Sign in to follow this  
UnSub

Handguns

I've done a couple of searches and came up with nothing, so I don't think this question has been asked before:

What are your opinions on the handguns included in Resistance?

I've read the complaints about their accuracy, but I haven't found any discussion about their effectiveness or a comparison of their attributes. Personally I've found the Sa61 Scorpion to be the best handgun available, but I really haven't used them much since rifles are so much more effective.

Where handguns a useful addition to OpF?

i'd say yes..you get more guns smile.gif so when you run out of rifle ammos you can switch to pistol if you have it.

About the only time I'll pull out the handgun is if I'm carrying a sniper rifle and have to move through a village. I just find it's easier to aquire targets with it.

COLINMAN

After the pistols came I seem to keep firing my main weapon untill I'm out of ammo for it, then switch to my sidearm as a last resort before I look for more ammo.

I find that sidearms are a great addition to OFP biggrin.gif

-Love'em except for the well-known mag-capacity-issues

As shadow said, they're great when you run out of ammo!

And they are nice when you are a sniper.

But I have to complain about their accuracy..

I was sniping poor bastards from over 300m, and just for the heck of it,

I tried it with a pistol, and *boom* I made a kill with a pistol from 300m!

biggrin.gif

Pistols are great in OFP...especially for characters like snipers and heavy grenadiers.

If there were any changes to be made it would be possibly adjusting the accuracy to a more realistic level, and changing mag capacities to correct figures.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Major Fubar @ Sep. 04 2002,14:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Pistols are great in OFP...especially for characters like snipers and heavy grenadiers.

If there were any changes to be made it would be possibly adjusting the accuracy to a more realistic level, and changing mag capacities to correct figures.<span id='postcolor'>

that's exactly the point!

the new weapons rock but they're not realistic!

please BIS, change it with the next patch!

I sincerely hope BIS can balance between gameplay and realism when it comes to tweaking the pistol's accuracy. If they get ~100% reallistic they will become pretty useless.

My personal record with my Beretta 92FS is 44 points on a 25 meter-range  and 47 points with my .22 Buckmark meaning the practical range of a pistol is =<30 meters confused.gif

but it's not very funny to be shot by someone with a pistol from a distance of 300m confused.gif

if you want to use them at this distance you have to make them as strong as a rifle otherwise it doesn't make sense!

the pistols must be as strong as a HK but less accurate! or you have to aim for the head to kill with one shot.

The focus shouldn't be on using pistols the same way as a rifle...as I have said before, not all battles in OFP are open field 300m+ snipefests...especially with new user made islands coming out that incorporate larger urban areas.

Pistols are a great backup weapon or for close quarter combat, but no replacement for a good rifle! smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Major Fubar @ Sep. 05 2002,16:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The focus shouldn't be on using pistols the same way as a rifle...as I have said before, not all battles in OFP are open field 300m+ snipefests...especially with new user made islands coming out that incorporate larger urban areas.

Pistols are a great backup weapon or for close quarter combat, but no replacement for a good rifle!  smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Exactly, the pistols open up a whole new area of the game such as Police and closer-in fighting.

I think that they should add more pistols, but with silencers and some close quarters weapons like a shotgun (because kozlice has really poor accuracy even at close range), and some more submachineguns. I noticed that you can actually kill guys from pistol from a greater range than 300m! wow.gif If you practice a lot, you can become a handgun sniper. tounge.gif

I think that isn't a bad idea, but doesn't that move OpF away from being a squad-based military game? I've really never seen the ai use houses effectively - squad members seem much happier on open ground. When it comes out I'll be looking to get SWAT: Urban Justice to fill my CQC needs.

Anyway, back on topic, what are people's preferred handguns?

My opinion is that, yes, they really are great, and sidearms are something that should have been there from the begining, but, better late than never i guess smile.gif

Other than that, some arent that realistic. The beretta should be called the M9 and should hold 15 rounds, the glock17 should hold 18 rounds, and i think they really should have put in a silenced M9 for black ops instead of the glock.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aculaud @ Sep. 06 2002,07:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My opinion is that, yes, they really are great, and sidearms are something that should have been there from the begining, but, better late than never i guess smile.gif

Other than that, some arent that realistic. The beretta should be called the M9 and should hold 15 rounds, the glock17 should hold 18 rounds, and i think they really should have put in a silenced M9 for black ops instead of the glock.<span id='postcolor'>

smile.gifClicky smile.gif

ok CQB is a fine thing but you don't need very accurate pistols then. if BIS makes them more realistic the still work fine in CQB smile.gif

I like the pistols, but wasnt very satisfied with the wimpy sounds....however, Munger released BattleSounds v1.1 that introduces some nice meaty pistol firing sounds that are much more satisfying (the pack also changes almost all sounds in the game)...I liked it so much I decided to offer this great file on my site smile.gif You can get the pack by going to DigitalGrenade.com and clicking the red 'BattleSounds v1.1' button on the right side of the page. To me the new pistol sounds have added alot and it feels like Im shooting a gun now rather than a P-Shooter....Good work Munger!

I Agree it seems with most of you, PISTOLS ARE GREAT biggrin.gif.

As well as the extra ammo they have provided map-makers with many more idea's for missions, are are perfect companion for Heavy Grenadiers and Snipers, but always worth carrying.

OFP-R has delivered nearly all that i wanted from it with new vehicles and wepons as well as all the custom stuff. The new island is so much better then any of the others in the amount of landmass and the variety of terrain.

Now just need that netcode improvements ........

The problem is all recoil in OFP just goes directly up at a set value. So if u learn that "up" then u can always makes guns 100% accurate by firing the distance below that "up" works a treat with full auto AKs

also bad frame rates gives u no recoil, i was in a mission in lipany it was another map with g36s so every single person had them but i could shoot full auto no recoil casuse my framerate wasnt too good.

Not to mention that handguns are more appropriate for civilan and police units than assault rifles or machineguns.

Yes that is strange Ive noticed that too. If your frame rate is so bad you miss out the animation of the crosshair going up and down its not that u dont see ur innacuracy, Inaccuracy doesent happen. Lethal!

The handguns are just to damn...well...light. You don't feel like you've got a gun in your hand, it feels like a pea-shooter. Now, if we had a handgun with a kozlice noise, hehehe... wow.gif

tounge.gif PEACE