Sign in to follow this  
LtShadow

@RealSound - REAL Weather - What are your thoughts?

Really great as usually, your work never seizes to make me imagine an Arma with all the right sounds it was meant to have. Real Sounds. This is AMAZING! Ounce this is out, i hope servers use it so i don't have to play a day without this. Fantastic work! Keep it up!

Definitely sounds awesome. Hopefully you're able to pull off giving sounds with context (ie, rain on rooftops/vehicles, quieter sounds indoors).

My only critique is maybe working on the timing of the thunder. Seems to take a very long time for visible and probably fairly close lightning. Just out of curiosity, did you have samples for closer and far thunder? Seemed like the first two bolts made more of a crack, being closer, while the further bolts had that rumbling build up of distant thunder. Was that just a coincidence or something you're actually doing?

Either way, I think the video was really what I needed to be sold on this. I guess I never considered how lacking the ambient sounds are in ArmA 3 :p Keep up the awesome work!

Definitely sounds awesome. Hopefully you're able to pull off giving sounds with context (ie, rain on rooftops/vehicles, quieter sounds indoors).

My only critique is maybe working on the timing of the thunder. Seems to take a very long time for visible and probably fairly close lightning. Just out of curiosity, did you have samples for closer and far thunder? Seemed like the first two bolts made more of a crack, being closer, while the further bolts had that rumbling build up of distant thunder. Was that just a coincidence or something you're actually doing?

Either way, I think the video was really what I needed to be sold on this. I guess I never considered how lacking the ambient sounds are in ArmA 3 :p Keep up the awesome work!

well according to science it would actually take some time considering sound travels at around the speed of 343 meters per second, so each second the sound would take ~0.343 Kilometers, and the distance in the video is probably around 700 IMO,the rumble is mostly heard from farther bolts as the sound waves have weakened significantly. while closer bolts make the crack because the sound has just started, its like guns, at some point the sound goes from the crack sound to the pop sound

Will you do some wind sounds that depend on the wind speed so you can actually hear how windy it is and maybe even hear the gusts? Maybe even somehow wind sound would change depending where you're watching so you can estimate the direction? Would be pretty epic. Weather sounds are important for immersion and wind sounds would help even in some mods that use wind ballistics.

well according to science it would actually take some time considering sound travels at around the speed of 343 meters per second, so each second the sound would take ~0.343 Kilometers, and the distance in the video is probably around 700 IMO,the rumble is mostly heard from farther bolts as the sound waves have weakened significantly. while closer bolts make the crack because the sound has just started, its like guns, at some point the sound goes from the crack sound to the pop sound

Sadly, I am only limited to how many samples the ArmA 3 engine allows. The thunder is broken down into 4 samples; 2 for the normal bolts and 2 for the heavier bolts. Each sample is either Near or Far, so depending on the players position, it will play either sample.

I am contacting scriptwriters who will be able to help me with detecting if a player is in a vehicle, in a house, or out walking/running outside and play those certain rain sound effects.

As for wind; I do not think I am going to mod the wind effects, as they are already "pretty good" when it becomes overcast.

Thank you all for the support!

Don't forget to check out my @RealSound mods on my YouTube channel! :) youtube.com/tbo100