Sign in to follow this  
KeyCat

Slow listing in MP lobby!

Since the last month or so the MP lobby is performing very poorly for me. Listing available games takes very long time, switching between Gamespy/STEAM completely freezes the game for ~20-30 seconds. More often than not clicking on Refresh bring up an empty list or showing different servers available between refreshes, whats going on?

Anyone else experiencing this or is it just me?

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

I don't experience the freezing you're describing, but the server listing is indeed slow!

Thanks for the input Andrey! I tried to reboot my router but MP lobby is still painfully slow! People said that STEAM would work much better but don't know where they got that from?

BTW, do you use any filters?

/KC

Thanks for the input Andrey! I tried to reboot my router but MP lobby is still painfully slow! People said that STEAM would work much better but don't know where they got that from?

BTW, do you use any filters?

/KC

Usually yes, but the main problem is that a lot of servers don't show up (or take a long time to show up) and I have to manually filter search them in order to find them! Also, steam friend joining only works 0.1% of times.

I'm experiencing everything mentioned...

Hopefully BIS give this atrocious MP lobby some love in the near future since I think it may pi** off lots of people trying to dip their feets into the multiplayer world...

/KC

---------- Post added at 13:09 ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 ----------

I'm not very fond of opening lots of separate ports in the router, 1-2 ports or a small range is OK but opening ports scattered all over the 65K range is not and UPnP is avoided due to the added security risk!

However I found this table and will test if opening the additional STEAM ports 8766 and 27016 will improve things in the MP lobby...

2302 (Arma3 Game port) + (VON is now part of main gameport due to NAT issues)
   2303 (Server reporting)
   8766 (Steam port)
   27016 (Steam query port)

Source: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Dedicated_Server

Required Ports for Steam

Which ports do I need to open on my router or firewall for Steam?

Your network must be configured to allow Steam access to the following ports (in order from highest to lowest priority for QoS users):
Steam Client

UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive (Game client traffic)
   UDP 27015 to 27030 inclusive (Typically Matchmaking and HLTV)
   TCP 27014 to 27050 inclusive (Steam downloads)
   UDP 27031 and 27036 (incoming, for In-Home Streaming)
   TCP 27036 and 27037 (incoming, for In-Home Streaming)
   UDP 4380

Source: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8571-GLVN-8711

/KC

I'm experiencing everything mentioned...

Hopefully BIS give this atrocious MP lobby some love in the near future since I think it may pi** off lots of people trying to dip their feets into the multiplayer world...

Indeed, I wish A3 gets a server browser like DayZ (it's not the best, but it's better than this)

Very slow and filters just fail... I never turn on *UPnP. Thats lame if thats the issue. I wont turn on *UPnP for Steam or anything. Soo just slow I guess.

Edited by kklownboy
stupid typo, brain-dead logic...

Tested last night and by opening the additional STEAM ports 8766 and 27016 the ~20-30 sec freeze when switching between Gamespy/STEAM was gone but server listing was same as before.

Since Gamespy is history this is really no problem and I see BIS is already on it in latest dev build. Hopefully that takes care of the filter and speed issues as well!

Server browser:
Removed: GameSpy logo
Removed: GameSpy / Steam switch
Server count is now in-engine instead of scripted
Added: Player's name

/KC

Setting CafeRate = 8000 helped my oldish Netgear router cope with the traffic. Lobb is still slow and misses servers on refresh but a improvement none the less.

/KC