Sign in to follow this  
Paratrooper

This is it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Sep. 17 2002,20:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">it's not the number of round fired but the availability of the rifle i think ....<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, I though it might be something along these lines. Is that high or low? What does it mean in practice?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (joltan @ Sep. 17 2002,20:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Sep. 17 2002,20:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">it's not the number of round fired but the availability of the rifle i think ....<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, I though it might be something along these lines. Is that high or low? What does it mean in practice?<span id='postcolor'>

depends ... are the 85% including REAL combat operations ?

the famas has something around 95% availabilty , the 5% remaining are neutralised (by neutralised , i mean without firing mechanism) for presentation use (something like 0.1% smile.gif ), the ones that are being checked after a few year of service and going back in the units after the checks , the broken ones because of the "bleuets" , the one used in various special military programs and aren't considered as active weapons (famas-felin testing and many other things such as verifying scope mounts on new scopes etc etc)

-edit- 95 percents including the various military operations around the world (from the peacekeeping in kosovo and afghanistan and all the various international joint exercises (but those aren't war missions)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Sep. 17 2002,20:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Sep. 17 2002,10:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><Snip>

mg43 = licensed built minimi by hk<span id='postcolor'>

Nope, it's not the same weapon.

Also, as far as I know, H&K has never licensed any other company's designs for its own production, while they have licensed their designs to other companies and governments.

H&K has sold non-H&K products in some markets under their own name, but they did not produce those firearms. For example, I own a Benelli Super 90 M3 that was imported by H&K and stamped with the Heckler & Koch name on the barrel and receiver.<span id='postcolor'>

Well I would be very happy to see the Minimi in service, but I admit, I am glad the SA80 is going to be worked on.

It probably would have been a good idea for em to go with the AR-18. I dunno if anyone is firmiliar but this is a gun that was designed to replace the AR-15. Being constructed of sheet metal stampings it was cheaper to produce. They say that accuracy was every bit as good. And it was a more reliable piston operated design. These rifles were produced for a while by sterling. So it would have been a pretty natural solution.

I hear the sa80 actually derived from this design. But somehow something was messed up along the way.

The rifle never was adopted for any kind of military service. But I guess the IRA liked it. They called it the "widow maker".

Another cool gun was the Stoner63.

AR-18: (1963)

ar180_400.gif

Just as the AR-16 is basically a sheet metal version of the AR-10, the AR-18 is a sheet metal version of the AR-15.

The AR-18 was an effort to correct the 1959 mistake of selling the AR-15 to Colt’s. As the AR-15 became successful, ArmaLite needed a rifle that could compete in the same market.

The AR-18 is a .223 caliber, gas operated, 6.9 pound rifle equipped with a folding stock. It is capable of both full and semi-automatic fire.

The AR-18 uses steel stampings instead of alloy forgings, this simplifying manufacture and greatly reducing production costs. The main functional differences include the use of a Tokarev style sliding gas cylinder under the handguards that avoided violating the Stoner gas system patent that was sold to Colt’s Patent Firearms Manufacturing Company. The new system had the advantage of keeping powder residue out of the action. The second difference was the use of dual operating springs on rods in the upper receiver, which allowed the stock to fold to the side.

Taken from:The Gunnery Network, Gun Glossary

One of the best resources on the net for gun info that I have seen so far.

Tyler