Sign in to follow this  
MarutiaOrtia

So desired but very disappointing game that you have ever played?

Last Light is kinda weird though, the first one has better story, atmosphere and gunplay IMO. Something just felt off about the second one. I still like both and they achieve what they are trying to be: Linear, story driven FPS.

Anyway: Fallout3. I loved Fallout2 but i get the feeling that Bethesda just didn't grasp the atmosphere of the previous games. The design is very kiddy, the combat is boring and i just didnt get into it at all. It also suffers from a bad case of 'frosting shader' making the graphics look shitty. Though i guess i am the only one who feels this way.

No you are not. I also couldn´t really get into Fallout 3....

As for Fallout 3 and New Vegas, they are great games. But people shouldn't have expected the same isometric Fallout again...

Biggest disappointment is a game which was great, but is forgotten today because they digged their own grave:

X:REBIRTH

Now we have Elite Dangerous, maybe Star Citizen later (if it does not implode).

It's not such a great embarrassment as you're (for some reason) trying to imply. I also thought it was a kind of sandbox type game. Why? I saw the map, and it seemed to be that it might have been the kind of gameplay we get in the underground sections of Fallout3. Linear shooters don't normally get maps.

I probably sounded snarkier than I wanted, sorry about that.

It's just that I consider them to be different kind of games (sandbox vs corridor shooter), so I don't get any connections between them, even though both feature desolate metros and a lot of rubble

Also which map you are talking about? You mean the one in loading screens? For me that hardly warrants a sandbox aspect, since there is plethora of FPS games which do that as well, and lack the sandbox theme at the same time.

I am guessing people were really expecting another Stalker/Fallout 3 (the big names in postapocalyptic games) so that's why some of them were dissapointed in the end. *shrugs*

Last Light is kinda weird though, the first one has better story, atmosphere and gunplay IMO. Something just felt off about the second one. I still like both and they achieve what they are trying to be: Linear, story driven FPS.

Anyway: Fallout3. I loved Fallout2 but i get the feeling that Bethesda just didn't grasp the atmosphere of the previous games. The design is very kiddy, the combat is boring and i just didnt get into it at all. It also suffers from a bad case of 'frosting shader' making the graphics look shitty. Though i guess i am the only one who feels this way.

Well, for me Last Light felt much easier. They did water down some features and streamlined others, but it was still rather enjoyable for me. At least on the Ranger difficulty. :)

Also you would be surprised at how many people would agree with you on that Fallout sentiment (me included). F3 was fun to play (and mod), but I didn't really get any deep RPG experience from it, unlike New Vegas or the older Fallouts.

I am pretty disappointed about StarForge. From the early days I thought, yes, that sounds great, building, survival, exploration etc.. Seamless PG planet and universe. Sounds good, sandbox fun..

What I didn't realise at the time was, PG in this case, didn't mean what I thought, what we all think when they say PG (Procedurally Generated) but instead it was 'PG' Pathetic Garbage... :(

Not my biggest disappointment, but reasonably recent.. ;)

Guess you never heard of the RPG Codex ?

And, you got the right feeling, as you're right on top of it actually.

As for Fallout 3 and New Vegas, they are great games. But people shouldn't have expected the same isometric Fallout again...

It wasn't just the camera perspective & gameplay, but the writing and that whole Fallout feel and atmosphere was lost on Bethesda.

They really didn't grasp what made Fallout so good and seemed to try and make some KOOL post apoc world for ppl to wander around in.

Best way to look at it is a spin off, not a real Fallout game. Throw some hardcore type mods on there (avoid talking to anybody or paying attention to the childish writing) and just treat it like some post apoc survival game.

Yeah, I see Fallout 3/NV as different games. And as such, they are well done. Personally I think the Fallout series is in good hands at Bethesda.

Also, we have Wasteland 2 now.

Guess you never heard of the RPG Codex ?

Don't misguide people. Nobody has ever heard of the Codex. Codex is obsolete. What is the Codex. Its something wrong. Rpgwatch. Rpgwatch. Rpgwatch is the right path.

Edited by tortuosit