granQ

SFP Multiplayer Map Editor - Atlas

MFHDvwrl.jpg

After some crazy brainstorming late last week we ended up with a weekend project we feel like sharing with all you guys!

In this release (0.1)

• Utilizes the Zeus 3D editor. BIS built a nice tool for placing, moving and observing your objects. Instead of spending time to rebuilding what has been done many times before we stand on the shoulders of the game makers. We’ve invited members our of community to help us add more objects on our work in progress islands and they felt right at home at once. No difficult key bindings to learn, just drag and drop objects in Zeus mode.
  • Works on all islands! Just place a unit and the BIS Zeus module with all addons unlocked and you are done!
  • Map making with your friends is of course more fun than placing houses by yourself! Our editor works in both singleplayer and multiplayer! We’ve tried with around 10 connected users placing objects simultaneously and having a great time.
  • Exporting to Terrain Builder is of course our pride and honor. Drag the generated file onto your island inside Terrain Builder and you’re done. No need to cleanup or edit the file before importing!
  • Persist your work in progress so that you can continue after restarting your game. We support saving and restoring as you need it! Place the Restore module in the mission editor and all objects will be where you left once you start the mission again!

Upcoming features

• Anything more boring than creating fences and walls? Use our clone tool to create kilometers of fences without breaking a sweat. This was our first and most important internal request after trying out our prototype. It’s almost ready but has some bugs in multiplayer and the dialog needs a makeover. Will be available soon!
  • Tired of creating your templates for Terrain Builder? So were we! When exporting objects all template files are generated for the required p3d with correct template names.
  • Autosave to avoid losing data if your game crashes.
  • We have some ideas for creating forest areas easier. Any input for potential users on what is most important would probably help our internal needs as well!
  • Too many objects to choose from? Use our object restrictions module to choose which objects that can be placed. Maybe you want A2 palms and your custom set of houses so that your friends don’t create a Greece holiday resort on your middle eastern island.
  • Zeus not providing enough fine grained placement for you? We’ll let you adjust the position and vector values manually to remove that awful gap.
  • Not satisfied with your current object placement in Terrain Builder? Just export your objects and import them into our editor so you can freely move them around as you feel like. When you’re done just export your new city planning and import it directly into Terrain Builder.
  • Easting is currently hardcoded as 200 000 and northing as 0. In the future this will be selectable when exporting.

Requirements & Info

Batteries included! Everything you need to add objects to your islands is available in the download. You’ll find the dll used to export, persist and restore data and our Zeus Module addon. We recommend that you use any of the editor enable addons to get access to all objects.

Currently we assume that your templates include the models you’re placing as the p3d filename in lowercase without the p3d extension. We hope to simplify this requirement in the future, see above!

Download

Download our 0.1 version here, http://hosted.anrop.se/sfp/@sfp_map_editor-0.1.zip

Sample Altis mission, http://hosted.anrop.se/sfp/sfp_map_editor.Altis.zip

Sample Stratis mission, http://hosted.anrop.se/sfp/sfp_map_editor.Stratis.zip

How to use

Use our sample island editing mission for Altis or Stratis. Of course the real thing is to add objects to your custom map! Here are the simple steps to follow

Place one or more playable units in the game with a name per unit

Place the same number of Zeus Game Master modules with each playable unit name as owner. Choose to include unofficial addons if you don’t place any extra SFP Map Editor modules. In the future we’ll autoload the module to ease this step for you.

(Optional) Place the SFP Map Editor - Restore module to automatically be where you left of at your last save.

Please post any feedback or issues in this thread and we’ll fix them as soon as possible!

This tool will save us lots of time working on our custom islands for the Swedish Forces Pack. Having a couple of us create a town together in multiplayer in an evening instead of a poor fella spending weeks in Terrain Builder and Buldozer is a blessing.

Credits

ZiP, the creator.

granQ, the spokesperson taking all the credits.

Ares for a great source of material regarding Zeus modules. This prototype in just a few days time wouldn’t be possible without the open community.

BIS for their great Zeus functionality and for our favourite game series since the OFP1 demo.

Our Anrop community member xealot for writing our extension on such short notice.

Edited by granQ

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account (granQ, yet I understand ZiP is the creator but I am not sure the matching account on Armaholic is his) on Armaholic.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

** Note:

since this is a project on which more people are working we will contact you in the future to discuss how you want this to be setup on Armaholic.

Read the thread and I think I know what this mod could do,and really surprised me!

Really nice mod,and i will try it as soon as I back home.

And maybe you can make some videos on Youtube to make more detailed guide.

Nice work great release thanks !

Would work much better if you can see the Object when moving it otherwise placing it exactly where you want is very hit / miss

Edited by 1PARA{God-Father}

Yeah, sadly there some limitations when using zeus as the interface but we are considering a "fine tuning placement" dialog.. as well as the fence generator and other things.

I am curious however that we haven't got much (almost no) replies, or feedback. I was under the impression people was "desperate" for multiplayer enabled "object placing" but seems thats not the case?

Your feedback is what push the updates.

Jin, I will try make a youtube video but been so busy with other things.

Don't let a lack of responses fool you, we'd all love to see this! I think a lot of people have become hesitant about mods with lofty goals as we've seen a lot of them recently become abandoned, some without ever getting a first release.

New mod v0.1 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

banner-420x120.png

@granQ;

You are now able to manage your own promo pages of your content on our web platform and publish new content yourself.

To do so, please hit 'this is me' button on the page while logged in and follow the quick and safe claim procedure to get connected to your work.

For now you can send new content or releases our way by using any filesharing service and add your notification at getsatisfaction.withsix.com.