Sign in to follow this  
1para{god-father}

Distance view Issue

I need some advice having some issues with my Terrain on distance views, close up all looks all nice but distance looks Crap !

example:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ej21gc8h243myr5/2014-08-18_00002.jpg

Using L3DT to generate my Sat Mask

Terrain Mapframe:

4096x4096 x 5 - 20480

sat & Mask Images are both 20480 x 20480

Sat Titles 1024x1024 @ 16

Texture Layer 40x40

Any help advice would be most welcome !

Hey God-Father :)

Are you referring to your clutter dissappearing at a certain distance? Have you played with:

clutterGrid = 1.3;

clutterDist = 110;

noDetailDist = 85;

fullDetailDist = 15;

in your terrain config?

Other than that maybe your ground textures and sat layer are too far apart in terms of colors? That will give a bad transition to sat layer.

I was referring to the crappy texture look on the mountains at distance it just looks very crap :(

would using surface mask 5 + normal work bet ?

Edited by 1PARA{God-Father}

I was referring to the crappy texture look on the mountains at distance it just looks very crap :(

would using surface mask 5 + normal work bet ?

Also have to remember that L3DT produces a satellite texture based on simple blended tiled textures (not of the highest quality) - where as an actual satellite texture produced from satellite imagery has a lot more variance in details/colour - which will likely look better when blended with your ground textures.

Using surface mask 5 + normal means you will also need to provide a normal map/texture for the terrain (should add extra dimension of depth), I believe L3DT produces one during it's generation pipeline - however I don't think this will make the the ground texture/satellite texture at distance look any better.

Perhaps also take a look at this thread here from Bad Benson, it may help - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?150645-midrange-terrain-texture-replacement

ahh many thanks , tough one as my terrain is all made up so cannot get actual Sat.

So making my sat bigger would not help then?

Looks like ill have to get better at Photoshop :)

ahh many thanks , tough one as my terrain is all made up so cannot get actual Sat.

So making my sat bigger would not help then?

Looks like ill have to get better at Photoshop :)

A bigger sat might help it look a little better - however even if your terrain is `made up`, you can copy features from satellite imagery and merge them in - but as you mention this requires a little bit of finesse with Photoshop.