654wak654

Simple Rank Patches

Note: This is the butchered down post. Technical info, more in-game pictures and a detailed installation tutorial can be found at the Armaholic download page!

SIMPLE RANK PATCHES V1.4.2

Description:

Simple Rank Patches is a highly configurable AddOn that automatically adds rank patches to all infantry's shoulders. It supports separate player and AI support, and it can even get a player's rank data from their squad URL.

Features:

• 7 different sets of rank patches.
  • Squad URL support. Explained in the included userconfig.
  • Multiplayer, Dedicated Server, JIP and Single player scenario compatible.
  • Other mod compatibility as long as the uniform/ unit mod supports the insignia system.
Some Pictures (Click for higher res):

UP9Z0Qo.jpg sBBH488.jpg

w8mehRW.jpg ZOl2Fv3.jpg

download_pages.png

news_download_a3_3.png

Simple Rank Patches v1.4.2

Very nice addon but rank patch vanish from the arm when I change uniform after logging on server. It works only with default one at the start. I'm talking about changing uniforms with vanilla ones of course.

Very nice addon but rank patch vanish from the arm when I change uniform after logging on server. It works only with default one at the start. I'm talking about changing uniforms with vanilla ones of course.

A month before when the insignias first came out in 1.24, while I was working in this the insignias automatically refreshed at a point (15 second checks as measured). Thought the BIS function checked it. I guess that's not a thing anymore. Will be adding my own check, which I just realised will also fix dynamically spawned units not having insignias in missions and campaigns sometimes.

Thank you for starting a small brain storm sir!

EDIT: After some testing here is an interesting thing, even if you lose you insignia after changing uniforms (or even picking up the same one) the game still thinks you have a insignia, so there is no way to check if a unit with a previous insignia already has a visible patch or not. I will release an update with a long way of going around this. This is some feedback tracker stuff, but that's to report after I edit the wiki pages, because they don't have any resources there.

Edited by 654wak654

after trying them out, i only have 1 thing to add.

in my opinion they are a bit to big, if you want to have them close to real life as possible, the size would need to be reduced alot i believe (if your not aiming for real life, if would be nice if you could make them smaller of course, and maybe make them in 4ish different colors), and it would be nice if you could include it all the way to General if possible, i know arma only goes to colonel, but it would be a nice thing to have :)

but other then that awesome work!

in my opinion they are a bit to big, if you want to have them close to real life as possible, the size would need to be reduced a lot i believe (if your not aiming for real life, if would be nice if you could make them smaller of course, and maybe make them in 4ish different colors), and it would be nice if you could include it all the way to General if possible, i know arma only goes to colonel, but it would be a nice thing to have :)

You kinda explained the general yourself, and if you read the stuff in ArmAHolic page you can see I'm limited by ArmA's ranks only because I want this to be all automated.

About size, it's because the patches have to be visible from a bit far away from 2 meters, since this is a video game, not real life the vision is nowhere as good as our eyes in real life. I actually did them as big as possible! You can read the "Reality vs Gaming" part in dslyecxi's ArmA 3 Tactical guide, which shaped my opinion about this.

About different colors, we go back to the automaticness of the mod. There is no way for me to make it compatible with everything if I try to do different color variants. I tried to do that with different patches for different teams but different camouflages then default and divers it showed it wasn't possible. If I can get my hands on good quality samples of the Steam Badges (With a Col.) or ArmA 3 Black & White ranks.

• Like 1

As informative that dyslecxi is about telling us shit we already know, the brain still processes the size factor when doing mods. Like when I do a gun it has to "look right" on the character body, and I've spent some time resizing some Arma 2 models because for some reason they get the size a bit bigger than real life counterparts. So having not read the guide and readjusting weapons it's a fair bet saying that I'd probably look at your patches and say "yeah bro, you need to make them smaller." in relation to the character model. And at two meters regardless of real life and game life, it's still probably too big. Hell back in VBS1 I've reshaped the 1ID patch based on size issues.

Update has happened, and because I couldn't figure out how to send an update properly, and private messaging is not the most reliable way, to the Play With Six team: Can you change the author name from "Wak[MCo]" to 654wak654 in the small banner image?

Bazyleq hope this update works for you.

EDIT: Oh and EricJ, I'm just glad a big ccc posted on my thread, but I lost you after the first comma, maybe you could explain about the brain stuff. I'm keeping them big regardless, I love them big like... Damn I'm on my premature jokes day today.

Edited by 654wak654

But for the brain stuff your mind subconsciously knows what size is "right" through experience. Not so much always conscious thought, so if it "doesn't look right" its because your subconscious mind calculates the appearance of say, game stuff versus real world your brain says "That shit is fucking huge on that sleeve" (Like the 1st Cav patch, that fucker is huge, along with 2ID but that's standard). So if it's "just right" then it more or less is "right".

Edited by EricJ

I've seen them more on test grounds than the battlefield, maybe that's why the "right" look doesn't kick in. I'm just like "Can I see it?, can I see it now? What if I do this, what about this guy...", I don't really stop and think if it looks right, big or oriented (it is perfectly oriented, just giving more examples). I mean the script is finally working for all units. I'll work on size a bit when I get rid of the Wikipedia enlisted ranks images with Paint.net effects.

"Googled 1st Cav Patch", mine don't look THAT big!

Well I'm 6'4" so when I was in 1-82 FA it didn't look big either. However, you get a smaller Soldier and yeah that motherfucker is down to his waist (not literally but sometimes close) but yeah, the patch can look big relative to the individual.

But i think making them smaller is also a good idea as looking at the screenies it would make it less stretched and smaller would make it sharper IMHO though.

Thanks for sending us the new release :cool:

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Thanks for the update 654wak654 !

I will check it when PlaywithSix will have it as I use it solely for mods.

Kindly regards

Don't want to burst your bubble, but now adays, ranks are found on the chest of the uniform in the field.

• Like 1

I don't think I can do that, it whould require a retexture of the chest area, for each rank and uniform. Maybe if we get more selection areas than shoulders that whould be possible, but don't think it's happening.

Hi 654wak654,

Congrats to this fine mod, it definitely puts the new insignia system to good use. Question: does your mod also set insignias for AI soldiers or only for players?

Hi 654wak654,

Congrats to this fine mod, it definitely puts the new insignia system to good use. Question: does your mod also set insignias for AI soldiers or only for players?

Thanks that's what I tried to do :P. Answer: It sets it for both players and AI.

For normal users all player and AI have the patches but With 1.2.2 missions makers can disable that by putting a short line in they're init.sqf.

Edited by 654wak654

Thanks for sending us the hotfix version :cool:

New version not frontpaged (updated) on the Armaholic homepage as requested.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

Hello:

After I installed v1.2.3, I got a error message "'caching/' is not a class ['xeh' accessed]" after start game and start a mission.

That also show on Vanilla game only with @CBA and Simple Rank Patches.

I never see this message when I use older version.

What happened with v1.2.3?

NidhoggAC the issue is fixed with 1.2.4, thanks for noticing and telling me about it. It should work with no errors again.

Thanks again for sending us the new version :cool:

New version not frontpaged (updated) on the Armaholic homepage as requested.