Sign in to follow this  
tripod27

Tweaked Night Vision Script

Just a script I made to make night vision a bit less ridiculously perfect (might as well call it "any time it's not too bright to use" vision because it's just regular vision except green and better at seeing through shadows)

Now this probably isn't realistic (watch the videos to decide for yourself) , since I've only ever used terrible NV and my only experience with Gen 3 is from youtube videos, so feel free to add suggestions and I'll try to change it

Honestly I've never scripted before and couldn't find any night vision mods so I just decided to make my own

to use the script just DOWNLOAD IT and follow the instructions at the top of the file. You NEED to have your graphical settings on at least medium for it to work though, since it only works with post processing effects

REQUIRES Community Base Addons 3

Edited by Tripod27

That's very nice! I'll have to test it tomorrow but based on the videos, I think it's quite close to the real thing.

Yeah my military buddy said the blur around the edges is unrealistic but I really like the effect so I don't wanna get rid of it

If people don't like it they can just change the radial blur section of the script

I always welcome more realistic NV, but I tried to reduce the blur as it's really hard to see even 100m with it. I couldn't work it out though, I though ppEffectAdjust would help but it didn't work. Also it affects the rangefinder, leaves it quite useless honestly.

In my mission on terrible rain and fog conditions but good moonlight I can just barely recognise soldiers above 200 meters, and most people list night vision standard range at 350ish in decent conditions.

Do you have moonlight when you're testing? I can help you adjust it when I get back but I'm on my phone right now

EDIT: ok to change it go to the blur and film settings

ppBlur ppEffectAdjust [0.22 + (_zoomIntensity * 0.45)]; 
   ppBlur ppEffectCommit 0; 

ppFilm ppEffectAdjust [0.22, 1, _zoomIntensity, 0.4, 0.2, false];
   ppFilm ppEffectCommit 0;

and change them to

ppBlur ppEffectAdjust [NUMBER HERE*(0.22 + (_zoomIntensity * 0.45))]; 
   ppBlur ppEffectCommit 0; 

ppFilm ppEffectAdjust [0.22, 1, NUMBER HERE*(_zoomIntensity), 0.4, 0.2, false];
   ppFilm ppEffectCommit 0;

and change NUMBER HERE to whatever you want the effect to be increased or reduced by, so 0.5 for 50% and 2 for 200%, since all it does is multiply the code you had before by that much

EDIT AGAIN: I just did some testing, and even on moonless nights I can see a moving man sized target just barely (smudge slightly darker than the ground around it) at almost 600 meters. I also found that the blur effect is scaling too much at range as well as a few other things.

Redownload for the updated version and if you still have issues spotting then I don't know, is your brightness set up right? is your monitor old? The monitor I'm using for my second screen is only 4 years old and was pretty modern at the time but it's contrast ratio's terrible so I can barely see anything out of it

Edited by Tripod27

Is it possible in time to have a .pbo version released in the future so you don't have to manually add it to missions, but is ready to go from startup perhaps? Really liking this a lot from my testing. :)

Is it possible in time to have a .pbo version released in the future so you don't have to manually add it to missions, but is ready to go from startup perhaps? Really liking this a lot from my testing. :)

I've had issues using any of the pbo programs for some reason :/ if someone posts a link of a pbo'd version of the script I'll edit it into the main post for others no problem though

I've had issues using any of the pbo programs for some reason :/ if someone posts a link of a pbo'd version of the script I'll edit it into the main post for others no problem though

Awesome. Well listen, I love your NVG script a lot so while I have zero knowledge of this kind of work, I read a few walkthrough posts from community members on how to turn scripts into addons. So I tried it out, and sure enough it works! If you want to look at it, change anything, etc--be my guest. The script was slightly edited to lessen the blur around the view since my eyes are rubbish and I get slightly nauseous with game-blurs, heh. So if you want, download it--and tweak away, drop in the unedited script, etc. This nvg tweak is just too good to not try getting it in as an addon, so I wanted to try and help ya out.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/yrzaae2zl5m8hr1/@Tripod_NVG.rar

Sorry for bumping this thread, but i have spent all weekend on trying to get my values in this nice little script. But it just didnt look right...

And just today i realised that the color settings is an overlay on the existing colors in the original NV.

So my question is: Is there any way to flush out/delete/remove the original settings on the original NV?

Or is there any other mods/script out there that can handle only my values as NV?

I have found this but cant relly get it to work at all...

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/arma-mission-development/144094-nightvision.html

If there is no help any time soon i will get locked up at a mental care...

Save me from that please!