[SP Campaign] Deliverance

Deliverance_logo_final.png

Campaign description:

Type: infantry

Island: Altis

Audio: Czech

Text: English, German, Spanish, French, Russia, Czech

Short description:

Deliverance is a story-based Single player campaign, in which we try to demonstrate on the example of the republic of Altis, a small country how far racial discrimination and hate can escalate to. The player will have the chance to get to know the problems and motivation of both sides of the conflict and realize, that nothing is only black or white, that no side is absolutely right and mostly that violence doesn't solve these problems.

Part one:

In the first part of the story you will get to see the world through the eyes of John Masa, a member of the AAF forces.

Part two:

In the second episode of our story, you'll have the chance to see, how it is standing on the other side of the barricade in the role of the negro Benjamin Bower, who joins the black revolution, eventhough he didn't plan on doing so at first. This part will then conclude the whole story and the player gets an overview of the situation and will maybe realise, how senseless such a conflict is and how narrowminded it is to divide people based on their skin color or anything else.

You can be anxious about:

- Detailed characters

- Dialogs recorded by a professional czech dubbing group Fenix ProDabing

- Movie-like atmosphere with several cut scenes

- Unexpected turns in the story and some scenes that will maybe give you something to think about

- Added sounds and texture that will enhance the experience and make it deeper

- Translation into english and german

- Own soundtrack by Capo productions

01_mini.jpg02_mini.jpg03_mini.jpg 04_mini.jpg 05_mni.jpg06_mini.jpg 07_mini.jpg

(some screenshots)

Who we are:

Our team, Sarge studio, was established in January 2004. Until now, we created five bigger projects for games by Bohemia Interactive. Two SP mission (Down, Hinds) and one campaign, (Black day), for Operation Flashpoint. Campaign Maybe Tomorrow for ArmA and campaign the Memory for ArmA II. For ArmA 3 we released "experimental" short mission Rookie. You can look at our video for 10th anniversary below

What we do:

Our projects are very well rated for their storyline, elaborated characters, lot of conversations, and film atmosphere.

Deliverance teaser trailer:

Deliverance launch trailer:

10th Anniversary video:

Edited by SgS_Sarge

Great news. I liked your campaign "the memory", very good atmosphere - even if there was not enough playable part.

I hope this will be the same quality!

Hey, I've had a first playthrough. Since it's really late around here I'll just give you the unfiltered notes I took while playing:

• Spelling errors in the intro (and later on as well). Both in German an English texts. Especially in the anti-raciscm disclaimer it's quite obvious.
  • The voice acting is superb - sadly I don't speak a word in Czech. Especially during combat I don't get anything but a few numbers and a "Kurwa" from time to time. Plus it just feels off. Czech voices on a Greek island? The vanilla English AAF voices are already giving me a weird feeling but I kind of got used to it since most games and movies are dubbed in English. Czech voices would be awesome for a Chernarus campaign but on Altis - I don't know.
  • The main character is named John? And the others all seem to have English names as well? Again, doesn't really fit the scenario but that's artistic freedom I guess.
  • The racism backround is really nice (well, that sounds off^^) and offers a lot of potential for a great story.
  • The custom sounds are great.
  • The intro is really well done but feels a bit too long. Also the love letter is well done but I was like: "What the f*ck? I know this character for two seconds and he's already babbling about his heartache for ages? What kind of weirdo is this person?" - I'm totally exaggerating here but I hope you get the point. ;)
  • There is a buttload of scripted events! I'm tasked to pop a smoke grenade - smoke magically appears. I'm trying to fight off enemies - I'm ported into the car. "Hey, let's just walk here and play the game for 30 consecutive seconds..." - Bam, (well done) cutscene.
  • The car movement in the cutscene where the convoy starts is probably done via unit capture? Sadly, one can easily see that - no dust, no wheel movement, they're kind of shaking a bit. I hope BIS will fix / implement this feature one day.
  • Is there some kind of auto-healing?
  • The player seems to have little to none influence on what happens. Since there is a lot of scripting I didn't have much to do. Once I've noticed this I just ducked behind a house and waited until it was all over. Or I simply ran around like rambo doing run'n'gun.
  • When the helo was helping me out a group of enemies just stood on top of a hill in "Safe" mode doing nothing. My AI simply shot them down, they didn't even return the fire.
  • Sometimes new tasks are being created multiple times - or at least the task hint is shown several times in a row.
  • Is fatigue disabled as well?
  • I was kind of stucked for a few minutes at the harbour because one hostile AI survived and was hiding somewhere in the fields doing nothing. Same behaviour like the AI guys form the hill.
  • In the following cutscene a car in the background ran over a patrolling insurgent.
  • The animation of the crazy guy with the number game stuck at some point. Probably because it finished before his speech did.

All in all it's a well executed and exceptionally well scripted campaign start with lots of potential for a deep story with cool characters. But there's the downside already: Because of all the scripting and cutscenes and events the gameplay is virtually non-existent. It feels more like CoD than Arma. Go there, shoot this guy, cutscene, go on recon, oh you're crouched instead of prone - instant headshot, find a way to get better reception - bam, taskmarker. I've never really felt like I was in danger. The great things about Arma for me are the really tough situations. Tons of hostiles around you, flanking, suppressing, engaging - hell, you can hear them shouting out commands to kill you! Then you're wounded and you know that the next bullet you take is one too much. The best battles are the ones you have to revert 30 times until it's five in the morning and you're completely soaked with sweat but finally made that f*cking situation. All this is missing in this mission because of instant heal, scripted combat and no fatigue. By taking that weight from the player you also take part of the immersion with it - while on the other hand telling a great story with high quality voice acting, technically brilliant cutscenes and all that immersive stuff. I liked it but I wish for more freedom and more use of Arma's strengths instead of trying to create another CoD railroad shooter. I've read before that you're aiming for that movie-like feeling - which is great, as long as the gameplay can live up to it. ;)

Helicopter crash scene was cool, but other scenes were laggy. It's look like they are not optimized for slow PC's. Ten years of experience doesn't greatly increase the quality of the mission, many things could be done much better in 2014. Nevertheless this mission is much more interesting than other "generic military campaigns" like Green Draw and Resist.

Hi, 4IndeedPete

- It´s possible. None of us is native speaker in English or German. So if there will be some correction, I will be glad for that.

- If you read carefully our summary about island in notes, in our universe was this island belong to England as one of their colonies until 1985. So, that is the reason, for english names. English dubbing would be nice, but we do not have enough native speakers who recorded for us so many dubbing in such quality.

- Yes, car movement is recorded by unitcapture. Reason for that is simple. AI is not able to drive correctly in this scene how i wish... So this is much better solution then two minute long shot on AI, how try drive out of the base.

- Yes, there is some kind of auto-healing.

I thing that I understand the reason, why you don't enjoy this scenario so much. You correctly say that this scenario is little bit like the CoD style and that is truth. A little bit. I like that combination of freedom in ArmA, and scripted cinematic events from more action games, like CoD or BF. In combination with some good story and characters. I would not want to player be stuck is somewhere. For me, on the first place is game, and it must be fun... That is for example reason, why we decide to turn of fatigue system after last patch when BI reworked it. Because it was destroyed atmosphere in some scenes (run to forest after heli ***** for example). But it´s ok, everyone likes something different, and you have some good thoughts...

4Orange Sherbet :

Yes, optimization could be maybe better. On the other hand, I made this mission on PC from 2007. Only component in PC, what i replace was graphic card. So I made it and test it on this: Intel Core 2 6420 (2,13Ghz (2.67 after overclock)), 2GB DDR2 RAM, GeForce 260 GTX (older version). And still, with the correct graphics setting it´s playable.

• Non-native here as well. I've quickly loaded up the intro and within the first few lines the "won" in the German disclaimer should be "von". Apart from that "sicknes" should be "sickness". I've encountered a few more while playing. Just typos or missing letters, nothing major.
  • Ah, I've missed that British colony suff, sorry.^^ Yes, English dubbing would be great but I see your point. I have the same issue - too many lines for hobby speakers, so I've decided to leave the voice acting. The Czech ones sound great but just feel out of place. I'd feel the same if they'd suddenly speak in German with Bavarian (or worse, a Saxonian) accent. I've had a few good laughs because it just sounds funny to me - even if the scenes were quite serious. Czech people might feel different about it as they can actually understand what the characters are saying. What I'm trying to say is that the dubbed language should (and that's a completely personal opinion) fit the scenario. That is not always possible (language barrier etc.), so people got used to English dubbing as substitute. A great example where mixed languages are actually working is the German BluRay version of Tarantino's "Inglorious Basterds". You can select a special dubbing where the French people speak French, German people German and Brits / Americans English. It is just awesome even if I only understand two of those three languages wihtout subs.^^
  • Yes, AI and driving is a pity. That's why I'd love to see a proper implementation of unit capture for ground vehicles and infantry as well.

I liked it overall, it's a good mission for relaxation. You don't really have to think, you can just walk through, shoot some guys and enjoy the story. But for future missions I'd recommend to give the player a bit more power, just raising the bar a bit. To get back to the smoke grenade scene: Let the player throw that damn grenade and if he has none - well, too bad, now the whole squad has to cross the open field under heavy fire. Also the gameplay parts could be longer. Running from cutscene to cutscene is not really enjoyable. I like to keep my hands still for a good cutscene but after said scene I want to have at least a few minutes of actually doing something until I run into the next movie seqeuence. The best part of the mission was when I had to look for my squad and was able to roam the environment a little bit. Plus I'm really happy that there are no quicktime events - one of the things I dislike the most about games nowadays. Oh, and lastly, please make the cutscenes skippable. I don't mind watching them for the first time but it could become annoying if I intend to replay the mission. Keep up, I'd love to see a good story developing from it, especially because it's not the standard military NATO invades/defends Altis stuff.

I wanted to reiterate and elaborate on some of the thoughts I posted on Steam:

Likely the best mission I've played after the RESIST missions.

Story and it's set-up is ABSOLUTELY the most important aspect of any mission, something most people don't bother doing in favour of immediate action. Really great to see it properly fleshed out here, as well as some interesting characters with their own personalities.

The pacing was excellent; the peaks and troughs of action vs reflection seem meticulously crafted.

The inclusion of certain scripted set pieces were a refreshingly unique selling point for this mission.

The two uses of trees, car skids, Radio signal

I look forward to seeing creative problem solving like this in the future!

I actually had no problem reading the subtitles, and the VO was so well recorded that the language barrier was ultimately not an issue.

Some Critique:

I ran into a script error bug where the Cinematic border failed to be removed, thus I couldn't use the action menu. I reloaded and the problem didn't reappear. I caught a screengrab though: http://imgbox.com/0CX05qfB

Edit: I Saw your post on steam that this might be attributed to my using DEV branch.

I thought the ending was a little cliched, but tbh I can't think of a better way of doing it as it stands.

All in all, I look forward to the next episode.

In response to IndeedPetes feedback:

Getting the balance between giving the player freedom of movement/freedom of action and telling a well crafted story is one of the most difficult things to get right.

I take issue with this notion that ARMAs best aspect is it's freedom and that every mission should take advantage of it. I would say it's best aspect is the flexibility in it's potential for storytelling

I like having that restriction of freedom in this sort of campaign/mission. It's all about being told a story and completely involving you in the creators world.

If I wanted to have great freedom of movement and the option of completing a task however I see fit, I could whip up something quickly in the editor or MMC sandbox.

It takes a lot more skill and forethought to create a mission such as this.

The best battles are the ones you have to revert 30 times until it's five in the morning and you're completely soaked with sweat but finally made that f*cking situation.

This I have to heavily disagree with, this is the worst kind of situation to come across in a mission. I end up so angry and frustrated that I will never play that mission or that creators missions again.

It's not that I don't enjoy a challenge, but I, like many, have approximately 3 hours a week if I'm lucky to play a game and if I spend that time constantly reloading a mission, then that is time I've wasted and it feels awful.

Just my thoughts.

E

First update released...

Fixed:

- missing prolog text in german version

- player will stay stuck in car after crash scene (only DEV version)

- real player name in end titles

- when there is a new task notification appears twice.

- smoke shells are now throwing by soldiers

- Complete german text correction, THX to Wastul

-At the end, it's "to be continued", not "to be continue"

-Sometimes (don't remember), in some dialogs, the player uses "directSay" instead of "sideradio" - which is weird ant not possible:

the guy who he's talking to the radio can''t hear him ^^

Anyway, just finished it, it such a nice piece of work, I love it!

---------- Post added at 02:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 AM ----------

how many missions will it have?

And when can we expect the next one?

How about the number of missions and radio / dialog protocole I told you about?

Thanks

I do not know exactly where you mean. However, in some cases it is better to bear the soldiers shouted out loud, but through the radio. But, and that is realy big "but", yesterday, after I release the patch, my graphic card died. So I can´t now edit anything in arma. (files are ready but I can´t upload them). I hope a will solved this problem ASAP.

I mean, for example, when the player is talking to base in the radio, the radio protocole for the base is sideRadio (blue text) whereas the radio protocole for the player is directSay instead of sideRadio aswell.

It should be sideRadio for both.

Also, in the dialog with the guy who you must give the letter at the beginning, one of his sentence is done with sideRadio instead of directSay whereas you're in front of him. And instead of his name, it's caalled Alpha 1-1 (or somerhing like That)

I thing that first example is correct. Imagine that situation. If you talking with base, you hear your voice without radio noise. As same as you talking with someone face to face. But other side you hear in headphone, with that noise... so that is the reason, why player is directSay and base is sideRadio. But a will take a look on that. The secon one is definetley bug. (But I don't know what happend in there, because that guy have setIdentity...).

"The secon one is definetley bug. (But I don't know what happend in there, because that guy have setIdentity...). "

The problem is not here:

sideRadio will use the group name set with "this setGroupID ["name"]"

directSay will use the name of the guy

As said, in this dialog, the sentence I'm talking about is displayed via "sideRadio" instead of "directSay"

Just nee dto replace the sideRadio by the directSay :)

I'll check it ASAP.

Also, could you please add a possibility for the player to skip the intro?

Like "skip" in the pause menu?

Thanks

On the one side I don't understand, why so many peoples want to skip intro. I thing that is realy important to know what was happend in intto to fully understand the story. On the other side, implemen this "skip feature" on the begin of the intro is not so complicate, so I will probably implement it in next patch... btw can you tell me, why you want to skip the intro?

When you want to replay the mission from the beginning, it's kind of annoying :-)

When you want to replay the mission from the beginning, it's kind of annoying :-)

Exactly. :)

New version released. Some minor adjustments and the ability to skip intro added. :)

I'm proud that I can announce that project Deliverance is now complete. You can download part 2 from steam workshop! Link was updated on first page. Enjoy!

Good, downloading now!

However, is it a 2 missions campaign? Or will there be more later?

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Also, same thing as first part: is it possible to add a "switch intro" option? same reason.

And I can't have the subtitles and info (briefing, tasks).

Can you fix it too?

Thanks

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

I'm at the briefing at the camp: a dick on the board? Come on man! You serious?

Edited by Wiki

Sign in to follow this