Sign in to follow this  
Albert Schweitzer

Tell us about your political attitude

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I might think Mr Bush has the intellect of a rutabaga, but I'll never denigrate you for believing in him. It takes courage to stand up for what you believe, even when there is a lot of people who disagree. Personally I think Colin Powell would make a far better president...but he's far enough down the list that you'd have to lose a good chunk of the senior politicians in the USA all at once for that to happen.... and I dont see that happening. Maybe in the next election<span id='postcolor'>

I appreciate that Warin. It really takes no courage to stand up for your convictions. Believe me, this is not a tough crowd to deal with. I will always try to maintain the high ground.

As for Colin Powell, I have been disappointed in his actions. Many times I would have thought he was working for the DemocRats. Don't worry though, in George Bush's 2nd term, I don't think Powell will be there.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SirLoins @ Sep. 18 2002,02:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I might think Mr Bush has the intellect of a rutabaga, but I'll never denigrate you for believing in him.  It takes courage to stand up for what you believe, even when there is a lot of people who disagree.  Personally I think Colin Powell would make a far better president...but he's far enough down the list that you'd have to lose a good chunk of the senior politicians in the USA all at once for that to happen.... and I dont see that happening.  Maybe in the next election<span id='postcolor'>

I appreciate that Warin.  It really takes no courage to stand up for your convictions.  Believe me, this is not a tough crowd to deal with.  I will always try to maintain the high ground.

As for Colin Powell, I have been disappointed in his actions.  Many times I would have thought he was working for the DemocRats.  Don't worry though, in George Bush's 2nd term, I don't think Powell will be there.<span id='postcolor'>

Just because he doesnt cowtow to the party line? Because hes a voice of reason?

Yeah, I can see how that might make you think he is working for the other side

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just because he doesnt cowtow to the party line? Because hes a voice of reason?

<span id='postcolor'>

And you would have stood by Madaline Albright if she would have voiced a Republican thought or two? Ha!

Tex, sooner or later you'll have to admit your liberal. Don't be ashamed of it. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SirLoins @ Sep. 18 2002,03:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just because he doesnt cowtow to the party line? Because hes a voice of reason?

<span id='postcolor'>

And you would have stood by Madaline Albright if she would have voiced a Republican thought or two?  Ha!

Tex, sooner or later you'll have to admit your liberal.  Don't be ashamed of it. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I find the American trend towards branding people quite obnoxious. 'Liberal' 'Conservative' etc. they are not ridgid concepts.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I find the American trend towards branding people quite obnoxious. 'Liberal' 'Conservative' etc. they are not ridgid concepts. <span id='postcolor'>

What else is there but "branding?"

Conservative, Liberal, Independent, Green, Religious right, Environmentalist, African American, Mexican American, whatever. Everyone calls themselves something. You can argue as to what degree of "conservative" that I am, but what else is there but labels?

In politics there are only Republicans and Democrats. No independents. It's all a matter of degree. Some just don't admit it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SirLoins @ Sep. 18 2002,03:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just because he doesnt cowtow to the party line? Because hes a voice of reason?

<span id='postcolor'>

And you would have stood by Madaline Albright if she would have voiced a Republican thought or two?  Ha!

Tex, sooner or later you'll have to admit your liberal.  Don't be ashamed of it. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Just because I have a particular distaste for ultra-conservatives (which I am surrounded by everyday) and their 'fall in line or get the fuck out' attitude, does not mean I am a liberal. As for Madeline Albright and the Clinton administrations abortive foreign policy, they did more harm to our country than good. For example, I thought our cozying up to China was embarassing- I personnally would like to see us put the screws to China on trade deals to try and force them to unfuck their human-rights situation.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SirLoins @ Sep. 18 2002,03:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In politics there are only Republicans and Democrats.  No independents.  It's all a matter of degree.  Some just don't admit it.<span id='postcolor'>

This is complete and utter bullshit. I have no allegiance to either party and I never will.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> by Tex...As for Madeline Albright and the Clinton administrations abortive foreign policy<span id='postcolor'>

Well we do agree on that.

Tex, chill out with the four letter words, it's not very becoming.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">He said and was recorded and played back for him that he would get rid of the GST, then said he didn't say it. Claims to talk to homeless people and they say they like their life. <span id='postcolor'>

I remember watching him last Christmas in his interview with Peter Mansbridge from the CBC. I found it hard to control the urge to hurl objects at the T.V. when he said that there is absolutely nothing wrong with our military. That man lies through his teeth and people still vote for his party, how any sane person can do that is beyond me.

Have you guys heard the news? I heard this morning that the Liberals are considering raising the GST to 10%. In 1993 he says he will get rid of it, in 2002 he is thinking of raising it! What a load of crap.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For pure political reasons axed the replacement helicopters when he got in office and now our service people are dying in the Sea Kings that should have been retired 10 years ago<span id='postcolor'>

Colin, our entire inventory of vehicles should have been replaced or overhauled 10 years ago, not just the Sea King. I talked to a pilot and he told me about how much a piece of garbage the Sea King is. Our Leopard 1 tanks were designed back in the 60's, our Griffon helicopters are merely civvie helocopters with a green coat of paint, or so I have been told numerous times. I could drone on and on about how our military equipment is lacking, but I'm sure you get the point.

I honestly don't think the PC party or the Canadian Alliance would make things better for our country, as Warin said, our political situation is merely a case of dumb and dumber. But after 10 years of Liberal control, I think a switch-up is long overdue.

Tyler

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You could always let us annex you<span id='postcolor'>

Over my dead body.

tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">With your military? I think it could be arranged <span id='postcolor'>

We will never surrender. We will choke your rivers with our dead! tounge.gif

No, we will release 'Operation Celebraty'. We've got sleepers all over your entertainment industry and since all Americans are totally influenced by the media we will have total control of your country.

Yeah the GST thing has me really ticked off right now. The thing that really gets me is the the justice system and the Human Resources department. It is so obvious they paid out their cronies with the billion dollars and no one seems to care.

COLINMAN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Sep. 18 2002,07:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">We will never surrender. We will choke your rivers with our dead!    tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Kamikazi lumberjacks? wow.gif

lol... well sounds like you guys are screwed in the leadership department- whaddaya expect when you allow yer French population to vote? tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Sep. 18 2002,08:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">whaddaya expect when you allow yer French population to vote?  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, they're always so self-centered whenever they vote. It's always "us" or "nobody" at the ballot box - "we" or "none".

Er........ Pardon my French.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Sep. 17 2002,23:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">lol... well sounds like you guys are screwed in the leadership department- whaddaya expect when you allow yer French population to vote?  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Actually the French are quite smart. Every time they start whinning and threaten to leave the government throws tons of money at them. I don't think they ever really want to leave, they just like money smile.gif

COLINMAN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DayGlow @ Sep. 18 2002,14:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yeah the GST thing has me really ticked off right now.<span id='postcolor'>

You got GST over in Canada too?

Damn, its getting out of control! Its been in New Zealand for quite a few years and now it invaded Australia. The funny thing is, John Howard, the Prime Minister who has brought it in, said a few years back when he was the opposition leader that he would never bring in GST. He gets into power, and looks what happens! The Liberal prty here lies all the time to get votes. If they didnt lie, they would never get in. They said that GST was for the best and it would have little affect on the people but that is a LIE. Most governments seem to be very good at LYING.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Sep. 18 2002,00:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Paratrooper @ Sep. 18 2002,00:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SirLoins @ Sep. 18 2002,00:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">which one would you consider the best?<span id='postcolor'>

The British system is better but the Swiss is best.<span id='postcolor'>

I have no beef with the British system, but the Swiss just sucks. They have referendums on all possible micro-decisions. This practically disables the politicians to make any long term decisions. Also, their political system is also to blame for the vast amount of really underdeveloped and poor parts in the country.<span id='postcolor'>

This is very true. For every damn lame decision of the Canton and even your silly city-district makes you vote. Since decades this highly conservative system hinders politicians to take nationwide actions. Switzerland has indeed pretty poor Cantons (counties), and that is also the fault of the politics. On the other hand because everything is so decentralised the cities and villages can decide themselves what is best for them. Switzerland is the country wih the highest amount of imigrants in entire europe but the income per capita still is 1/3 higher than europes average, criminality rates are realy low as well. The cities know best how to deal with their problems.

But lets not forget, that what we consider as a lame conservative political system is what makes switzerland so strong => zero currency fluctuations!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ Sep. 18 2002,12:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Sep. 18 2002,00:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Paratrooper @ Sep. 18 2002,00:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SirLoins @ Sep. 18 2002,00:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">which one would you consider the best?<span id='postcolor'>

The British system is better but the Swiss is best.<span id='postcolor'>

I have no beef with the British system, but the Swiss just sucks. They have referendums on all possible micro-decisions. This practically disables the politicians to make any long term decisions. Also, their political system is also to blame for the vast amount of really underdeveloped and poor parts in the country.<span id='postcolor'>

This is very true. For every damn lame decision of the Canton and even your silly city-district makes you vote. Since decades this highly conservative system hinders politicians to take nationwide actions. Switzerland has indeed pretty poor Cantons (counties), and that is also the fault of the politics. On the other hand because everything is so decentralised the cities and villages can decide themselves what is best for them. Switzerland is the country wih the highest amount of imigrants in entire europe but the income per capita still is 1/3 higher than europes average, criminality rates are realy low as well. The cities know best how to deal with their problems.

But lets not forget, that what we consider as a lame conservative political system is what makes switzerland so strong => zero currency fluctuations!<span id='postcolor'>

I agree, and that is what makes the Swiss system so appealing to me.

Don't bitch about Quebec. Do you know how many Prime Ministers came from Quebec, huh? If I knew I would tell you but I don't know so I can't tell you how many Prime Ministers came from Quebec. But it's more than those that came from BC or Alberta.

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ Sep. 18 2002,15wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Don't bitch about Quebec.  Do you know how many Prime Ministers came from Quebec, huh?  If I knew I would tell you but I don't know so I can't tell you how many Prime Ministers came from Quebec.  But it's more than those that came from BC or Alberta.<span id='postcolor'>

All the more reason to bitch about Quebec <!--emo&biggrin.gif

How DID Chretien get elected anyways? As far as I can tell, he can't speak either official language! confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DayGlow @ Sep. 18 2002,00:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No, we will release 'Operation Celebraty'. We've got sleepers all over your entertainment industry and since all Americans are totally influenced by the media we will have total control of your country.

Yeah the GST thing has me really ticked off right now. The thing that really gets me is the the justice system and the Human Resources department. It is so obvious they paid out their cronies with the billion dollars and no one seems to care.

COLINMAN<span id='postcolor'>

Hmm i don't know about being so ticked off, in many European countries the total tax is much higher than 15%.

Actually Chretien says they are not going to raise the tax. Or at least that the 10% is not true.

And I agree our choppers, hell, all our military is a piece of crap... other than some people. Remember, if you invest too much in the military you will have to use it to justify the cost, like the US which absolutely wants to use theirs all over the world to cover the cost and retrieve some lower Oil prices.