Sign in to follow this  
PFC_Mike

Japanese modern troops

A lot of the stuff is very similar to US equipment. Anyone up for a reskin or skin of the default West soldier- bedrolls etc. ?

I agree it, the pattern itself has a Flecktarn look to it. But the gear itself is very similar to US issue stuff.

Iam very in the dark about the japanise military. I havent heard anything about any modern conflicts involving the japanise.

Japan's Military doesn't have the logistical infrastructure to mount any operations outside the Japanese Home Islands. Also, their name is the Japanese Self Defense Force...

actually, they have loads of weapons that enables them to operate abroad.

However, as cloney said, they are bound by their constitution to use only in case of self-defense. Thus it excludes them from operating in foreign theaters.

Japan participates in international naval practice each year.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cloney @ Oct. 06 2002,21:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Japan's Military doesn't have the logistical infrastructure to mount any operations outside the Japanese Home Islands. Also, their name is the Japanese Self Defense Force...<span id='postcolor'>

More importantly, their constitution doesn't allow it.

well, maybe not really, but aint that MARPAT good lookin? Im gonna stop by the Army/Navy/Marine Corps surplus store sometime and see if they have any...

I think the old BDUs looked a lot cooler. They look like they were in a food fight or something. Also, why did they need to change patterns anyway?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cloney @ Oct. 07 2002,14:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think the old BDUs looked a lot cooler. They look like they were in a food fight or something. Also, why did they need to change patterns anyway?<span id='postcolor'>

Because from a functionality standpoint, woodland pattern cammies suck.  wink.gif

And the new stuff is permanent-press, which means that we would look good in the field if we weren't invisible.

Semper Fi

What do you mean from a functionality standpoint?

1) The pattern blends much better, based on my experiences.

2) The new cammies have slanted chest pockets w/velcro and pockets on the sleeves (if you're wearing a flak jacket and LBV, these are the only above-the-waist pockets you'll be able to access). Scout/Snipers have been sewing sleeve pockets into their ghillie suits for years. There are also inside slots for adding foam pads at the elbows and knees, but IMHO this is going a little too far.

3) Last and definitely least, the Eagle, Globe and Anchor (EGA) on the left breast pocket is now embroidered, whereas the old cammies used iron-ons. Much classier.

Semper Fi

Also, since it is a digitally created pattern, theyve encoded several EGAs into the pattern (very hard to spot, but they are there). Little insignificant fact there for ya

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Oct. 07 2002,10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Looks a little like the new digital pattern camo that the USMC is adopting...

bdu-usmc%20ex%202.jpg

desertboonie2.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

Which looks like Canadian Army CADPAT.

Desert Pattern: 9012.jpg

Forest Pattern:

Edit:RalphWiggum: IMAGE SIZE > 100K!

9007.jpg

It has been in development since the mid 90's. I just got issued my 3 pairs of green CADPAT last week.

CADPAT website

Tyler

Re: Canada

What CADPAT? All I see are rifles hovering in the air... and a pair of eyeglasses? WTF?

Semper Fi

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Oct. 07 2002,07:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">More importantly, their constitution doesn't allow it.<span id='postcolor'>

I hate to sound ignorant, but why not?

Actually Assault, they were developed along the same lines- all the websites I saw basically mentioned CADPAT and MARPAT in the same breath. Also, look real closely at your cammies- you will see digitally encoded Maple Leaves smile.gif

CDN-desert-standard.jpgCDN-desert-Maple-Leaf.jpg

MARPAT-Urban-Standard.jpgMARPAT-Urban-Insignias.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Urban MARPAT on the left is the same on the right, except the pattern on the right shows a Blue Marines insignia where the it is might be  located in brown (questionable) on the left and yellow insignias for the black pattern on the left, these are more obvious. I did not located any insignias within the two Grays colors used. Most of the Insignias are difficult to find as the computer-design masks them with random Chaos patterns or overlays other insignias on top, the browns and blacks are laid down first in the computer, which allows for the greys to overlap the insignias. The Forest and Desert MARPATs also have the insignias blended into the pattern.     Pictures of Urban MARPAT hat Courtesy of Dr. Richard McAroy (link provided to his MARPAT site at end)

A New York Times story reports, The designers have said they included an image of the Marine Corps eagle globe and anchor insignia seven times per yard of MARPAT. (link to article included in references)

Considering the Marines had been given specific design details from the Canadians, did the Canadians also bury a recognizable shape within the CADPAT. I looked at the Arid Region CADPAT as it only used three colors versus the four in the CADPAT Temperate Woodland, and what Shape would the Canadian Government, hide within CADPAT? My first guess appears to be the correct one, the Maple Leaf symbol from the Canadian Flag. The Picture on the right is of the same pattern on the left. The Red Maple Leafs are placed where the darker brown Maple Leafs occur and the blue Maple Leafs occur where the Tan pattern Maple leafs are located on the left. There might be more located within this pattern but these were the more obvious locations. I did notice that one of the Light Tan Maple Leafs was actually the result of a Brown Maple Leaf located above and to the right of it. Again we find these recognizable shapes are difficult to find as the computer-design masks them with random Chaos patterns or overlays other Maple Leafs on top.          

I looked at the CADPAT Temperate Woodland pattern and the Maple Leafs are much more difficult to pick out considering four colors are used. However, I believe that the two Greens used in the CADPAT TW are made up with Maple Leaf Shapes and the Black and browns are to further break the shapes.

<span id='postcolor'>

http://www.hyperstealth.com/CADPAT-MARPAT.htm

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (E6Hotel @ Oct. 07 2002,22:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Re: Canada

What CADPAT? All I see are rifles hovering in the air... and a pair of eyeglasses? WTF?

Semper Fi<span id='postcolor'>

LOL!

Good one!

Now what we need is for them to issue the correct colour schema for the theater of operations. It was painfully embarassing to see a picture from Afghanistan with the Canadian soldier carrying our colours wearing green camo BDU's.

It's all well and good to have high tech camoflage...but only if it's in the right places at the right time.

Hey Assault, can us civies buy CADPAT through surplus/sporting good stores? I am planning on hunting again next fall and this stuff looks really killer.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DracoPaladore @ Oct. 08 2002,00:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Oct. 07 2002,07:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">More importantly, their constitution doesn't allow it.<span id='postcolor'>

I hate to sound ignorant, but why not?<span id='postcolor'>

Something called World War II.

I suspect they wrote their constitution with the behemoth with the bomb in mind. Make your forces self defence only and you cant exactly do something like being the aggresor in a conflict. So write such concepts into your constitution and maybe they'll stop at 2 biggrin.gifwink.gif