Sign in to follow this  
Whimsykiller

Headless Client issues

I wasn't sure if this was the proper forum, and couldn't find a thread with similar issues.

My issue is, however, that Headless Client crashes almost immediately upon start of the mission on my current version.

1.63 broke a ton of things for my group when it came about a year ago, and the massive amounts of script errors make my game virtually unplayable as well.

We use the rolled back 1.62 on steam, as it's much more stable, and just use the beta patches available via beta_oa to make the difference up for things like shacktac hud to work correctly and all that.

I tested it and rolled forward to 1.63, and it worked fine, just the aforementioned script issues messing with a lot of our scripts; so it was worthless anyway.

Play with Six has a very limited amount of versions, so we're currently on 1.62.0.108074-alpha.

Is there a version of these betas where HC works correctly? People started using it years ago so it clearly predates the official 1.63; I worked real hard on setting it up and am dejected to see it was all for nothing.

Any advice would be appreciated.

1.63 works fine with mods and scripts.

Do you by any chance have -showScriptErrors parameter activated? If yes, delete it and use -nologs instead.

Also avoid badly written scripts. Or use -showScriptErrors to find the script errors and correct them.

Note: that will probably not help you with your HC, but it will help you with your 1,63 issue.

Edited by Mirek

Any advice would be appreciated.

Give the Corepatch addon by goliath86 a try.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?184371-WIP-CorePatch-config-patch-for-ArmA-2-OA

I don't have any experience with headless client so can't attest to how it will do. Headless client is basically a scripted AI dedicated client joined to a mission as a playable unit and running scripts which command a side in order to relieve script pressures off the server, is that correct or no?

I would think Corepatch shouldn't hurt, and might help. It resolves most of the errors which resulted from v1.63.

Even if your custom mission is designed to rely on the old method of nil variables held as placeholders, it could help. With v1.63 nil variables are removed entirely, there is no name as a placeholder anymore. That's what many of the "undefined variables" errors are about. Corepatch resolves errors generated by the modules and official missions, but those written into a custom mission.... It won't touch those; the mission scripts have to be addressed, and that's where -showScriptErrors and not running -noLogs helps. Corepatch removes a lot of the module errors so you can readily see the mission script errors. They won't be buried in the module errors like they normally are.

I've setup the HC in Arma 2 1.62 before... you say it crashes on mission start? So it connects no problem you see the HC unit in the lobby?

Might be worth trying an HC mission that is known to work (ie: something from Armaholic or a demo mission from Monsoon's HC guide for A2) to rule out possible mission issues.