Sign in to follow this  
Glenkinchie

New Building Modelling

Can anyone let me know a little about the process of adding new buildings to maps?

I am able to model in Blender, and would be interested to see if I could create new structures.

I would like to know about the technical limits (vertices, texture resolution, etc), and what is needed to be done to be accepted by the renderer. Clearly, the destructible buildings in A3 use multiple models and textures to indicate damage. How do you compile your art assets into something the engine understands?

Thanks in advance.

Glen.

Verts, polies and so on are able to be a higher count with the engine ARMA 3 runs... I can't remember the limit off the top of my head, though I know it's fairly high. I wanna say close to being 64k polies. As far as texture res and what not. It is what you make them pretty much... Typically most games use 2k maps. As far as the actual modeling process. You need to model the building, then model a collision mesh for it. If you're not familiar with collision meshes. It is essentially a basic shape around the actual object. For example a weapons crate. It would have a simple collision mesh around the object as a cube, rectangle and so on. Then this is added inside the model config. As far as the "destructible buildings" is bits and pieces of the model, actually modeled out to look like it was destroyed. Again more things for the model configs. Good luck

Also be sure to model using meters. Otherwise, your scales will be way off.

20k is the accepted limit for models you can go over but you would need to proxy in the extra polys.

20k real vertex count, so after UV-splits and hard surface splits are applied - per LOD

To get an idea of what you need in your arma model you should take a look at the different LOD's of the A3 Sample Model Building in O2 (/Object builder)