Sign in to follow this  
XxTRUEPINOYxX

8GB of ram or 16GB?

Should i go for 8GB of ram or 16GB i will do recording sometimes and Graphics card will be a EVGA GTX 970, CPU Intel i5-4690k.

I think 8 GB is good to go,use the money of the RAM and try to buy an i7.

Well I'm cap out on my budget if i try and go for i7

I have 8GB. Never had a problem, even when running a dedicated server while playing.

If you currently don't have an SSD, might be a consideration. to be honest, I haven't really noticed any diff, going from 8GB to 16GB.

Arma itself, at the moment, is a CPU intensive game, not RAM, so 8gb should be sufficient (I actually run a 6 year old laptop with 4gb), 16gb isn't really necessary, but it just depends on how much RAM the OS, recording software, and whatever else takes up in the background.

Arma doesn't support >2GB RAM.

32-bit applications can use a maximum of about 4GB so if for some reason Bohemia is actually refusing to use half of the available ram, this statement is false

Yxman is correct. Currently BI has not increased usuable ram, they've talked about it but nothing yet. Id go with 16gb ram if you have no budget for anything else. Not so much for the game but really helps if your a serious multi tasker

Yxman is correct. Currently BI has not increased usuable ram, they've talked about it but nothing yet. Id go with 16gb ram if you have no budget for anything else. Not so much for the game but really helps if your a serious multi tasker

The arma launcher states the maximum supported is around 3.2gig (the limit for 32bit I believe) and I regularly see ram usage above 5-6gig when playing arma. The only extra software running is afterburner, play with six and freetrack which doesn't equate to gigabytes of ram.

To the original question, 8gb is more than enough presently for arma. Although if they do manage to switch it over to 64bit then I can see the ram requirement expanding massively.

8GB works fine for me.

I believe ARMA does not use more than 4GB itself so depends what else you are doing in the background, and of course you should be doing a little as possible.

Edited by EDcase