lordprimate

Dear Mod Makers, Sign your Mods.. Its easy....

Adding to this thread, my previous video is outdated, please use this one on how to sign your addon or mod:

Edited by Gunter Severloh
Had to reupload the video, had a quality issue, now fixed.
  • Like 2

@Gunter Severloh Hi, I have problem with a mod the author do not provide keys. I tried to reach out and ask for keys but its impossible (I cannot find his mod in the workshop), provided link to Discord server seems like a scam asking for for email and other personal info (it opens only in web browser, not in Discord). What can I do if I want to use the mod and restrict the modlist via verifySignatures = 2 ? The guy uploading it says in the description he is not the author, just uploading the files but I don't see how to use them ... I can sign and give keys but then what, I don't know the original author to ask permission to upload it, etc. Any ideas?    

On 12/22/2023 at 10:03 PM, kibaBG said:

I have problem with a mod the author do not provide keys.

What mod is it?

Imo if your going to use the mod on your server in private with a password and your mission while using that mod and any others

is just for you and your friends then i see no reason to have verify signatures set on the server, thats only needed if

your server is going to be open to the public.

Also the problem is if the server is public then other would be players also need the mod on their end which also needs to be signed

so that your server can check against their version and what the server has, and give it an ok if its legit.

So its sorta a conundrum where you need to either locate the author get his blessing to use his mod and or ask him to sign it, if you

do contact him and if he says he wont do it, then ask if you can do it, again theres the problem of other players also need the signed files.

Mod from a joining player's perspective needs the addons to have the bisigns that signing the mod creates, then the server needs the same

thing plus the bikey which the server uses to do its verification against joining players with your signed mod.

If anything if you do contact the author get his permission to upload it to the workshop, give him credits, but have it signed,

on another note if you cannot get a hold of the author, then imo your better to go private on your server, and only share the mod

with your friends.

I don't understand why keys exist if the only way to use of the mod is forced only for a server between friends who will not use forbidden mods anyway ...