Sign in to follow this  
Wolfenswan

Documentation on and experience with the Disposal Manager?

Hi,

I'm currently looking to update an older body removal / clean up script and was looking at utilizing the new disposal manager for that. Has anyone done any further tests with it or does documentation exist besides the little that is already on the biki? How does it fare performance-wise against the usual methods, e.g. a killed EH?

Wait, that still applies? I figured that due to the corpse- and wreckManagerMode settings it would now also take care of non-respawning/-player units?

Also, the ticket author commented at the bottom:

This can probably be closed as resolved

The ticket Grumpy posted. I didn't see anything in the comments or the ticket itself that is not on the biki or does talk about perfomance/inner works of the manager.

Thought that was pretty clear what one needs to do: Set manager mode and limits, what else is there?

Mostly for the experience people had with it.

How does it fare performance wise (in MP environment, with x of AI), is it preferable to having an EH register killed units and remove them? Also the documentation on the biki tells me which buttons to push but doesn't really explain the inner works of the Manager, that's why I was asking for further documentation. Maybe someone had already crawled through the code or posted something.

Mostly for the experience people had with it.

How does it fare performance wise (in MP environment, with x of AI), is it preferable to having an EH register killed units and remove them? Also the documentation on the biki tells me which buttons to push but doesn't really explain the inner works of the Manager, that's why I was asking for further documentation. Maybe someone had already crawled through the code or posted something.

It is engine based so it should be more efficient than scripted solutions, unless you have some special requirements. In my experience, it disposes of corpses and wrecks just fine.

Thanks. Is there a way to set a minimal distance to player units to avoid removal corpses which are right next to players or interacted with?

I suppose you can remove unit from collection manager if unit gets interaction and put it back when interaction finished.

It works fine. I find it uses many more evaluations than necessary though, since it is coded in unscheduled FSM. Why I need to scan for new bodies every 0.015 seconds? Isn't every 2 seconds enough?

Still, for most uses that performance load is not an issue, and it is simple to setup so I think BIS did a good job with it.

Here is another option (yes shameless plug),

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?185479-RELEASE-Recurring-Cleanup-Script

with a few extra config options and indeed it is set to not delete stuff that is near people unless absolutely necessary (the number of objects exceeds the configured maximum). Once the number of objects reaches the max, it will take the oldest first, so there is very little chance of bodies/vehicles/ruins/craters/etc deleting in front of people. BIS Remains Collector does the same oldest-first thing, although there is also a minimum/maximum time before objects are considered for removal.

It is engine based so it should be more efficient than scripted solutions, unless you have some special requirements. In my experience, it disposes of corpses and wrecks just fine.

Thats a good point. I am making an assumption that its a bit of a performance hog as it's in FSM and thus unscheduled. After X amount of time, how many evaluations does it perform? Isn't it more perf friendly to perform less evaluations over X time?

Disregard.

Edited by Wolfenswan
Derp moment.

Edit: I seemed to have misremembered that double-posts would merge automatically. How do I flag my post above to an admin for deletion?

I did some testing with the manager and here are my observations. Please comment if I have missed anything.

Behavior:

- corpses sink into the ground and are deleted after a few sec

- wrecks are simply deleted

- crew of vehicles is hidden but not deleted (in one instances those corpses kept floating above ground even) Bug?

- empty groups remain

Mode:

- if set to 1, all alive units + men are automatically added to the collector and removed once dead according to the other settings

- if set to anything else, only applicable units will be in the collector

- if set to anything else than 1, adding units to collector manually does not seem to remove them

- according to the wiki the default value for both modes in MP is 2 but in a dedicated environment getNumber(missionConfigFile >> "corpse/wreckManagerMode") returns 0 if not set in the description.ext Bug?

Thus

- in which scenario would the addToRemainsCollector command be useful, if all modes seem to fill it automatically and it does not work to manually "feed" the manager with units not applicable?

- could someone clarify on the FSM thing? For what it is currently doing there seems to be little benefit to run it via FSM what a simple script looping through allDead can achieve?

- a mode 4 for "manual" might come in handy to allow better control over how often it checks and feeding it manually. or just allow manual feeding in any mode.

- according to the wiki the default value for both modes in MP is 2 but in a dedicated environment getNumber(missionConfigFile >> "corpse/wreckManagerMode") returns 0 if not set in the description.ext Bug?

getNumber on non existing entry is always 0, doesn't mean remains collector interpret no entry as 0. If it says default 2 then it is 2.

getNumber(missionConfigFile >> "roiuroreiuoeirureoirueoreiure") will return 0 too