Sign in to follow this  
Pek

Having a average to high PC and still having lower FPS then someone with lesser specs

Alright... Its annoying the (insert vulgar language) out of me. I've encountered some people having a lesser setup then I have, and yet having the same FPS or sometimes even better. I have googled many ways to improve my FPS and tried every guide I could possibly find, tweaked the (insert vulgar language here) out of my Nvidia settings and even defragged my hard drive. But for some reason my A3 will still hang around 25-30 FPS on very high.

My specs:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0ghz

RAM: 8GB Lenovo @ 1333Mhz

GPU: ASUS GTX 660 2GB DDR5 OC

HDD: Samsung 320GB (A3 installed in /D partition)

PS: Raider 650W

Any suggestion? :confused:

Edited by Pek

you can see my specs below and i get 55-60fps

We have tried using the params but no luck even fiddling with the nvidia panel but we cant get his machine to run faster than 30fps...

he also says that low - ultra have no effect on fps

CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0ghz

There's the main issue. Arma is quite CPU dependent game. Single CPU core efficiency is much more important to Real Virtuality (the game engine that Arma uses) than having multiple cores, and that's an area where Intel CPUs are from 150 % to 200 % better than AMD CPUs. SSD would help too, if you experience stuttering (minor, continuous freezes in pic during the gameplay).

"Very High" is way too demanding video setting for GTX 660 too. I have factory OC'ed GTX 670, and the "High" preset is the sweet spot for me - with Very High selected, my performance is remarkably worse.

Every view distance setting is CPU-heavy, so you can improve your FPS a lot by setting the view distances to smaller values. Disabling shadows completely would help a lot too.

Edit: Oh, and if there's setting named "SSAO" still in the video settings, disable it completely. It's huge performance killer and often makes the scenery look even worse than without it. For example my FPS increased by 25-30% when I disabled it.

Edited by Ezcoo

These are the important specs:

Mobo (only important in compatibility/technical issues)

CPU

Graphics Card (including video memory)

Memories (amount, speed)

Storage (HDD/SSD)

OS (7/8 and 32/64-bit)

Screen size

You never mentioned screen size.

Quick tweaking guide:

Set everything to maximum (except post-processing, leave them at 100) then turn down:

Shadow distance to 100 (check difference)

View distance to 1600-3200 (Object distance should ideally be 100% but you can set it lower depending on personal preference)

Object detail to Standard-Very High (every step makes a difference)

Terrain detail to Standard-Very High (every step makes a difference)

ATOC (check difference after every step)

FSAA (check difference after every step)

Different HDAO settings/off (don't use SSAO at all)

Change one setting at a time, exit the options screen and enter the game completely (i.e.: don't watch the fps meter on the options screen) and then check the framerate/frametime using MSI Afterburner or any other utility while slowly turning around and moving a bit to have a general idea where your values including some variation.

Balance setting differences, especially view distance versus everything else. If you want a high view distance everything else will have to go lower.

On my current computer I can turn FSAA all the way up to x4 with absolutely zero slowdown however when I turn it up to x8 there is a slowdown so it’s important to try every setting one step at a time. You could be missing out on free settings or be using a setting that slows you down a lot without making a visual difference.

There’s also a lot you can do in Windows: terminate other programs and processes first. Any and all other tweaks such as disabling appearance settings, Aero and so on I don’t think has made any difference to anyone ever… especially not power settings. Most Windows settings that people say will make your games run better are just bullshit, ignore them.

Edited by Sneakson

Aero is recommended to turn off while gaming because it eats GPU RAM. Win 8 eats more than Win7.

"These tests were run on a Windows 7 x64 setup with Aero disabled. If you’re using Aero (or Windows 8/8.1, which doesn't have Aero), you should add ~300 MB to each and every individual measure you see listed below."

Source: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/graphics-card-myths,review-32882-5.html

Edited by mamasan8

You need to compare like for like. MP vs SP isnt a fair comparison, FPS can vary significantly between servers (differing binaries).

And sorry about your processor :(

lower view distance a lot, put object and terrain quality to low, 2x fsaa and fxaa should be doable in 1080p

Thanks for all the tips! I'l see what I can do. I never thought Aero takes to much GPU Memory... :/