Sign in to follow this  
redarmy

Opfor Hummingbird/pawnee equivelent?

I highly doubt something like this exists or has been modded in but incase i missed it...

I'v recently been mucking about in editor,with the hummingbird,and must say it handles in such an enjoyable way(thank you BIS) but when im creating scenarios for myself,faction im using to play AS is RHS Russian forces(shooting down pawnees/hbirds) So is there anything out there that is small and nimble rotary for opfor?Even independant?

The orca and hellcat are closest it seems

H-6 has an exported version, so its feasible that opfor could get their hands on some(storyline wise). But the hellcat is probably the closest you will get ingame

Indeed. The Orca (RL KA-60) and the Hellcat (RL AW-159) are the Opfor and Indfor equivalents to the AH-X series. All 3 have foward mounted guns, but there are quite a few pro's and cons to each. Take the Orca for example. It has guided rockets, and a 6.5mm Minigun. It's also the largest of the 3 and the least maneuverable. However, it doesn't need a separate variant to hold all 8 soldiers that it can. It also has flares at it's disposal. The Hellcat is excellent for recon (and just a simple reskin will make it blufor) with it's nose-mounted IR camera. It's armed model can transport a large fireteam while the unarmed can transport up to a squad. It's relatively more maneuverable than the orca, but stiil robust enough to take a hit. Stick a couple of MMG's on your side benches and you're golden with the foward mounted weaponry at your disposal too. Finally the AH-X series gets 2 variant. The first one is armed, has 2 7.62mm miniguns and 24 rockets (same armament as the Hellcat). It's open and has no flares, but is the easiet to manuever in tight places and close to the ground. The unarmed variant has 4 available bench slots to fire from as well as 2 extra in the back to sit in. It's quieter than the other 2, and while it won't save you in every situation, you're more likely to out-maneuver a missile in the little-bird than you are in the other 2.

To answer your question, yes, they are the closest thing to the AH-x series. If you play opfor a lot, you have to learn to use the strengths of the helo you have at your disposal which I outlined above.

Nothing really in the vanilla version but perhaps a feasible alternative could be something like the Aérospatiale Gazelle that is both commonly exported to opfor type countries (eg syria) and is used in a scout role similar to the AH-9 Pawnee

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/89/Gazelle_SA342M.jpg (169 kB)

Cheers for the input guys.

I love the KA-226T model,reading up on it now.Wonder if RHS would take a crack at it someday

Well, if CSAT were to get anything close to an AH/MH-9 equivalent, This badboy, which Iran could end up using, which would be within the means of CSAT origination, should have been it. But its far too late now, and the Orca is what were stuck with now and forever.

Yeah, I would love to see real littlebirds for the other factions too...