Sign in to follow this  
Jergling

ARMA 2 OA crashes on dedicated card

Hello, Bohemians, I've got a rather strange issue with just A2:OA.

While A2 alone launches just fine, A2:OA shows a black screen and then crashes immediately ("ARMA 2 OA has stopped working"). Since the .RPT tells me it has to do with igdumdim32.dll (an Intel graphics driver), I tried forcing it to run on my integrated card, which worked. Switchable graphics has historically given me a lot of trouble, so this comes as no surprise. The problem is, OA runs at about 1 fps on my Intel card, so I really need to get it running on the dedicated 7970m. Here is a copy of my .RPT file:

=====================================================================

== C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead\ArmA2OA.exe

== "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead\ArmA2OA.exe"

Exe timestamp: 2014/05/18 13:17:16

Current time: 2014/05/21 20:43:05

Version 1.62.95248

Starting process failed.

Warning: looped for animation: ca\anims\characters\data\anim\sdr\mov\erc\wlk\non\non\amovpercmwlksnonwnondf.rtm differs (looped now 0)! MoveName: amovpercmstpsnonwnondnon_amovpercmstpsraswpstdnon

Warning: looped for animation: ca\anims\characters\data\anim\sdr\mov\erc\wlk\non\non\amovpercmwlksnonwnondf.rtm differs (looped now 1)! MoveName: amovpercmrunsnonwbindf_rfl

SetFace error: class CfgFaces.WomanHead.Face97 not found

Error: Error during SetFace - class CfgFaces.WomanHead.Face97 not found

== c:\users\xxxxxxxxxx\documents\arma 2\beta_oa\arma2oa.exe

== "c:\users\xxxxxxxxxx\documents\arma 2\beta_oa\arma2oa.exe" "-par=C:\Users\the_e_000\AppData\Local\SIX Networks\Play withSIX\Cache\par\arma2oapc.txt" -nosplash -nofilepatching

Exe timestamp: 2014/05/21 20:48:44

Current time: 2014/05/21 20:48:59

Version 1.62.103718

Starting process failed.

=======================================================

-------------------------------------------------------

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 5EBDA9C4

Version 1.62.103718

Fault address: 5EBDA9C4 01:000199C4 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igdumdim32.dll

file:

world: Desert_E

Prev. code bytes: F7 DE 1B F6 23 75 A8 69 F6 F0 00 00 00 03 77 48

Fault code bytes: 83 7E 14 02 75 30 8B 45 AC 8B 40 2C A8 04 74 04

Registers:

EAX:00000000 EBX:00000000

ECX:01B1E140 EDX:018EF2A0

ESI:00000000 EDI:01B1E140

CS:EIP:0023:5EBDA9C4

SS:ESP:002B:018EF1D8 EBP:018EF250

DS:002B ES:002B FS:0053 GS:002B

Flags:00010246

=======================================================

note: Minidump has been generated into the file C:\Users\xxxxxxxxx\AppData\Local\ArmA 2 OA\arma2oa.mdmp

Any help is appreciated. There are now 4 threads going back several months with this exact issue (some with the same 7970m as mine) that have no resolution (and no responses). It seems to have cropped up relatively recently, but it's not clear why.

If this is happening with other 7970's then you might have found a bug in ArmA 2. But seriously, why run ArmA 2 OA which such a gpu? Why not ArmA 3? It is so much more fun and immersive than ArmA 2...

If this is happening with other 7970's then you might have found a bug in ArmA 2. But seriously, why run ArmA 2 OA which such a gpu? Why not ArmA 3? It is so much more fun and immersive than ArmA 2...

Well, admittedly, I'm trying to get it to work so I can install DayZ. I own A3 already, but that's a whole different world, ya know?

I assume you mean DayZ Mod? Nowadays, DayZ is referenced as the standalone version of the mod.

From your .rpt file you don't have problem with game you have problem how did you start the game because your game crash when you start game with PWS app.

Same problem here black screen and then crash. But with GTX560. So not 7970 exclusive.

For some time "shift" + "-" and "flush" helped if i managed to do it before crash, but lately the crash ocurs immediately after the black screen so i dont have time to type it.

Also same problem with Take on Helicopters. So it is not even Arma 2CO exclusive.

Also it is Random sometimes i play entire saturday without problem, sometimes it keeps crashing constantly.

What video memory settings are you both using? It should be left at default when using the cards that you have.

Horus: I've run it from Steam, PWS, and directly by the .exe, all give the same error.

IT07: Mine should be default, since I haven't gone in to change settings. I did adjust my resolution when I launched it on my integrated card, but that's it.

Mirek: I don't think you're having the same problem, this is specific to laptops with switchable graphics, and it completely prevents me from playing. Check your .rpt file for "igdumdim32.dll".

I think the problem is that the game always loads under the assumption that I'm using my first (integrated) graphics card. It's probably an issue to take up with Bohemia support, but I wanted to know if anyone had solved it.

EDIT: Horus, I just realized my RPT contains two completely different errors, one when I start it through steam, and another when I start it through PWS. I'll look into this.

Update: The top error (Error during SetFace) happens because I hadn't validated files. Ignore that section. Only the segfault occurs regularly.

Edited by Jergling

Sorry I don't see that you have same problem when you start game through steam, too :icon_neutral: .

Did you try to force game to run on dedicated card?

Edited by Horus

Yes, Horus, this is how I found out it only ran on the integrated card.

What is your laptop spec and which OS do you use?

What is the meaning of: "integrated card" and "dedicated card" ?

Integrated card is a small (usually) low-power graphical processor that is fried to the motherboard.

However, dedicated is a graphical processor that can be taken and put onto the motherboard; commonly known as "a graphics card" or "gpu".

I'm running a Sager/Clevo NP9170 with an Intel i7-3720qm (with HD4000 graphics), AMD 7970m, 8gb of RAM and Windows 8.1. Win8 has been the source of a number of compatibility troubles for people I know, but never for me. It typically requires slightly different drivers from Win7, and I've been considering moving back to 7 for a number of reasons, not the least of which is unstable performance in games like BF4 and ARMA 3.

Not sure when I'll get around to downgrading, but maybe we should put this thread on hold until then. It's the only thing I can think of trying.

Did you have latest drivers for Intel HD and AMD? Or try some modded driver.