Sign in to follow this  
BatSpoggy

Number of AI headshots seem disproportianate to anybody else?

I've noticed that while the body armour changes have much improved on the previous issues with enemes taking an outrageous number of rounds before dropping, a new issue seems to have cropped up in its place:

The AI seem to hit far too many headshots, especially at range.

I have tested this by using a damage modifier to reduce bullet damage to almost nothing, from this I established that headshots are always a one-shot kill regardless of bullet damage and protection worn.

I tried an actual scenario with these settings for a laugh, and promptly discovered that it makes no real difference to the difficulty of the scenario even if you reduce only the enemy weapons to 0.001% damage as the lack of bullet damage to other areas does not affect them when every shot is a miss or a headshot, never a center-mass shot.

This seems like a problem to me as it makes engagements unrealistic, you rarely see wounded soldiers at all, they are either unharmed or dead.

Is anybody else seeing a similar issue here?

Honestly, I don't really get this. I mostly get shot center mass except at extremely close ranges, where it's headshots after headshots. The AI isn't as bad (or as good) as the hyperbolic statements say that they are, even if they're pretty bad at situations. I actually think that CQB can be quite fun if you use certain mods, like TPW Fall.

Seriously though, am I horribly tolerant of stuff and casually ignore it or do some people have a serious problem that I don't?

Edit: I forgot to mention this. Go shoot a NATO soldier in the head with a 9mm (not in real life, please don't do this) and you'd realize that it takes at least 2 shots, even more if they're glancing shots. I don't think that headshots are instakill at any range, with any damage.

I seem to get hit with headshots more than anything, and I notice bodyshots as I have TPW Fall, so when I'm hit in the body I fall over. I've just tried it and I can kill a NATO soldier with one shot from the 9mm.

As I said, I've turned weapon damage down by multiplying it by a factor of 0.1, at this it takes up to ten bodyshots to kill, or a single headshot.

Yes, I noticed something similar after lowering AI's accuracy. It seems that when AI's accuracy set to values near zero, enemy rarely able to hit player (as expected) but every successful shot tend to be a lethal headshot. This strange issue disappeared after AI's accuracy was set to reasonable values.

I don't think it's a bug though. In one of the lastest TECHREPs BI warned that AI can be broken with some combination of difficulty settings.

Edited by Semiconductor

One shot? Is that with the helmet on? Well, something must have changed since the last time I tested it. Could explain a few strange situations I've been in recently. Further testing is needed.

The ARMA3 AI nearly always kills you in one shot and that's how it's always been.

On the other hand you usually have to shoot the AI like 4 times before they die and they can even take a bullet with basically any weapon straight in the brain and then walk away.

It's an AI/health issue.

The ARMA3 AI nearly always kills you in one shot and that's how it's always been.

I don't agree, the head-shot phenomenon began for me after the previous patch when they change AI difficulty settings. I hardly ever get wounded any more, just instant death from a head-shot, very often at ridiculously long ranges. This is NOT how it was before that patch.

For me this game is only playable with mods such as TRW fall, Mao bullet damage, and GL5. Vanilla is pretty bad.

Yes, I noticed something similar after lowering AI's accuracy. It seems that when AI's accuracy set to values near zero, enemy rarely able to hit player (as expected) but every successful shot tend to be a lethal headshot. This strange issue disappeared after AI's accuracy was set to reasonable values.

I don't think it's a bug though. In one of the lastest TECHREPs BI warned that AI can be broken with some combination of difficulty settings.

Yep. As of now I have my AI set to custom and completely maxed out. It may seem a bit extreme, but it works surprisingly well. They barely (if at all) miss but it's almost always center mass shots, so I find it fair.

Increase the AI's skill and they headshot you less. TIA my friends, TIA.