Sign in to follow this  
AgentRev

Minigun ammo scam

I think the game performance could not handle the real life volume of bullets. And now the ammo counter matches the real fire rate.

Also, isn't there a splash damage effect to compensate the lack of bullets?

It's not a scam, it's a compromise.

There is no splash damage. Just plain ammo. The ammo counter matches the real fire rate but it's all smokes and mirrors, the minigun doesn't fire at that rate.

EDIT: There seems to be a mix of splash and non-splash

yeah we tweaked the damage a lot and the dispersion and added a little splash and it works a treat (in A2)

normal arma miniguns - really poor

admittedly this is simulating a triple minigun we developed for the AC47, but it uses the same ammo boost we gave the double ones

Engine cannot support rate of fire highier than framerate. If you have serious perfomance driop, and try fire a machinegun, you will notice lowered fire rate, and different recoil due to that. Back in ArmA2 every shot of mnigun would consume 4 rounds and deal 4x damage of 7.62mm, I didn't look at ArmA3 configs, but I guess there's some workaround there for it too.

According to config, current direct damage of 6.5mm minigun ammo is equal to its rifle counterpart. It has a splash damage equivalent to 15% its direct damage, with a 1m area of effect. It's okay for firing at infantry from above, but the 67% reduction in fired bullets per mag makes them a lot less effective against vehicles.

yep they did same in A2 for the yakB and twin m134. added in multiplier to empty mags faster but only ramped the damage by a fraction, meaning that the yakB was something like 8x underpowered (as it actually fires two bullets with each cartridge 1SLT ammo) and the twin m134's were acting at at least half damage

i did a table somewhere - will see if i can dig it out

Looks like BIS are not open to discuss this, so I guess the only logical solution is to manually triple the ammo of all the miniguns in my mission.