zorrobyte

"Community" WICT for A3

wict2_4.jpg

First off:

LnkB9Cb.png

Link Link 2

All clear now? Good.

WICT has always been a favorite of mine, all credits to ArmAIIholic. Who else could resist "Safe, hot, tampon and directional zones"? There was some improvement made in MSO to this module (MSO License and CC license of WICT). My goal is to revive WICT in spirit by porting it to A3 and finishing features that may not be finished in the original project.

Plan

I'd like to recruit anyone who would like to contribute to the project and share the vision of what WICT set out to be. I feel there is a sore lacking of COOP in A3 and I'd love to help bring the tools for COOP to reemerge in A3. I would love to use a GIT repo, wiki and issue tracker if others will operate in the framework.

License

Per CC, any changes will be released under the same license guaranteeing anyone to share and adapt the work. As MSO is Apache licensed and open by default AND WICT is CC Share-alike, there shouldn't be any reason not to implement the wonderful work the MSO team has put into the module. Never the less, rage below.

Credits

All work is and will be attributed to ArmAIIholic and the authors of improvements since WICT's A2 inception. The final release version will be by "The Arma Community" or some other name that indicates this is a project by the community for the community. After the feud from Group Link, I can care less if my work has my name on it as it's not about that for me. I tweak and build things for all to enjoy with the best intentions at heart and it hasn't always worked out well for me but I'm learning to have more of a spine and see the greater good that I may provide overall. At the end of day, I personally enjoy tweaking and working in the Arma engine, I don't want "fame" or monetary gain, just something to do in my spare time. Possibly "By the Arma community with help from X, X, X?".

Repo

I have a rough version semi-working since alpha days here

Issues

As a core proof of concept, things are working for the most part. I finished up the RE to BIS_fnc_MP changes last night but capturing bases still isn't working. There was reports in A2 that capturing was not working there either, I don't believe the code was ever finished.

Call to action

If you are enraged by the recent events of A3L but don't understand how CC or Apache licenses work and the intentions of such authors who release their work under permissive licenses and wish to misdirect your anger on this project, why not vent here?. Else if you are still with me and encourage or wish to help with the project, post below! I think the idea of WICT is too cool to pass up.

Edited by zorrobyte

Looks good, I might be interested depending on what you need. I'm a scripter primarily and have little experience with coding for addons. Also I noticed the A2 version was using the F2 Framework. Would you be interested in a similar collaboration for this one?

Looks good, I might be interested depending on what you need. I'm a scripter primarily and have little experience with coding for addons. Also I noticed the A2 version was using the F2 Framework. Would you be interested in a similar collaboration for this one?

WICT has always been a script only release so no worries there. It may be nice at some point to compile an addon version but isn't high priority.

As for F2/F3, it seems ArmAIIholic was trying to make it as easy as possible to users to use his work for MP. I'd like to keep WICT standalone and modularized as in not combine F3 into the WICT download so I'm not updating F3 in the WICT GIT. If someone wants to do this still, I have no problem making a branch with F3.

The most pressing issue is to solve base capturing as currently it doesn't work. I converted RE to BIS_fnc_MP with not much luck, maybe the issue is in sandbox_exe.sqf? This is the author's documentation on MP implementation.

@Kremator, has base capturing ever worked in A2/OA?

@Wolfenswan - do you have a Bitbucket account? I'll give you repo access for GIT. If you don't have a GIT client, I personally love Smartgit.

Edited by zorrobyte

Yeah base capturing worked fine in A2. Good to see this being resurrected. Good work mate.

Interesting, I just read up on the Supports Module in the A3 DLC. As for "capturable" areas, AI spawning and the like, there are some similarities to WICT in a way. Would be interesting to see what can be learned.

As the base capture module seems to be integrated into COIN in WICT, I would believe WICT would be useful in PvP missions with AI spawning off as players could "capture" areas to earn income to purchase vehicles, equipment. Combined with R3F, players could build up bases and AI could spawn to reinforce the area. I'm imagining a hybrid COOP-PvP mission type powered by WICT, would be interesting!

Most pressing though before I get off topic, base capturing needs fixed and the MSO improvements to WICT still running when all players dead can be ported back over (along with others).

Edited by zorrobyte

I don't have a bitbucket account but that can be arranged. Any reason for why you prefer it over Github? As for client, I'm happy with Sourcetree or just 360 noscope console commands.

Btw., would a client playing in a mission require WICT or is it enough if the server/host runs it?

I don't have a bitbucket account but that can be arranged. Any reason for why you prefer it over Github? As for client, I'm happy with Sourcetree or just 360 noscope console commands.

Btw., would a client playing in a mission require WICT or is it enough if the server/host runs it?

I worked previously with Atlasssian products in past employment, also a bit uncomfortable still with the sexism at Github. I'm willing to use Github if it means more developers will join in on the project.

As for if the client or server needs to run, not too sure what you mean. As of now, WICT is script only and I've yet to document which functions run where. If you mean if/when it goes addon, I'd prefer if the addon only needs ran on the server.

My Skype is ross.fisher91

As for if the client or server needs to run, not too sure what you mean. As of now, WICT is script only and I've yet to document which functions run where. If you mean if/when it goes addon, I'd prefer if the addon only needs ran on the server.

Yeah was talking about the latter and I agree it would be optimal to keep it server-only.

I was wondering is the project dead? I have a few ideas if not. I'd like to join this team.