Sign in to follow this  
nodunit

Valiant Hearts: The Great WAr

That's supposed to be Valiant HEARTS...*facepalm*

For those of you looking for a game about a story of people in a war rather than the war itself then I highly recommend you look into this game.

It is developed by Ubisoft Montpellier and I know Ubisoft has had some lumps and they really made a woopsy back in E3 but to simply ignore this game because "Ubisoft" would be a travesty.

(note the game is a puzzle/action adventure, NOT a shooter)

To give you the basics, a French man named Emile and his son in law Karl of German origin are separated thanks to the war.

Both men are drafted into their respective countries army's, and I don't want to say anything else because the story is better that way.

The art style doesn't beat you over the head with depressing scenery but rather frolics between colorful and dreary, remembering that while the atrocities are horrible there are also up beat moments.

It also showcases some of the best examples of our humanity on the edge without beating us over the head with it, a simple image of a man being tortured with soldiers nearby laughing and listening to music, a point at which you come across an 'enemy' combatant, carrying a weapon and rather than kill you or you him, you cooperate. It also doesn't beat you over the head with the whole "WAR IS BAD" thing, it doesn't tell but instead shows, it doesn't glorify war by making it look "awesome", and it doesn't paint extremes like most war games do..you start off charging across a field in a Saving Private Ryan esque style but thats where any similarities to most war games end, and I don't want to spoil it.

The game will tug are your emotions in a mature way, that makes the civilian airport massacre in COD appear childish in comparison ( well it is but even moreso) but unlike most war games it also has a sense of humor with silly but fun boss fights or the occasional over the top situation, it doesn't take itself too seriously or see itself there for just laughs, it lets you the player decide how these things effect you rather than say YOU SHOULD FEEL THIS WAY.

Oh my god would a moderator please fix that A it is driving my OCD into insanity.

Edited by NodUnit

Thanks for your review NodUnit, I keep seeing this on steam and liked the art direction, something different, I might look a bit deeper, Sounds Interesting.

Thanks for your review NodUnit, I keep seeing this on steam and liked the art direction, something different, I might look a bit deeper, Sounds Interesting.

Yep, me too, desperately looking for some decent WW1 game...

Admittedly the game mechanics do slow it down from time to time, but it tells its story well enough and has some very gripping moments, even made me tear up a bit at the end.