Sign in to follow this  
grahas

New facebook group for modders to get together and help each other out

I wasn't terribly sure where this should go so I started at the top. Any way I made a ArmA 3 Facebook page for anyone who edits ArmA 3. It is my hope that it will serve as a 1 learning hub where new modders can get help from the more experienced ones; 2 a place for getting feedback on projects; 3 a question and answer so people can resolve issues quickly 4; recruiting grounds for more experienced people getting groups together for making various mods 5; a central place for people to be connected. In blender there is the same kind of thing where if you ever have a problem then you can just ask the group. But the group is nothing without members so JOIN NOW! Every one is welcome, no limits on anything (age, skill, etc) The more people the better.

the group name is "ArmA 3 community Modders"

This is something I think every modder should join for the benefit of ArmA 3

Edited by grahas

This is the Mission Editing and Scripting Forum, I would recommend you get this thread moved to either the Addons: Configs and Scripting Forum or the Arma 3 Modeling Forum, as your community for making mods doesn't exactly belong in this forum as this forum is geared towards mission editing (in the Arma 3 Editor) and scripting (.sqf), not mods and addons (modeling, .cpp, etc.).

The information on how to move this thread to the proper forum can be found at this link:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?137428-ATTN-USERS-Proper-use-of-the-report-to-moderator-system

Edited by JShock

facebook ? urgh...

Why would you even want that?

If it's a closed group, nobody from the outside sees your activity in it and it's no problem.

Why make problems, Tajin?

Search query on facebook returns zero results. Why wouldn't you just post a URL?

Sorry bout that, it was my first post so I couldn't put in a URL

also, the group needs every one to join to be successful

https://www.facebook.com/groups/495148620627819/.

---------- Post added at 10:56 ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 ----------

facebook is an already develop platform geared toward this type of thing. It'll make coordination very easy and learning even more so.

I'm always torn when it comes to these kind of things.

I fully support open collaboration, sharing and learning and such a group could provide a strong focal point for the community.

On the other hand, these forums, supported by the biki, already form a strong enough focal point and I would worry about diluting the pool of knowledge or spreading information resources too thinly around where people may not find them as easily.

facebook is an already develop platform geared toward this type of thing
these forums, supported by the biki, already form a strong enough focal point and I would worry about diluting the pool of knowledge or spreading information resources too thinly around where people may not find them as easily.

Exactly.

I really don't see much reason to support a data hog such as facebook instead of using the well established forum that we already have here.

If thats your cup of tea, I certainly won't stop you (or "make problems" as Polygon assumed).

To each his own. :rolleyes:

But I don't want people to know my real naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame. Besides, we have the teamspeak, but JShock and I are the only ones ever in it anymore

But I don't want people to know my real naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame. Besides, we have the teamspeak, but JShock and I are the only ones ever in it anymore

Yea it's named the "Scripters' Lounge", but we have it opened to anyone who wants to come in, we had a terrain guy in there for a while. (link to info in my signature)

For many of us we have various backgrounds (blender, max, Photoshop, or whatever) I come from a blender background and something that we do that is extremely helpful, interesting and convenient is have that page on Facebook. You can read the Facebook page, see what people are up to, see interesting mods, stay up to date on all the changing information (There is a ton of outdated information on forums and wiki) and get help or even build a team for a project.

This will be especially good if we can get the really smart people and the really enthusiastic people together. I know it is easy to be a skeptic, but that is what will make or break the group. Active members or passive members. I use Facebook on a daily basis and I'm sure that many other people do too. So instead of going through the internet and hunting for information you can get it from the group/page much more easily. It is for every ones benefit.

Not that I'm against the very idea, but I'd say it's close to 200 times easier to search a forum than it is to search a facebook page :p

Anyway, there are also skype groups:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?131825-Skype-groups-amp-other-contact-groups

I can't speak for all of them but the scripting one is pretty active.

I dont really know what to say about you name, but the group wont have a problem of lack of people if every one joins. "I want you for Arma 3 dev group"

I dont really know what to say about you name, but the group wont have a problem of lack of people if every one joins. "I want you for Arma 3 dev group"

I just don't really see the point, we already have the forum for "fishing" for help (as in cast your line and then check back occasionally), and we have teamspeak for live help/hangout

Well all I can say is just join, help people out, ask some questions build a cool mission or mod.

For many of us we have various backgrounds (blender, max, Photoshop, or whatever) ... and something that we do that is extremely helpful, interesting and convenient is have this forum. You can read the this forum, see what people are up to, see interesting mods, stay up to date on all the changing information (There is a ton of outdated information on forums and wiki but content is updated and added all the time) and get help or even build a team for a project.

This is especially good because we already have the really smart people and the really enthusiastic people together. I know it is easy to be a skeptic, but having them leave will ... break the group. Active members or passive members. I use this forum on a daily basis and I'm sure that many other people do too. So instead of going through the internet and hunting for information you can get it from this forum much more easily. It is for every ones benefit.

Without any disrespect to you, friend, I've edited your post a little to show my own thoughts.

Edited by A.Cyprus

Well all I can say is just join, help people out, ask some questions build a cool mission or mod.

Why not bring your team here, by that rationale?

Oh right, personal preference.

;)

(There is a ton minimal amount of outdated information on forums and wiki)

I hope people are reading the notes I put on wiki pages, otherwise I'm just wasting my time. Others, I know KK for one, actually edit the wiki pages themselves (I can't bring myself to do that in case my findings are incorrect). If you are finding so much outdated information, I beseech you to leave a note on the talk page. KK has personally responded to me, usually within a day. Shit, sometimes I'll even see that wiki pages have been edited for clarity after leaving a note.

Edited by DreadedEntity

I hope people are reading the notes I put on wiki pages, otherwise I'm just wasting my time. Others, I know KK for one, actually edit the wiki pages themselves (I can't bring myself to do that in case my findings are incorrect). If you are finding so much outdated information, I beseech you to leave a note on the talk page. KK has personally responded to me, usually within a day. Shit, sometimes I'll even see that wiki pages have been edited for clarity after leaving a note.

There's a skype group for biki editing too ;)

I've definitely read your notes before - and don't be scared to make edits, they can always be reversed if necessary!

There is a ton of outdated information on forums and wiki

That is only because there is more information here already. Once you get a decent amount of information on a different platform, you will also have to deal with outdated info.

So instead of going through the internet and hunting for information you can get it from the group/page much more easily.

That makes no sense.

Ask a properly formulated question here on the forum and you're likely to receive help from all kinds of experienced users in no time.

Splitting the community also means splitting the knowledge base, there's no benefit in that.

Why nobody highlights this link with, for ex, a popup when you enter BIKI for the 1st/2nd time (how cookies work) so people get informed right away?

But it is second link from the top on the left on practically any page.