Sign in to follow this  
infiltrator_2k

Dart Drone Cannot See Opfor

Just messing with drones tonight on my Takistan map with CAF units and I noticed at least a dart drone cannot see Opfor units on the ground. However, I've found if I place a Blufor unit nearby the Opfor units they're seen by the dart drone. Any idea?

Maybe try adding crew to the UAV so that knowsabout works.

createVehicleCrew this;

Or if you're using a cache script then the units don't spawn until someone is near.

I'm not using a cache script Das. I'm using the simulation manager module and it turns out that drones aren't recognised as being present to cancel out the simulation manager. It's a big flaw IMO as it defeats the object of having drones for long distance surveillance/targeting. I suspect it's because the drone is non-playable; if I add an 'unplayable' Blufor unit within the simulation manager's radius it too doesn't cancel the simulation manager. The units appear to have to be 'playable'.

Are there any workarounds for this?

I found this: http://feedback.arma3.com/print_bug_page.php?bug_id=18336

Edited by Infiltrator_2K
Added link

Not splitting hairs, but it is caching the units for later use. I didn't know it was specifically the sim module as you didn't mention it in your op.

Regardless, you could try:

1 - Attaching an invisible playable unit on top of the drone.

2 - Copy the FSM for sim module and modify to check for allUnitsUAV as well as players/playable units. (rename and add back in as your own module when done).

TBH Das I'm wondering why I'm putting hours into creating missions when it's evident that BIS aren't even bothered with fixing Arma. How long has this flaw been an issue? How long will it be until it's resolved?

BIS get your sh*t together and fix the god damn game! I'm sick with having to rely on the community for the abundance of missing content and workarounds. When you alone put hours upon hours into creating missions the least you can expect is for a BIS coder to have the decency to write a few lines of code to fix a bug that has such a big impact on gameplay.

I don't know if this is helpful at all to what your trying but:

Was mucking around with UAVs in ARMA 3 as I plan on making a script that checks for enemies. I noticed the UAVs alone wont see enemies however if you combine a UAV operator AI unit and check his targets rather than the drones it seems to work:

private["_drone","_unit","_terminate","_query","_targetunits","_enemyCount","_UAVconnection"];
_drone = _this select 0;
_unit = _this select 1;
_unit enableUAVConnectability [_drone,true];
sleep 1;
_unit connectTerminalToUAV _drone; 
sleep 1;
_terminate = false;
while {!_terminate} do {
_query = _unit targetsQuery ["","","","",""];
_targetunits = [];
{_targetunits set [count _targetunits,_x select 1]; sleep 0.05} foreach _query;
_enemyCount = _unit countEnemy _targetunits;
_UAVconnection = getConnectedUAV _unit;
hintSilent format["UAV CONNECTION: %1 ENEMYCOUNT: %2",(_UAVconnection),(_enemyCount)];
sleep 0.1;
if (_enemyCount > 0) then
{
	_terminate = true;
	hint "ENEMY FOUND!";
};
if (_UAVconnection != _drone) then
{
	_terminate = true;
	hint "CONNECTION LOST!";
};
};
_unit connectTerminalToUAV objNull;

Execute with:

_null = [_drone,_droneOperator] execVM "dronetest.sqf"

Operator requires a UAV terminal I believe.

Note: If you want a UAV to spot infantry it seems to respond best at lower altitudes like 30 meters although it spots enemy vehicles really well.

The script will exit when and if the unit accessing the UAV sees any enemies either in person or via the drone or the drone is killed.

Edited by Rejenorst

When you alone put hours upon hours into creating missions the least you can expect is for a BIS coder to have the decency to write a few lines of code to fix a bug that has such a big impact on gameplay.

But here's the thing. We're creating and maintaining bollocks missions here and there. They're working with the engine also and maintaining an entire game itself. Providing commands to us. Fixing other things. It's far easier to set back on the outside and say "I would have done this or would have done that" or "why haven't you done this yet?".

It's not possible to tend every request unfortunately. What does or does not have a "big impact" on gameplay is subjective in any case. IMO any other game wouldn't have provided even 1/8th of the content and possibilities to begin with. Atleast Arma has UAVs.

upvoted

---------- Post added at 07:40 ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 ----------

Ahh it's already assigned. See, they do do stuff =)

But here's the thing. We're creating and maintaining bollocks missions here and there. They're working with the engine also and maintaining an entire game itself. Providing commands to us. Fixing other things. It's far easier to set back on the outside and say "I would have done this or would have done that" or "why haven't you done this yet?".

It's not possible to tend every request unfortunately. What does or does not have a "big impact" on gameplay is subjective in any case. IMO any other game wouldn't have provided even 1/8th of the content and possibilities to begin with. Atleast Arma has UAVs.

In today's modern warfare a drone's role and participation on the battlefield is equally as much as an integral part of a fighting force's weapon's arsenal as a soldier's firearm. Drones save lives, eliminate threats and acquire valuable intelligence; the flaw should have taken priority in being fixed IMO. Many of the fixes that BIS have implemented since that ticket had been raised are pretty petty when you weigh up how much impact the drone flaw has on the game.

I'm more of a contributor. My scripting skills are very limited ATM, but I'll spend countless hours creating missions for others to enjoy, so I expect just as much dedication when employees and their company are making money from selling us their product. Rest assured if I had the knowhow I would have done the fix myself, regardless how long it would have taken.

Overall I'm impressed with BIS' commitment on fixing Arma. But outstanding issues like these infuriate me and the fact I personally can't rectify the issue myself is just damn frustrating.