

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Prospero @ Dec. 08 2002,14:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Note that setDir keeps pitch and roll at 0. During use of "VTOL mode" flight, you will always remain level.<span id='postcolor'>

That's exactly what my script currently does. However, the transition from free flight to VTOL is very abrupt if the pitch & roll is anything else than 0 when VTOL is engaged. Looks very bad but it's the only way to do it.

Currently my VTOL script doesn't have a true thrust vectoring since before ProSphere it was nearly impossible to steplessly adjust the nozzles. Now I'm planning to implement this, though.

I've just finished a VTOL (Vertical Take-Off & Landing) script using the new setVelocity-command. It works via action menu, and it's pretty crude (still beta) but it works. I have tested it with SU-25 and it may or may not need tweaking to use with other planes (the Harrier-addon, for example).

It features action commands for turning the nozzles, increasing and decreasing the vertical thrust and activating retro-thrust (needed so you can slow down more effectively when approaching the landing zone).

It's a bit tricky but you can get quite adept with it by practising a little. At least with my system, the plane tends to bank very slightly to the left when hovering in slow speeds, and I believe this cannot be fixed until BIS supplies us with means to set pitch & bank of objects.

Don't let the speed of the aircraft get below 3-5 km/h when you are landing, since it'll tip over very easily. So, right now it's VSTOL rather than true VTOL but it's good enough for now.

Please, test it as you wish, make modifications and give me some feedback. It's not perfect and I'd like to know how to make it better. Right now, this is best I can come up with at this point.

You can download a zip-file with the scripts and a sample mission from

http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/spitfire/ofp.html

edit: I just uploaded a new version of the script. It fixes the stalling of the plane near zero speeds. It's still crude but now it works a little better http://www.flashpoint1985.com/ikonboard301/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

This link was broken...

Can you give me another link??

Thx

This link was broken...

Can you give me another link??

Thx

Welcome Dr. Jones.

Thread starters last activity on this forums: Apr 30 2007 06:53

Last post in this thread: dec 8. 2002 14:00

§10) Do not dig up old threads

Threads older than 4 months should not be dug up unless something significant is being added. If in doubt as to what is "significant", contact a moderator and they will give you their opinion. As always old threads will remain open or be closed at the moderator's discretion. Digging up an old thread simply to ask "any news" is also not acceptable, PM the thread starter or mod leader to ask.

Thread closed, OP knows where the key is.