Rydygier

[SP] HETMAN: War Stories

5-20 minutes means only one thing: something is totally broken and it's not that text. Similar problem may be caused by certain mods adding units. Your problem appears for A3 vanilla, or some mods are used? If there are any mods, try vanilla to see, if problem will appear again.

So, I removed all my mods and it seem AISS was the problem.. Hey hetman I like your mission but you think you can make a version where there is just one hetman commander (your side) and the enemy just comes in waves? like RUIS from arma 2?

Technically I could. But I do not want. I mean - why should I degrade opfor Hetman to the simple waves sender? What's the point in it? Let's leave such modifications for unofficial work - anyone can modify HWS into whatever he like, also into such thing, I'll not create such spin-offs. To many projects on my "desk" already.

So, AISS. Hmm. So far never tried it and can't say, why it reacts such a way with HWS.

A question: isn't AISS doing in general part of same things than Hetman? Anyway, from description I see, it messes with waypoints somehow. Such mods are not recommended to use with Hetman anyway - both will compete for control over the group instead of complement each other. If you want enhance low (unit) level AI behaviour try such mods instead.

After playing with HAL I found this mod and downloaded it from Steam. This is awesome; huge complex battles where as always you get to be a peon swept up in huge events you can hardly comprehend. The battles generated are more aggressive than the ones I built myself just using HAL. You really did seem to have tweaked out the commanders to be agressive.

I wouldn't be too quick to tone down the artillery. Artillery is pretty cool; as I've said before it's great having big Steel Beasts Pro PE style smoke screens laid down.

Also the vehicles do screw up in typical Arma fashion but by and large I'm really impressed with the way all the vehicles zip around. the Ifrit I was riding in was racing down the highway flawlessly at 60mph easily. :) I've never seen that before in single player.

One question. How does "Campaign" work?

I turned it on but I can't figure out what it's doing..exactly

Also, are there mobile units in Hunters and Ifrits going around using UAVs for artillery spotting or did you bother deploying them yet? Ditto for mobile units of mortar teams.

Getting uh...epic battles with it..

http://i.imgur.com/CA2skD8.jpg

Edited by Cadmium77

One question. How does "Campaign" work?

It's for now pretty simple feature. If you enable it for next battle, result of this battle will be memorized (battle must be conduncted till debriefing screen). That means, every next battle, unless you set "reset campaign", battlefield of this finished battle will be marked with the color of the winner. Amount of map area colored by given side (taken/conquered/held/whatever) have also some practical meaning. The more of it, the bigger chance for few more supporting units for that side each following battle, also individual group's morale will be strengthened, so lowered risk for panic/surrender behavior. This is slight change though, so side need to color major part of the map to make this noticeable.

Also, are there mobile units in Hunters and Ifrits going around using UAVs for artillery spotting or did you bother deploying them yet? Ditto for mobile units of mortar teams.

Assembling statics or sending UAVs by groups carrying such goodies on the backpacks is not implemented in HAL/HWS yet. Sooner or later probably should be as an option, although I consider such things as unit-level AI, so out of the HAL's scope. Better, if some low-level AI mod could do that instead.

Getting uh...epic battles with it..

:) Cool.

Edited by Rydygier

Although their classes aren't present in default Hetman's library yet, HWS has implemented automatic RHQ filler, that by intention should add each present in the config unit/vehicle class to its proper RHQ category. If this works fine for new helis, should be possible to see them in HWS' battles randomly, from time to time, as air (transport) support, if their faction is set of course. Not tested though.

I like the voice communications in battle showing up on the map so that you can follow the course of battle as the radio calls are printed out emanating from the particular unit that's broadcasting them. This is really marvelous stuff. These AI battles actually make more sense and are easier to follow than ones with real players on the other end of the line. A threatened unit just called for artillery smoke so it could withdraw from an overwhelming threat ( a tank) and within a minute there was a good smokescreen laid down.

You know Bis should buy this mod pass it out as an integral part of the game and hire Rydygier as a consultant on AI single player game dev.

Hey All;

I've done it in the past and someone recently asked so i updated it again.

Below is link to V1.06 for this mission on different maps. I also have included the new Bornholm map. Enjoy guys. AnD thanks for the owner of this mission! Love it.

[Download Dropbox]

Playing this mod all the time and loving it.

It got really good when I got the TPW MODS 2014 properly installed for great ambience, particularly the animal life, citizens driving and walking around to spook me with their headlights late at night and lots of aircraft. I'm not sure in fact if the aircraft were part of TPW or Hetman, but they were excellent. Jets moving fast and attacking from time to time, Also have CBA A3 RC4, JSRS2.2, and Blastcore A3 R3.

And look what showed up even though I never bought the download!

http://i.imgur.com/uvBjbhY.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5XARwmG.jpg

Also there's a campaign map I see with my victories and losses zone by zone. Very very cool

http://i.imgur.com/pi5zWRE.jpg

Love night battles, love artillery at night

http://i.imgur.com/LK18oSm.jpg

Usually when you shoot down a helicopter it just becomes a burned out shell. I've never seen it result in a vignette like this before.

http://i.imgur.com/TY5xUkm.jpg

Edited by Cadmium77

I'm not sure in fact if the aircraft were part of TPW or Hetman, but they were excellent. Jets moving fast and attacking from time to time,

That's interesting. Jets are generated by TPW for random flybys, and AFAIK should be neutral (set as captive), but if not, as long these exists, Hetman may sometimes take control over such airplane and use it in combat. Unless it's about skirmish component of TPWs. Sounds cool, but I have to check, if HAL can treat units "captivated" not by him as still combat ready allies of both sides with contradictory orders issuing...

Really like the mission, want to see if any of the issues I've encountered so far are already known/may be fixable:

1) The spectator camera seems to have a strong tendency to keep coming back to stationary, unarmed vehicles.

2) Repeated dismount, move 5 feet, mount orders for vehicles

3) Is there a way to disable the spectator camera ppeffects? I ended up manually editing the camera scripts but I'm curious if there's a better way.

and of course, the atrocious AI driving, but that's entirely on BI to fix

1) Camera is trying to find, paradoxically, most interesting places to show. But there are limited ways, I can translate "most interesting" to the script. One of the factors is amount of units close together, especially vehicles. In the same time Hetman tends to group support vehicles in one location. So we have the result. Thing is, it's generic version of Smart Camera from A2, not tailored to the Hetman's specificity. But I think, it's solveable - I can give more value for armed vehicles for example. We'll see.

2) IMO some kind of vanilla issue. Once I did all, I could to exclude chance, it's generated by Hetman interfering with vanilla AI behavior. If it is still there - not much I can do.

3) Well, if you edited the code, you could see RydSC_PPEffects variable. That's the way. Use advanced setup window and paste there this: RydSC_PPEffects = false; Should do the trick. Another problem with the camera is in A3 this code behaves differently comparing to A2 as for attaching to vehicles on the move. In A2 it was pretty stable and smooth (+ custom "hand shake" effect of course), here it's sometimes opposite.

As for AI driving - yes. All, we have at the moment is Liability Insurance mod (see first post, recommended addons), that prevents killing infantry by collisions with allied vehicles. They'll collide same as previous, but infantry will be in 99.9% cases immune to damage caused by the collision.

Edited by Rydygier

It was a bit tedious, but first version of RHS Merge RU mod is available in the first post under Recommended addons section. Still needs testing though. With this used, new faction named Russia (All) should appear in the initial settings window.

Thanks for letting us frontpage this new, small but usefull addon and thanks for the info about it :)

(using this thread for your addon discussion as discussed privatly)

RHS Merge (RU) v1.0 release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means soon you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Downloading the RHS merge with all the suggested mods. Thanks a lot for this both Rydygier and Foxhound. Great stuff.

Just checked out the Arma 3 update for Dec 4 2014;

Added: Class HeadlessClient_F to add Headless Clients into scenarios

any chance this will be embedded in Hetman War Stories anytime soon?

Not sure, don't know what exactly it does, I do not now much about headless clients implementation. I think, if this is an object, that just need to be on the map, anyone can check it right now by using advanced setup window to spawn this object anywhere on the map via simple object creation script. Not sure though, how it would help, as HWS is SP anyway?

Some patch should be needed for HWS though, as, working on regular Hetman, noted, they apparently changed few things in the config, that may cause at least two new issues in HWS regarding RHQ autofiller: no smoke ammo for SP mortars (change in the hit value of the shells?) and treating unarmed helos as armed (due to FFV "turrets"). Both solved yesterday for Hetman, so in the proper time should be applied also here.

EDIT: I read, what they said about HC on BIKI. Still not sure, if doable for HWS, but even if so, this need two PCs at least, right? If so, I'm unable to test, what I would write, which turns implementing of this into possible nightmare, where I'm releasing, waiting for others saying, it's not work, and then trying to guess, why. :) We'll see. I have other things to do for now.

Edited by Rydygier

Hi Rydygier,

Been using HETMAN script since A2OA, this mission makes it so easy now don't even have to fiddle with the editor.

Have a request not sure if it's easy or possible. Can the squad structure be more defined? e.g. If you are in a squad, have structure including fireteam, buddy team would be a bonus. That way when you start the mission as a fireteam leader (or buddy team lead in that matter) you can lead and control the team. That would spice up the mission further.

Thanks for the great mission! HETMAN War Stories and blackrain are pretty much the only SP missions I played.

Tuff

Hi. :) Currently HWS uses just vanilla groups, not sure, if possible to expand command hierarchy. I'll check that. If so - why not?

Hey Rydygier, in your init.sqf, after the setovercast you need to apply a "forceweatherchange;", then you get the desired clouds. Otherwise you only have that grey area at the horizon, but no initial clouds.

if not (RYD_WS_Weather < 0) then
{
skipTime -24;
86400 setOvercast RYD_WS_Weather;
skipTime 24;
forceweatherchange;
};

Edited by tortuosit

Indeed, thanks for the info. They had to change something, as some time ago it was working as is. But now - as you said, I have only few clouds and dark sky at full overcast, and forceweatherchange fixes that. Earlier messed with this command to determine, what exactly it does, but never noticed any difference, it could make. Now it's noticeable... And you know what? Just tried, and seems it finally works as its name suggested. Got expected result without any skipTime mumbo-jumbo, just plain:

0 setOvercast RYD_WS_Weather;

forceweatherchange;

:)

The disadvantage: with the clouds you get that loads of rain which comes from the engine (and can best be supressed via a perma loop).

Shame, so smooth overcast changes still doesn't work for short periods of time. You can get overcast from 0 to 1 instantly or very slowly. 10 setovercast 1 still doesn't work as supposed. Clearly, there is still much to do on weather topic. Still, good to see any (unexpected) progress...