Sign in to follow this  
nikiforos

Skylake CPUs - worth an upgrade?

I'm on the verge of an upgrade and would also like to know what people think. If it makes arma better I'm in!

Check this and judge yourself https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/156993-arma-3-cpu-vs-ram-performance-comparison-1600-2133-up-to-15-fps-gain/page-7

You can read that I'll wait for year or two just to see if DDR4 matures more. Currently I guess my fps increase would be around 6-8fps depending on how high end DDR4 I choose. Also the Broadwell shows that Intel has something in their sleeves when it can compete with Skylake in Arma 3 and it has only DDR3L and lower Hz CPU. In other places it doesn't compete but Arma maybe loves the 128MB L4 Cache.

This upgrade would be senseless... Also i wouldnt stick to this Benchmarks from this Polish page, it seems those benched frames were recorded in the Editor, all alone on the Altis Airfield. Playing online or heavy missions and your Framerates are usual "Arma-low"

(i might be wrong but i didnt see something like "Benched on a 64 Player Server" - it only says "Ultra - Altis Airfield)

This upgrade would be senseless... Also i wouldnt stick to this Benchmarks from this Polish page, it seems those benched frames were recorded in the Editor, all alone on the Altis Airfield. Playing online or heavy missions and your Framerates are usual "Arma-low"

(i might be wrong but i didnt see something like "Benched on a 64 Player Server" - it only says "Ultra - Altis Airfield)

Yes but the performance will very likely increase in there. 30fps is more pleasing than 25fps just for example. I get generally 10fps more in MP than couple of my friends that have weaker CPUs that I've asked in the same missions/server.

Yeah, you have maybe those 5 frames more, but Arma-like you cant save this frames. Just a couple of Scripts later the frames usually goes down too (thats my experience most times)...

We (the players) shpuld not upgrading our Systems for a ton of cash to gain a couple of frames. The only thing which needs an Update is the engine of arma

Yeah, you have maybe those 5 frames more, but Arma-like you cant save this frames. Just a couple of Scripts later the frames usually goes down too (thats my experience most times)...

We (the players) shpuld not upgrading our Systems for a ton of cash to gain a couple of frames. The only thing which needs an Update is the engine of arma

I agree but the upgrade is not supposed to be only for Arma 3 but for future games as well.

Yeah hard to say for the future games when the current games don't really benefit anything and even in some cases it can be a downgrade from Haswell. Arma is one of the few games that has any benefits. BUT we never know what the DX12 brings in, maybe Skylake will shine with that. Hard to really say for now.

From Sandy Bridge to Skylake you could expect something like 5-10fps gain (even in the MP) for Arma 3. Is it worth it is up to you. From Haswell it isn't likely worth the upgrade anymore.

Btw what CPU you've currently?

Yeah hard to say for the future games when the current games don't really benefit anything and even in some cases it can be a downgrade from Haswell. Arma is one of the few games that has any benefits. BUT we never know what the DX12 brings in, maybe Skylake will shine with that. Hard to really say for now.

From Sandy Bridge to Skylake you could expect something like 5-10fps gain (even in the MP) for Arma 3. Is it worth it is up to you. From Haswell it isn't likely worth the upgrade anymore.

Btw what CPU you've currently?

i5-2500k  @4.5 Ghz  

I can run almost all new games with high FPS including GTA 5 (minimum 60 FPS with high or very high settings) but if an upgrade could give me maybe 10-15  FPS then I think it's worth it.

You mean 10-15FPS in other Games? If yes then you should maybe upgrading for SLI (like in my Rig in Signature)

You will notice the fps gain in a ton of games using SLI. And you CPU is great for this. If i were you i would not buy Skylake. If you want to enjoy Games (of course not Arma^^) very fluid i can suggest you a 144Hz Screen and SLI

I use an Asus 27" (VG278HE)  144Hz with my SLI, this Screen is great when i use my 3DVision Kit2, cause the Screen supports Nvidias Lightboost Technology. 3D-Gaming is amazing with this setup

It depends on what you own, if you are due for an upgrade then yes, if you have a top of the line haswell or ivybridge for example, not necessarily.