Sign in to follow this  
shifty_ginosaji

Hidden In-Game Armaverse Europe/Middle East map

I was taking cover behind a newsstand when I realized what i was looking at, the first world map in ArmA.

The visible portion of the map stretches from Spain to Japan and does not contain the Green Sea, I understand it is probably just a geosat image but this is the first ever map that details any significant portion of the world.

Any thoughts about where Chernarus ran off too?

http://i.imgur.com/cfIouhr.jpg (234 kB)

http://i.imgur.com/woZk3z4.jpg (152 kB)

http://i.imgur.com/T7SJxAO.jpg (142 kB)

As far as I know all previous Arma maps were fictional and weren't based on any real place more so, that they were based on a collective tone of voice of a place. Arma 3 is the first map I believe, that they actually based on an excisting place. So I don't think you can actually find Chernarus on the world map.

It's just the AAN backdrop. "Our World, Your News".

As far as I know all previous Arma maps were fictional and weren't based on any real place more so, that they were based on a collective tone of voice of a place. Arma 3 is the first map I believe, that they actually based on an excisting place. So I don't think you can actually find Chernarus on the world map.

To update your knowledge, that is in fact incorrect.

Although BIS doesn't like to put the proper names on the actual places for obvious reasons, it is apperantly much easier to reuse existing terrain with satellite data and get the realism of real-world terrain then to try to mimic an actual location.

Edited by Bravo_Two_Zeroq

Additionally, most the terrains from OFP were based on real places:

Malden (Lefkas)

Desert Island (Meganisi)

Everon (Krk)

Kolgujev (Tenerife)

Nogova has several places inspired my real locations but to the best of anyone's knowledge is not based on a real island. I don't believe anyone was able to figure out what Porto or Sahrani were based on either.

To update your knowledge, that is in fact incorrect.

Although BIS doesn't like to put the proper names on the actual places for obvious reasons, it is apperantly much easier to reuse existing terrain with satellite data and get the realism of real-world terrain then to try to mimic an actual location.

Interesting. Indeed to create believable worlds you would have to spend a good amount of time studying geology or whatever science about mountains, vegetation and so on so you wouldn't end up with a desert next to a swamp or something such.

Snatching something from the wet world is easier.