Sign in to follow this  
Delta Hawk

Working sailboat - is it possible?

I'm making a small sailboat for the fun of it. I guess to see what ArmA 3 is capable of. I'm hoping there is an easy button :pray:

I know you can animate the sails because I see how the windsock and the flags animate. They actually animate according to the wind strength and direction which is kind of cool. I'm sure I could attach to sails to yards or a mast and I can animate the corners to "raise" and "lower" the sails but I just don't know how to set it up in my addon.

I also don't know how to make it move. I think that would be cool if a boat was affect by the wind like the helicopters, but I'm sure that's almost impossible.

I'm making a small sailboat for the fun of it. I guess to see what ArmA 3 is capable of. I'm hoping there is an easy button

There is not.

I know you can animate the sails because I see how the windsock and the flags animate. They actually animate according to the wind strength and direction which is kind of cool.

I've spent hours upon hours trying to reproduce this with my sail models to no success yet. It uses vertex animation. It would be helpful if BIS would put out a short simple primer on how to use this. Last I checked the windsock files were encrypted. The flags are available to look into, but I need more examples to figure out how to do it with my sails.

I'm sure I could attach to sails to yards or a mast and I can animate the corners to "raise" and "lower" the sails but I just don't know how to set it up in my addon.

This I have working. They also can be destroyed when shot away.

I also don't know how to make it move. I think that would be cool if a boat was affect by the wind like the helicopters, but I'm sure that's almost impossible.

Not at all impossible, it works.

What is difficult (but not impossible, I just haven't figured out how to do it) is

-- getting the amount of undamaged sail,

-- multiplying that by the wind speed and strength relative to the sloop,

-- transmitting that to move the vessel,

-- and being able to steer by it.

I had my sloop moving with wind power (crudely) but put it back to use engine power til I can steer, anchor and tow it with small boats.

I need scripts that do thatbut I don't know how to write them.

Edited by Six_Ten

If we get this implemented, the moving and angling of the boat (in strong wind wind) would be not very hard to do and also possible to do in a quite satisfying manner i think

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=19183

I don't think it's possible to do nice and smooth turning right now with scripts, as you can't set an angular velocity. You can only set a velocity and set a direction.

Hey Six, glad to see you're still working on your sloop. Maybe one of these days my "little boat" *giggles* can meet your sloop.

It would be nice if BIS could give us a hint on how to do this as far as the sails goes. The only hint I've been able to find it a source animation called "flag" but I'm not too sure what that is.

I would like to get my boat to move so I could experiment with walking on the deck in the meantime.